Four Mile Run Farmers & Artisans Market Market Set-up & Management Plan
For Forward Virginia Phase 3
Based on guidance provided by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), the Alexandria City farmers’ markets will be permitted to expand market operations to include on-site transactions consistent with the guidelines outlined below effective July 4, 2020. Market expansion is subject to change and will remain consistent with Northern
Virginia’s transition to Forward Virginia Phase 3.
GENERAL OPERATING CONDITIONS:
- All customers, vendors and market staff must stay home if they are sick, any member of their family is sick or if they have come in contact with anyone with COVID-19 or showing symptoms attributed to COVID-19;
- All vendors and market staff must wear a mask or cloth face covering when entering or working at the market;
- All customers are strongly encouraged to wear a mask or cloth face covering when entering the market;
- All market staff must wear gloves and change them regularly;
- All vendors will provide a barrier/space between customers and products to discourage product handling;
- All customers, vendors and market staff must practice social distancing and maintain a distance of six (6) feet from customers;
- Vendors and markets managers must provide hand sanitizer for their use as well as staff;
- Vendors must use enhanced cleaning and disinfecting practices to regularly clean and disinfect spaces and equipment;
- No food sampling and the consumption of products purchased, including prepared food or beverage, will be permitted on-site (market area);
- Food preparation will be permitted on-site including food trucks, made to order sandwiches, freshly squeezed juices, coffee, etc.; with appropriate permits while adhering to physical distancing and hygiene guidelines;
- Non-food vendors will be permitted to sell or pick-up products on-site;
- Vendors and market staff handling money should wash their hands between each transaction;
- Vendors should continue to promote pre-ordering and pre-payment of food products for pickup only; and
- Vendors are strongly encouraged to pre-bag or pre-box products for quick sales and minimize browsing.
- Access and Exit points at the 4MRMarket site will be restricted and/or adjusted to manage crowd flow to maintain physical distancing and prevent bottlenecks and choke points. Examples of entrance and exit shown below.
- Vendor tents/tables will be placed a minimum of eight (8) feet apart and locations adjusted to allow for wider walkways as applicable. An example is shown below.
- Volunteers stationed at the market entrance will check that the number of customers in the market are restricted to ensure physical distancing (six (6) feet) and prevent bottlenecks/choke points;
- Hand sanitizing stations or handwashing stations will be provided for customers and staff;
- Tape, chalk, rope, vendor vehicles or other appropriate markers will be placed outside of each market where the lines will form that indicate physical distancing (six (6) feet) as required;
- Signage by the City will be provided to post at farmers’ markets indicating COVID-19 adjusted operations and safe practices to prevent the spread of the virus;
- Based on the market configuration, market mangers will provide signage identifying entrances and exits; pre-order pick-up and one-way directional signage for the aisles and crowd flow as applicable. The following parking layout has been provided to the public with on street parking encouraged for quick pick-up.
- Based on the market configuration, barriers will be placed where access to each market is no longer permitted and in locations to help restrict entrance and exit locations and crowd flow as applicable.
ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE TO 4MRMARKET VENDORS
- Masks or cloth face coverings are required while in the market;
- No sampling will be permitted;
- No on-site food preparation will be permitted;
- Encourage pre-ordering of products and pre-packaged products for on-site sales to facilitate for faster service and limited contact;
- Set-up should discourage product handling by customers and to encourage physical distancing (six (6) feet) at the vendors’ tent/tables;
- Minimize cash transactions and use contactless methods when possible;
- Masks or cloth face coverings are required while in the market; and
- Provide and use hand sanitizer regularly while in the market.
ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE TO 4MRMARKET CUSTOMERS
- Masks or cloth face coverings are strongly encouraged while in the market;
- Limit browsing, lingering or gathering in the market;
- No handling of food products;
- Bring your own hand sanitizer;
- Maintain physical distancing (six (6) feet) from other venders, market staff and other customers:
- Wash all produce before consuming;
- Sampling and eating food are prohibited; and
- Pre-order from vendors for pick-up at the market or delivery whenever possible.
The Health Department will provide guidance/training to staff, volunteers, market managers and vendors by request to Rachel Stradling at email@example.com on the required protocols in the event a vendor, staff or visitor later tests positive for COVID-19, as well as how to identify customers showing signs of COVID-19 symptoms.
4MRMarket and The City of Alexandria reserve the right to change or amend the above conditions, market set-up and guidance at any time to ensure compliance with Executive Orders issued by the Governor and guidance provided by the City of Alexandria or Virginia
Department of Health.