Human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the terms & conditions:
- Stepik hosts Your Content and provides Users access to it for the fee.
- Stepik charges Users the course price (specified by You) plus all applicable taxes (for example VAT for EU customers). We handle billing and other fee interaction with Users. We assume responsibility for both compliance with local laws and regulations and handling of sales taxes on Your behalf.
- Stepik fees are: 5% + $0.5 administrative and handling fee (percentage calculated based on the full amount with taxes), plus 5% platform fee (percentage calculated on the full amount with taxes). For example:
- For a $30 course with a 20% VAT customer we will pay you $25.9 ($30 - $30*1.2*0.1 - $0.5).
- For a $50 course with 0% taxes we will pay you $44.5 ($50 - $50*0.1 - $0.5).
- Stepik handles refunds, and we deduct the full amount from your next payments. Refunded payments have no fee, therefore we will refund you any previous fees related to this payment.
Instructor Terms & Conditions
These Instructor Terms & Conditions were last updated May 19, 2019.
If you are an Instructor, these Instructor Terms & Conditions (the “Instructor Terms”) contain the terms and conditions of Your participation as an Instructor of Paid Courses via Stepik Services.
- Key Definitions
- "Base Price" means the course price set by the Instructor.
- "Gross Amount" means the amount actually paid by User for Your Course.
- "Net Amount" means Gross Amount, less (1) Taxes (including VAT when applicable); (2) a five percent (5%) plus half of a dollar ($0.5) administrative and handling fee (percentage calculated based on the full amount with taxes); (3) a five percent (5%) platform fee (percentage calculated based on the full amount with taxes).
As an Instructor You are contracting directly with Stepic Inc, a Delaware corporation in the United States of America. Additionally, although We may utilize other Stepik subsidiaries to facilitate Your payments, Your contract remains between You and Stepic Inc.
- License to Stepik
You hereby grant Stepik a non-exclusive right and license to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, offer, market and otherwise use and exploit the Submitted Content through the Services, and sublicense it to Users for these purposes directly or through third parties. You have the right to remove all or any portion of Your Submitted Content from the Services at any time. Removal of Your Submitted Content will terminate the foregoing license and rights sixty (60) days after such removal as to new Users, provided, however, that any rights given to Users prior to that time will continue in accordance with the terms granted to such Users.
As an Instructor, You represent, warrant, and covenant that:
- You will be responsible for all of Your Submitted Content. You further agree that You own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions, and the authority to authorize Stepik, to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform (including by means of a digital audio transmission), publicly display, communicate to the public, promote, market and otherwise use and exploit any of Your Submitted Content on and through the Services in the manner contemplated by these Instructor Terms;
- No Submitted Content shall infringe or misappropriate any intellectual property right of a third party;
- You will not post or provide any inappropriate, offensive, racist, hateful, sexist, pornographic, false, misleading, incorrect, infringing, defamatory or libelous content or information;
- You will not upload, post or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes or any other form of solicitation (commercial or otherwise) through the Services or to any User;
- You will not engage in any activity that will require Stepik to obtain any licenses from or pay any royalties to any third party, including, by way of example and not limitation, the payment of royalties for the public performance of any musical works or sound recordings;
- You will not copy, modify, distribute, reverse engineer, deface, tarnish, mutilate, hack, or interfere with Company Content and/or the Services or operations thereof, except as permitted in these Instructor Terms;
- You will not impersonate another person or gain unauthorized access to another person's Account;
- Your use of the Services are subject to Stepik's approval, which We may grant or deny in Our sole discretion;
- You will not introduce any virus, worm, spyware or any other computer code, file or program that may or is intended to damage or hijack the operation of any hardware, software or telecommunications equipment, or any other aspect of the Services or operation thereof; scrape, spider, use a robot or other automated means of any kind to access the Services;
- You will maintain accurate Account information;
As an Instructor, You will be responsible for determining the Base Price You charge Users for Your Course(s). You agree to charge only for Your own Submitted Content. The Company will handle billing and other fee interaction with Users.
We will pay You the Net Amount received for Your Course less any applicable deductions such as User refunds.
So that Company can pay you in a timely manner, you must have a Paddle.com account and keep Stepik apprised as to the correct Vendor ID associated with your Paddle account. Payment can be made in the month next to which the fee for a Course was received. You are responsible for providing Company with all identifying and tax information necessary for the payment of amounts due.
As an Instructor, you are responsible for determining whether you are eligible to be paid by a US company.
As an Instructor, you acknowledge and agree that Users have the right to receive a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Neither Instructors nor Stepik shall receive any payments, fees or commissions for any transactions for which a refund has been granted. In the event that a User requests a refund for a Course after Stepik has sent an Instructor payment for that Course, Stepik reserves the right to either (1) deduct the amount of such refund from the next payment to be sent to that Instructor, or (2) require that Instructor to refund any amounts refunded to User for Instructor's Course to the extent no additional payments are due from Stepik to Instructor or such payments due to the Instructor are insufficient to cover the amounts refunded to Users.
You understand and agree that You are responsible for any taxes on Your income. We reserve the right to withhold payment if we do not receive proper tax documentation. With regard to sales tax on the sale of Your Courses, including but not limited to VAT in European Union, Stepik collects and remits the taxes to the competent tax authorities in related countries.
- Modifications to These Instructor Terms
From time to time, We may update these Instructor Terms to clarify our practices or to reflect new or different practices, such as when We add new features, and Stepik reserves the right to modify and/or make changes to these Instructor Terms at any time. If We make any material change We will notify You using prominent means such as by email notice sent to the email address specified in Your Account or by posting a notice on Our Services. Other modifications will become effective on the day they are posted unless stated otherwise. If You continue to use the Services after the effective date of any change, then such access and/or use will be deemed an acceptance of and an agreement to follow and be bound by the Instructor Terms as changed. The revised Instructor Terms supersedes all previous Instructor Terms.