The vision, mission and goals of the
Joomla Volunteer Engagement Team
The VET focuses on the 3 Rs: Recruitment, Retention and Recognition of volunteers
The role of the Joomla Volunteer Engagement Team (VET) is to provide the Joomla Community with a pleasant, welcoming and healthy environment in which to contribute and share our passion for Joomla!
When volunteers are happy and appreciated and they have access to the necessary knowledge and tools (both software and processes) they should feel more motivated and in turn become more productive. The VET, by supporting volunteers and the teams, strives to assist the Joomla Community to accomplish more, leading to improving the long-term stability and success of the Joomla! Project.
The VET aim to achieve the above mission by focussing on three primary areas: Recruitment, Retention and Recognition.
The Joomla Project needs to regularly recruit new volunteers at various levels of involvement. Contributions range from short bursts of occasional activity, through to being dedicated to providing regular contributions through becoming a team member or part of Joomla’s Leadership group.
The VET is tasked with reaching out via all feasible means to make supporters of Joomla aware of the various ways they can contribute to the Joomla project. On receiving expressions of interest from new volunteers, the VET then works with teams and working groups to onboard new volunteers to roles that match their skills and interests.
- The VET works with teams to develop onboarding programs to educate new volunteers in the overall Joomla project structure as well as specific onboarding information and activities relating to the roles, responsibilities and structure of teams and working groups in the project.
- The VET is tasked with assisting potential volunteers to be introduced and placed with suitable teams or working groups.
- The VET is entrusted with providing information to the community and prospective volunteers on roles and opportunities available for volunteers in the project.
- Opportunities for Volunteers are to be promoted to the wider community by the VET through a range of outreach programs including:
- Contribute to Joomla page on joomla.org
- Listing positions on the Joomla Volunteer Portal (JVP)
- Joomla Community Magazine (JCM) Community Openings article
- Promotion through Joomla User Groups (JUGs) and participation in JoomlaDay Events
- Announcements via Joomla’s social media channels and other marketing channels.
The VET has a role similar to a Human Resources department, providing assistance to teams and working groups to formulate informative and attractive position descriptions to be used in the above outreach programs
Volunteers are the core asset behind Joomla’s success. Focussing on programs to retain volunteers in the community is essential to its continued success.
The VET aims to run programs that enable continuous improvement in the organisation:
- Implement processes for easy onboarding of new volunteers, including providing starter guides, documentation to support new and existing volunteers
- Encourage communication and dialog between the Board, Teams and volunteers
- Regularly reach out to volunteers for feedback on their satisfaction on their involvement, and look at ways to enrich and improve their volunteering experience
- Provide opportunities for different teams to interact to help bring the project together
- Maintaining contact with the DC’s and TLs regarding retention and recruitment
- Survey the community, and analyse the state of the community and provide feedback and recommendations where necessary to the Board and Departments.
- Provide opportunities for volunteers to be recognised for their contributions
- Support and facilitate existing volunteers with mentoring programs
- Work with the Board, Teams and volunteers to improve continuity in the organisation and to stay in touch with leadership alumni with an eye to restarting involvement of members who need to leave the organisation at times for personal or professional reasons.
Recognition & Acknowledgement of Contributions
The VET is tasked with recognizing and acknowledging the efforts of our volunteers and to ensure that they know their efforts are noticed and appreciated.
The Joomla project are able to recognise and appreciate our volunteers by:
- Encouraging that we treat our volunteers with respect, both by actions and in communication
- Highlighting the work of individuals and teams
- By listening to, respecting and acting upon their opinions
There are no direct financial rewards from being a volunteer, so the role of the VET is to find and implement innovative ways to recognise the efforts throughout the Joomla community.
Valuing Skills to Value Add to the Organisation
Our volunteers also have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We should recognise and use these to strengthen the community
- Recognising our volunteers’ skills providing them with opportunities to put their skills to use in the most beneficial ways for the community
- Appreciate and validate volunteers at the point of entry into the community to ensure they are welcomed, onboarded and suitably engaged in roles that correspond to their skills
- Support volunteers looking to upskill through their involvement in the community
By focussing on these three areas, the Volunteer Engagement Team aims to continuously deliver services to the entire Joomla community to improve communications, processes and performance across all parts of the Joomla community.
If you would like more information on contributing to Joomla, joining VET or to provide feedback on the VET mission, values and goals statement above, please contact the VET via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adopted 26 April 2021 by the Joomla Volunteer Engagement Team
Last updated 26 April 2021