College & Career Counsellor
This is a full-time role for a professionally trained and experienced college and career counsellor who is committed to helping students create their best-fit college and career pathways and future plans.
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located in Lavale Valley, just outside Pune, India. We are an all girls school with a mission to empower girls of promise to lead lives of distinction and impact. Avasara Academy currently enrolls 350 students in standards 6-12 and will eventually have an enrollment of 500.
Students engage in our specialized curriculum that combines the academic excellence of the Cambridge curriculum with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and Indian studies. Students participate in hands-on leadership and real-world experiences culminating in either an entrepreneurial business or social initiative that serves as a platform for their leadership development. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks of people and capital that can facilitate large-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
College & Career Counselling at Avasara
Students come to Avasara from diverse backgrounds and situations. The College & Career Counsellor must create structures for a holistic college and career counselling program that functions at scale, but is personalized such that each student finds the best-fit colleges and pathway keeping in mind their strengths, aptitudes, interests, personalities, and resources. At Avasara, the College & Career Counselling Program includes:
- Introducing students to the world of higher education and careers in Grades 9 and 10
- Coordinating psychometric and aptitude assessments for Grade 10 students
- Guiding students through subject selection for Grades 11 and 12
- Organizing exposure to colleges and careers in Grades 11 and 12
- Stewarding students through the college and scholarships applications processes
- Organizing trainings to help students prepare for their transitions
- Partnering with parents to work collectively towards their daughters’ futures
- Equipping parents with all the information needed for them to get all the important and necessary documents ready
- Contribute to building a healthy and professional school culture that aligns with the Avasara values of Integrity, Reflection, Empathy, Excellence, Diversity, Fortitude, and Optimism
- Introducing the world of higher education, colleges and careers to students from Grade 9 through counselling classes
- Conducting a deeper exploration into the world of colleges and careers with students of Grade 10
- Helping coordinate and supervise psychometric assessments and aptitude testing for Grade 10 students
- Helping Grade 10 students use information gained through aptitude testing and self-awareness exercises to choose subjects for Grades 11 and 12.
- Organizing college fairs and visits by representatives of colleges
- Organize career-related events such as fairs, field trips, exposure visits etc.
- Research and organize mentorship and shadowing opportunities, internships etc.
- Research and coordinate with scholarship agencies
- Helping students create individualized future plans for themselves
- Helping students navigate the college admissions processes, applications etc.
- Engaging with parents of older students to help understand their expectations, goals, dreams for their daughters and realities
- Interacting with parents on a regular basis to help keep them updated on their daughters’ future plans etc.
- Helping students in the preparation for various competitive exams, entrance tests, etc. by connecting them with resources, people etc.
- Having one on one, small group and large group counselling sessions with students to help them understand themselves, motivate them and create realistic and best-fit plans for themselves
- Participate in trainings, workshops, conferences for professional development
- Conduct home visits to discuss the family’s thoughts on their daughters’ future plans, provide information on the daughters’ chosen areas of study etc.
- Come up with efficient systems of documenting students’ future plans, creating a directory of colleges, academic programs, contact people etc.
- Update the Head of School on students’ future plans on a regular basis
- Take initiative and participate in other school activities and events
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with others
- A sincere interest in working with adolescents and their families
- A genuine interest in providing college and career guidance to students and exploring and studying this area in detail
- Patient and sensitive
- A mature and non-judgemental outlook
- Good multitasking skills, flexible and open
- Ability to think innovatively to identify solutions
- A wholehearted belief in the Avasara mission, vision and values
- A genuine desire to be a part of a community of changemakers
- Master’s degree with specialisation in Clinical/Counselling/Educational/Child Psychology/Social Work or equivalent
- Specialized training in college and career counselling
- At least 3-4 years of relevant experience in college and career counselling
- Specific understanding of undergraduate programs offered all over the world, application processes, scholarships, etc.
- Prior experience in working with parents and parent groups
- English language fluency is a must. Proficiency in Hindi and/or Marathi is preferred
- Computer fluency is a must
Location: Pune, India
Start Date: May 2020, March 2020 preferable
To Apply: Email email@example.com with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position as soon as possible.