Published using Google Docs
El Puente School 2021-22 FAQ
Updated automatically every 5 minutes

El Puente School

20 Sherwood Place, Salinas, Calif. 93906

Phone: (831) 796-6900 | Fax: (831) 796-7777

El Puente School 2021-22 FAQ

Need help? Text us at (833) 355-0386 (preferred) or call (831) 796-6900.

What is El Puente School (EPS)?

El Puente is an alternative school of choice within the Salinas Union High School District. It offers an independent studies program for students in grades 7-12.

How does independent studies differ from “normal” school?

At El Puente, students typically take one course at a time and cover an entire year’s worth of credit before moving on to another course. Students receive 70 minutes of daily instruction with additional support classes as needed. Outside of class time, students are expected to complete 5 hours of coursework each day on their own. This model gives students the flexibility to work around their personal or work schedules and still complete high school. It also carries with it the responsibility of completing school work independently.

Are classes online or in-person?

For the 2021-22 school year, EPS offers both an online and in-person program. Both programs follow roughly the same model, with one course being taken at a time, supplemented by 5 hours of classwork outside of class. Middle school students currently take two classes at the same time.

Can I do online learning at my home school?

State law no longer allows for online learning in comprehensive middle and high schools. Independent studies is the only option for students who wish to continue taking classes online.

How do I apply to attend El Puente, either online or in-person?

Any student wishing to attend EPS must first start by filling out an application at their current school within the district. Consult your student’s counselor to begin this process. Once the application is submitted, students will be admitted as space is available at the end of each application period. Make sure in your application you specific online or in-person learning.

I submitted my application, but I haven’t heard back yet, am I in EPS?

You should be notified by EPS that your application has been accepted, but you can be certain by looking at the school listed in StudentVUE ( We are working to develop an online portal to show your application status.

I am enrolled at EPS, how do I get my schedule?

Schedules are available by logging into StudentVUE ( and clicking “Class Schedule” in the menu.

When is my class?

Please reference the bell schedule ( to determine when your class meets, either online or in-person. Unlike a traditional school, there is no defined start or end time of the school day, each student’s schedule is different.

Where is my class?

In-person students can look at their StudentVUE schedule to see their room assignments. El Puente School has rooms within the Salinas Education Center (20 Sherwood Place) and across the street from the SEC in portable classrooms known as “the Village.” Rooms beginning with an E (E1, E2, etc.) are in the SEC while rooms beginning with a V (V1, V2, etc.) are in the village.

Online students will access their classes via Google Classroom. Look at for your courses and/or check your email for a message from your teacher about first day instructions.

For in-person students, do you offer transportation?

Students can take busses to their neighborhood high school and then transfer to a bus to the Salinas Education Center where EPS is housed.  Please note that busses only leave at the beginning and end of our full school day and they may not perfectly align to your student’s personal schedule. Access bus routes by going to

Do you serve food for in-person students?

Yes, we serve daily breakfast and lunch currently via the food court at Mount Toro High School.

Are masks required?

Masks are required for all students when indoors. Masks are optional when outdoors.

How do I get textbooks and Chromebooks?

You can come to the EPS office in the Salinas Education Center to get your Chromebook and textbooks. We are open daily from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.

What is a master agreement?

The master agreement is a required document that all students and parents must sign within 30 days of the school year or before beginning classes if later in the school year. It details the courses students will be taking and the requirements they must follow to stay enrolled in independent studies.

What happens if I don’t follow my master agreement?

We offer multiple levels of re-engagement to make sure our students at El Puente are successful. When those interventions are not successful, the student may be transferred back to the student’s neighborhood comprehensive school.

Is there a dress code for in-person students?

Clothing, jewelry, and personal items shall be free of writing, pictures, or any other insignia which is vulgar, lewd, obscene, profane, or sexually suggestive or which promotes the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or other illegal activity.

Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments. See-through tops and bare abdomens are prohibited.

Clothing and hats/caps determined to be gang-related or inappropriate are prohibited.

What is HiSET?

HiSET is a high school equivalency exam, which if passed gives the student a state-issued high school equivalency credential, similar to a GED or high school diploma. Students must be at least 17.5 years old to enroll in the HiSET program at El Puente School. They attend daily preparation courses and must pass a series of content-focused exams to earn their credential.


Jonathan Green, Principal

Janice Aliotti, EL Specialist -  Leandra Magaleño, Intervention Specialist

Karen Verduzco, Counselor