SOME IMPORTANT NOTES . . .
TRAVEL TEAMS - Tournament Sanctioned Hotel Accommodations: As a condition of acceptance, travel teams will be required to register and stay at a Mississauga Early Bird approved hotel. See Hotels page for a list of sanctioned hotel locations.
This Tournament will be conducted under the more rigorous rule interpretations as specified by Hockey Canada and enforced by the GTHL. On-Ice Officials are provided by the GTHL. Their rulings cannot be disputed or over-ruled by the Tournament.
All teams must register before their first game, so please allow enough time, at least 60 minutes.
All players including affiliates should be registered on 2017-18 registration cards (Hockey Canada or equivalent). Cards or roster sheets must be presented at registration time or when requested by the tournament committee.
Tournament permission forms should be obtained from your league, and should be presented at time of registration.
Good luck to all!
SANCTION: This tournament is sanctioned by the Hockey Canada and the Greater Toronto Hockey League.
REGULATIONS: All tournament games are played under Hockey Canada minor rules and tournament regulations.
1. Notice of all suspensions during the tournament, will be forwarded (with a full report of the circumstances) to the players' regular league officials. The tournament Rules/Discipline Committee may require players and team staff to appear at hearings into these matters.
2. Teams must be registered with the HC or International affiliates (and/or their Provincial/State affiliates). Proof of registration must be available upon request. Participating teams must have a sanction permit or letter or permission to participate in the tournament from their HC or International affiliated branch.
3. Player Eligibility: All players must have an approved HC/or equivalent player's card or roster sheet available for inspection by Tournament officials. Team managers will submit a team list of players eligible to play to Tournament officials and will have the necessary supporting documentation (valid HC cards or roster sheet) available for examination by Tournament officials at the time of initial registration. This includes AP’s. No player will be permitted to compete if not on an approved and official roster sheet or card.
4. Composition of Teams: Each team may play nineteen (19) properly registered and affiliated players per game, however, only (17) seventeen players may skate and two (2) goaltenders may dress for each game.
5. Team Colours: Sweater Changes (if necessary) will be decided by the toss of a coin. It is preferable for teams to have two contrasting sets of sweaters.
6. Home/Visiting Teams: Home/Visiting teams are predetermined for round robin play. For the play-off round, the home team may be decided by the toss of a coin. Home teams will wear light/white sweaters.
7. Mandatory Equipment: Helmets, throat guards and face masks are compulsory for all players. Face masks and helmets, as approved by HC (Canada), HECC (USA) and IIHF (International) must be worn during this tournament.
8. Dressing Rooms: Only players, team officials named on the team list and Tournament officials will be permitted in team dressing rooms.
9. Game Sheets: The game sheet must be completed by both teams twenty (20) minutes prior to game time.
10. Game Officials: All referees and linesmen officiating in the tournament will be qualified and registered by HC. Minor officials will be assigned by the tournament.
11. Time and Conditions of Play: Warm-up time will be determined by the referee in consideration of available time. Teams not ready to start play at the scheduled time and/or when the referee calls the players to centre ice for the initial face off will be subject to a delay of game penalty and possible forfeit of the game.
12. Game Timing - All levels stop time:
Minor Atom, Atom: 10-10-12 minutes
Minor Peewee, Peewee: 10-12-12 minutes
Minor Bantam, Bantam: 12-12-12 minutes
Minor Midget, Midget Jr., Midget:12-12-15 minutes
13. Overtime: Nil for Round Robin
Quarter Finals: One five minute stop time period, 3 skaters plus goaltender, change ends. Sudden victory. Shoot-out if necessary.
Semi-Finals: One ten minute stop time period, 3 skaters plus goaltender, change ends. Sudden victory. Shoot-out if necessary.
Finals: Stop time sudden victory, Ten minute periods until a goal is scored, 3 skaters plus goaltender, change ends each period.
Shoot-Out: Select three players per team. Teams shoot alternately and all three shoot. If no winner, continue in sets of one, using different players. Goalies must be those who were last used in overtime. Flip of coin decides which team shoots first. Continue rotation in same order until there is a winner. If one team completes its player rotation before the other because it has fewer players, without a winner, both teams will be allowed to revert to their starting sequence and to repeat that sequence.
14. Mercy Rule: Please note that if the third period begins with a five goal lead by either team, that period will be played in running time, without stopping the clock. Time will continue to run throughout the period, regardless of further scoring changes. This rule will not apply in quarter-finals, semi finals, or finals.
15. Time Out: Each team is entitled to one (1) thirty second time-out per game in the playoffs, including any quarter final. No time outs are allowed during the round robin games.
16. Body Checking: This is a AA tournament. “A” teams will only be accepted if their jurisdiction has body checking regulations similar to those in the GTHL. For AA, body checking is permitted at all age groups except Minor Atom (06), Atom (05), Minor Peewee (04) and Peewee (03).
17. Early Game Starts: Games may start earlier than the advertised time if both coaching staffs agree. No game will start more than 15 minutes early.
Each team is guaranteed 3 games. Please read the rules carefully for your age division. For all age divisions, points will be assembled as follows:
WIN - 2 Points • TIE - 1 Points • LOSS - 0 Points
For all age divisions, ties in standings will be resolved as follows:
1. The winner of the game between the two tied teams, or
2. If that game ended in a tie, or the teams did not play each other, the team with the better record of goals for and against (goals for divided by goals against, with the higher percentage winning), or
3. If there remains a tie, the team that scores the first goal in the game between the two tied teams.
4. In the event of a tie among three (or more) teams, group standings will be determined by the best record of goals for vs goals against, as per (2) above, and if a tie still exists, then the provisions of section (1) and (3) above, in that order, will be applied.
5. If all of the above result in a continuing tie, the standing will be resolved by the flip of a coin.
These rules will be applicable to all relevant placings (i.e. first vs. second vs. third vs. fourth).
WILD CARDS: where applicable
1. For Minor Atom and Peewee, one wild card will be chosen from among all teams in all divisions.
2. Wild Cards will be the team with the highest number of points which did not otherwise qualify for a playoff position in the relevant Division.
3. In the event of a tie:
(a) Winner of any game between the two tied teams
(b) The team with the better record of goals for and against (goals for divided by goals against).
(c) If still tied, the winner of any game between two tied teams.
(d) If still tied, the team that scores the first goal in any game between the two tied teams.
(e) If still tied, by the flip of a coin.
CROSS-OVERS: where applicable
Groups C and D in Minor Peewee, Minor Bantam and Midget, plus B and C in Minor Midget, plus A and B in Midget JR will play a cross-over round robin. For purposes of determining playoff qualifiers, these two groups will be combined. The two teams with the highest number of points, regardless of which groups they are in, will proceed to the playoffs.
For example; if the top two teams in group D have 6 and 5 points respectively and the top team in group E had 3 points, then the two teams in group D will advance.
In Peewee Groups D and E will play an unbalanced cross-over schedule. This is due to an uneven team count in this age group. One game in the round–robin will require that one of the Tournament Host teams will play an extra game to balance the game count. This game will not count for that Host team. It will be clearly marked on the schedule. If the extra game Host team is beaten, the score will stand for the winner. If that Host team wins, the score will show as 0-1 for the loser.