Fifth-Grade Learning Outcomes - Second Grading Period
This document highlights the focus standards for each grading period. Teachers may choose to review previously taught standards as well.
The 2017-18 year is a crosswalk year for grades 3-5 math as both the 2009 and the 2016 VDOE standards will be taught. The asterisk (*) indicates a new 2016 standard that will be field tested on the SOL test this year, so it will be not be part of the student's overall SOL score.
Number and number sense
- Describe and compare two sets of data, using ratios
- Investigate and describe fractions, decimals and percents as ratios
- Identify a given fraction, decimal, or percent from a representation
- Demonstrate equivalent relationships among fractions, decimals and percents
- Compare and order fractions, decimals and percents.
- Represent and identify equivalencies among fractions and decimals, with and without models
- Compare and order fractions, mixed numbers and/or decimals in a given set, from least to greatest and greatest to least.
- Represent relationships between quantities using ratios, and will use appropriate notations, such as , a to b, and a:b
- Solve practical problems that involve perimeter, area, and volume in standard units of measure
- Differentiate among perimeter, area, and volume and identify whether the application of the concept of perimeter, area, or volume is appropriate for a given situation
- given the equivalent measure of one unit, identify equivalent measurements within the metric system
- Solve practical problems involving length, mass, and liquid volume using metric units
- Derive π (pi)
- Identify and describe the diameter, radius, chord, and circumference of a circle.
- Solve problems, including practical problems, involving circumference and area of a circle
- Solve problems, including practical problems, involving area and perimeter of triangles and rectangles.
- Identify the coordinates of a point in a coordinate plane
- Identify and graph ordered pairs in a coordinate plane
- Determine congruence of segments, angles and polygons
- Describe and identify properties of quadrilaterals
- Determine the line of symmetry for regular polygons*
Probability and statistics
- Construct circle graphs; make observations and inferences about data represented in a circle graph
- Represent data in a circle graph
- Compare circle graphs with the same data represented in bar graphs, pictographs and line plots.
- Describe mean as a balance point
- Decide which measure of center (mean, median, mode) is appropriate for a given purpose
- Represent the mean of a data set graphically as the balance point
- Determine the effect on measures of center when a single value of a data set is added, removed, or changed
Patterns, functions, and algebra
- Represent a proportional relationship between two quantities, including those arising from practical situations*
- Determine the unit rate of a proportional relationship and use it to find a missing value in a ratio table*
- Determine whether a proportional relationship exists between two quantities*
- Make connections between and among representations of a proportional relationship between two quantities using verbal descriptions, ratio tables, and graphs*