Divine Saviour & Saint Ann
Laudate pueri Dominum laudate nomen Domini - Ps. 112.1
February 14, 2018
Today we begin the season of Lent. Like Advent, it is a season of preparation. During Advent, we prepared for a joyous celebration of the birth of Jesus. During Lent we prepare for our celebration of renewal in Holy Week when we recall Jesus' agonizing, lonely death and unexpected (to his disciples) resurrection. The reading from Genesis today reminds us of what it is like to lose almost everything and then to have it restored to us. Peter takes the flood that destroyed the earth and its creatures and transforms it into the baptism by water that saves each one of us. Mark tells us that even Jesus was given forty days to prepare, not in a flood but in a desert, for what was to be asked of him. So we begin this Sunday by being reminded of the importance of preparation and that it takes many forms. Whatever form our preparation takes, we must begin.
Save the Date
Divine Saviour Church: Parish Events
Ash Wednesday Schedule Wednesday 02/14/2018
Friday February 16, 2018 ALAN AMES, World renown healing Minister
6:00 p.m. Mass
7:00 p.m. Alan Ames Speaks (usually of his conversion and God’s love for us)
7:30 p.m. Benediction
Adoration – during Healing Service (Alan prays over each person)
Confessions (if Priest available)
8:30-9:00 pm Conclude / closing Benediction (once all have been prayed over)
DS Lenten Soup Calendar: Beginning February 20th at 5pm-7pm (Every Tuesday)
Saint Ann Church: Parish Events
SA Lenten Soup Calendar: Beginning February 21th at 5pm-7pm (Every Wednesday)
Divine Saviour School
Join us every Friday night for Divine Saviour Bingo!
Doors open at 4pm.
First time players receive a free main game with the purchase of their buy-in. Anyone who recommends a first-time player will also receive a free main game. For more information please consult the bingo manager or visit our website dssala.org/bingo.
Thank you to all our dedicated volunteers for their continued support. If you’re interested in volunteering please send us an email at email@example.com.
Important Information and Continuing Events in the Archdiocese:
- This year’s 40 Days for Life Campaign begins onFebruary 14-march 25. Please see attached flyer for more information or visit 40daysforlife.com/sanfernandovalley
- The next Retrouvaille Spanish Retreat is scheduled for February 23, 24, and 25. Please see attachment for details
- The Office of Life, Justice and Peace is introducing the Ministry of Assistance to Families of the Incarcerated. This ministry will assist families of Immigrants who have a member detained at a county jail or state prison, especially those who lack access to services from official institutions in the county. Please see attached brochure or contact Dcn. Paulino Juarez for more information. (213) firstname.lastname@example.org
- This week is The Truth about Domestic Violence at West Valley Clergy Council member parish St. Paul's United Methodist Church. Pastor Vernon Kemp and his congregation will be hosting this event, and you are invited to attend! Call Rev. Kyle Joachim for more information! Silver lake Community Church at 323-617-2006.
- The Office for Worship has scheduled the upcoming Lent and Tridiuum Preparation Workshops: Saturday, February 24 at Padre Serra Parish, Camarillo. These workshops are for parish musicians and RCIA team members, liturgy committee members, liturgical ministers, and all those involved in the preparation of the parish Triduum celebrations. Please see attached flyers or register online: http://store.la-archdiocese.org/triduum-preparation-workshops-22418
- The “Special Needs, Special Gifts,” workshop by Dr. Ross Porter is scheduled for this Saturday, at St. Mel parish, 9:00 AM- 12:00 noon. In light of the fact that the guidelines were recently issued by the USCCB, July 2017, this is a very timely subject. The presentation will address a variety of aspects of this matter including full inclusion in the liturgy of those with special needs and developing a plan to implement those goals. Please refer to the flyer for more detail.
- Training for Ministry of Consolation for the San Fernando Pastoral Region will take place on 8 Consecutive Sessions on Thursdays 7-9PM (April 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31). Training will be held at Our Lady of Peace 15444 Nordhoff St, North Hills, CA 91343 and is $15 per session (please pay per session weekly online).
Divine Saviour Church & St. Ann Church
Los Angeles, California