Tairangi School Procedure Statement
PLAYGROUND DUTY NAG 5 Health and Safety
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- Two teachers will be on duty each morning tea time (10:25 – 10:45) and each lunchtime (12:15 – 1:15).
- The duty timetable will be organised by the Deputy Principal and will be displayed in the staffroom. In organizing the timetable the Deputy Principal will take into account work done by staff during non-contact hours e.g. sports, coaching.
- If teachers are unable to do duty on their allocated days because of other school commitments they are to arrange a swap with another teacher.
- Relieving teachers are expected to undertake any duty commitment of the teacher they are replacing.
- Teachers on duty are responsible for:
- Being punctual when going on duty.
- Ensuring the whole playground is patrolled. This includes working out which areas the two teachers on duty patrol.
- Dealing with discipline situations as they occur by applying the discipline and behaviour consequences guidelines.
- Encouraging safe play
- Knowing the blocks wet day duty system for each block.
- Other staff should be prepared to be available to assist the duty teachers in emergency situations.
- Any first-aid should be administered in the medical room by another staff member, not the duty teachers.
File:duty5.doc Procedure Statement – Playground Duty