Updated 08/18/2020 at 1:59 pm WCS Distance Education
GRADES 7 + 8
Welcome to WCHS Distance Learning! We look forward to getting to know you throughout our time together this semester! I am Mandy Bailey, and I am here to answer any questions you may have regarding Apex, our platform for distance learning. The following teachers will be coordinating your specific subject areas:
Mrs. Emily Gough: Science (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mr. Bradley Anderson: English (email@example.com)
Ms. Hannah Carroll: Social Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mr. Daniel Ayers: Math (email@example.com)
The information below provides a brief overview of what to expect during distance learning. I have also included a video to demonstrate a few Apex basics. Again, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
1. Enrollment: Most of you are enrolled in 4 courses. If you complete those 4 classes, we will work together to determine what course(s) you would like to add. Usually classes take 5-7 weeks to complete.
2. Availability of Instructors: Each teacher assigned to a subject area is available 3 days per week, during the assigned class period. The instructor will send a separate email letting you know what days and times he/she is available. During this time, you may ask questions and request quizzes to be unlocked. You MAY work ahead anytime you like, but if you need something unlocked, you will have to wait until the assigned class period. All instructors will open a few quizzes ahead, so this should not be an issue. Remember each instructor has 70+ students during this one period, so your patience is appreciated. Thank you!
3. What to do if you have a question/concern: 1) First, reach out by email to the instructor in the subject. Allow 24 hours for a response. 2) Second, if he/she cannot answer the questions, reach out to Mandy Bailey. Allow 24 hours for a response. 3) Third, contact your child's administrator.
4. Pace: You should be working on each course approximately one hour per day to stay on target. Be sure to complete all tasks carefully. The more time you spend reading/listening to the material, the easier the courses will be. It is definitely worth putting the time in on the front end.
5. Reading Vs. Listening: If you enjoy reading, please read all the coursework. If you do not enjoy reading and prefer to listen to each lesson, you can do that as well. In the upper righthand corner of each lesson, there is an icon with a person listening. Just click on that, and you can listen to all the lessons.
Here is a video overview of a few Apex basics. More information will come from the specific teachers for your courses.
Video Guide: https://youtu.be/X6mYGWyfC90
Please let me know if you have any questions! Again, looking forward to getting to know you all!