Usher Volunteer Instructions
We consider you part of the Town Hall Theatre experience and we are very grateful for your professional, kind and caring attitude while you are here! Thank you for making our patrons feel welcome and well served!
- Please arrive 45 minutes before curtain time, ready to work. Please stay for the entire show to assist patrons at intermission, while exiting the theatre and to clean up any discarded programs, cups, or wrappers left under seats.
- If your availability to usher changes, please change your status on the Sign Up Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/805054da9ab2dab9-volunteer1
at the earliest opportunity so we can find someone to cover the shift. If you are able to send a quick email to Suzie at: Suzie.Shepard@TownHallTheatre.com, that would be great too!
- Your volunteer duties end after you have assisted in clearing the house of patrons and picked up discarded items left under seats at the end of the show.
- You may put any personal items that you brought with you in the production office.
- Upon arrival look for Tricia, our House Manager on duty. House Manager will be wearing name badge reading “House Manager.” If you cannot find House Manager right away just wait, they may be helping a patron in the elevator or upstairs in the house. If you have any questions or encounter a situation you cannot handle please refer to House Manager or other staff on duty.
- House Manager will review shift instructions and answer any questions before you begin your shift and show you where your assigned seats are located. (It is possible your seats may be changed before the show begins. You will be informed if this happens.)
- Hand out programs.
- Check tickets. (Do not collect them.)
- Assist patrons to their seat before the show, during intermission and upon exiting the theatre after the show.
- Hold “Pass The Hat” Basket after the show to collect donations if instructed to do so by House Manager or staff person.
- Pick up any programs, cups or wrappers that may have been left under seats after the show.
- Operate elevator if needed. House Manager will provide you with a key and instructions as necessary.
- Meet patrons at the elevator and assist them in finding their seats as needed.
- Get program baskets from Box Office and take upstairs.
- Start reading tickets and handing out programs when the house is open. We ring our bell, “Wirtabell”, in the lobby and remove the red rope from the stairs when the house is officially open to partons for seating.
- Be familiar with location of restrooms, drinking fountain/water filling station, and concession rules. (All food and drinks ARE allowed upstairs at all times for the enjoyment of our patrons.)
- If a patron comes up to you with a problem you can’t solve, please find a house staff person to handle the situation.
- We truly appreciate every minute of help you give to Town Hall Theatre. Your duties do not end when the show begins. Late seating, helping patrons to the elevator or downstairs during intermission and cleanup after the show are part of ushering.
• All volunteers are asked to wear comfortable, sturdy clothing and shoes. Clothes can be casual and comfortable, but tidy.
• The temperature in our 103 year old building can be very warm or very cool depending on the season. Please come prepared.
(You can find information about each production in our current season at www.TownHallTheatre.com.)