School Social Worker
This is a student care and coordination role for a dedicated professional committed to building and improving relationships between Avasara Academy and our students’ families and playing a crucial role in preparing students for their higher education.
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located just outside Pune, India. Avasara is a progressive secondary school intended to educate young women of exceptional promise for a lifetime of leadership and contribution to society. Students are selected to attend the Academy based on merit alone. Those selected will engage in a specialized academic program designed to couple academic excellence (through the Cambridge curriculum) with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, sustainability and Indian studies in Standards 6-12.
Avasara will provide its students with extensive educational resources—most of which are not currently offered to high-potential young Indian women—including unique mentorship and internship opportunities to explore their personal strengths and interests. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks that can facilitate larger-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
Family and Community Engagement at Avasara Academy
At all points of a student’s educational experience at Avasara, we try to involve parents and families, be that through the Enrolment process, school events such as Annual Day, home visits, and regular parent-teacher conferences and workshops. Nonetheless, our alternative model of education coupled with our fairly remote location makes it challenging to establish the high quality of family-school dialog that is really necessary for students to make the most of their school experience and prepare well for university and career.
- Proactively support a healthy dialog with families that helps Avasara to meet students' academic and non-academic needs.
- Orient and communicate with students and parents about all aspects of school life.
- Handle situations of emergency as and when these arise.
- Schedule, facilitate and lead parental engagement both on campus and in home visits.
- Collaborate with the Faculty and School Counselor to support students’ needs.
- Guide families and students during key points in their school career; particularly subject selection after 10th standard, and conversations about options for students after graduation from Avasara.
- Take charge of gathering all student documentation required for higher education, scholarships etc. such as caste certificates, birth certificates, Aadhar details, PAN details, bank account details, parents’ income details, parents’ Aadhar, PAN and other details etc.
- Liaise with different agencies and individuals to get important documents made for students, wherever not available, such as caste certificates, birth certificates, Aadhar Cards, PAN Cards, domicile certificates, income certificates of parents etc.
- Visit the different agencies, individuals for the creation and gathering of student documents.
- Lead the obtaining of documents or information on an urgent basis, whenever required.
- Accompany students and their families to different places, agencies to assist in getting required documents made.
Personality Profile, Skills and Experiences of the Ideal Candidate
- You have strong interpersonal skills.
- You think creatively to identify solutions
- You are highly motivated
- You believe in the mission and vision of Avasara Academy and the lifelong, sustained impact we want to make on students and their families
- You have prior experience working with a diverse student population
- You are fluent in English, Hindi and ideally, Marathi.
- You have experience working with families from diverse linguistic, cultural and regional backgrounds
- You have a Masters degree in social work
- You have experience assisting families in navigating educational opportunities
- You have experience working with adolescent girls and their families across a range of socio-economic backgrounds
- You have strong networking and liaising skills
- You are comfortable using computers and have knowledge of Google Drive etc.
- You are organized and efficient and can multi-task
- You can handle emergency situations calmly and rationally
Location: Pune, India
Start Date: As soon as possible
To Apply: Email email@example.com with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position