Evidence for Evolution Presentation Worksheet Name_______________ Per________
Evidence of common ____________________ among species comes from many sources.
Earth is _________________________of years old!
- Fossils in ___________ layers are more _________________ than those in the upper layers.
- Extinct fossils _______________________ modern animals.
- This shows a __________________ ancestry.
Types of Fossils
- ___________________ occurs when minerals carried by water are deposited around a _____________________ like a shell
- A natural____________ forms when flowing water removes all of the original tissue, leaving an _____________________.
- ___________________ fossils are organisms that become trapped in ______________ that hardens after the tree is __________________.
- Fossilized _________________.
- Impressions are ________________ left in rock
- Preserved remains form when an entire organism becomes ________________ in materials such as ____________________________.
Explain the relationship between the cartoon to the dating of fossils.
Relative Dating of Fossils
- _____________________ the time during which an organism lived
- It _______________ the placement of fossils in _________________________
- Scientists ____________ the order in which species existed. Define infer.
Activity: Layers of Time--Worksheet and Game on Website
Radiometric Dating of Fossils
- Measures the _________________ of the isotope – the time it takes for __________ of the isotope to __________________
- Carbon-12 _________________; Carbon-14 __________________ and some C-14 can be found in ____________________________
- Carbon-14 has a half-life of _______________ years; decays into _____________
- Compare ratio of C-14 to C-12 to__________________
- Uses Radioactive ________________: atoms of the same element with differing neutrons
- 12C and 14C
- 12C = 6 protons + _________ neutrons
- 14C = 6 protons + _________ neutrons
Explain the graph in your own words. ______________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________.
Half-Penny Radiometric Lab
- Geography & environment gives __________________ for evolution
- ______________ species most closely resemble nearest _____________ species
- Populations can show __________________ from one island to another
- ________________ (early developmental stage) gives evidence of evolution
- ________________ larvae, ______________ adult body forms
- ______________ embryos, related but ________________ organisms
- Shows ________________ ancestry
- Vertebrates all share __________________ and a ____________ in their early embryo stage; which means they share a ___________________ ancestor
Draw a picture of the Embryos and Evolutionary History.
- The study of ___________________anatomy provides evidence of evolution
- Homologous structures are similar in _______________ but different in __________.
- Homologous structures ____________________ of a common ancestor.
- For each homologous structure in the picture, explain how it is similar in structure but different in function.
- LEG ________________________________________________________
- FLIPPER ____________________________________________________
- WING ______________________________________________________
- Analogous structures are similar in _______________ but differ in ___________
- Analogous structures __________________ show common ancestry
- A bat wing is an example of an analogous structure
Research: Find two more examples of an organisms with an analogous structure. Write the name of the organisms the analogous structure and draw each.
- Structural patterns are clues to the__________________ of a species.
- Vestigial structures are ____________________________ or structures that had a ____________________ in an early ancestor but no longer do.
- Examples include ostrich wings, human appendix and wisdom teeth, whale and snake pelvis/hind legs
- Pythons have tiny ___________________.
Research: Humans have a number of vestigial structures. Research the topic and choose one of the structures. Create a 1 minute speech about how that structure is vestigial.
MOLECULAR AND GENETIC EVIDENCE
- Two closely-related organisms will have similar DNA, RNA, and protein (amino acid) _______________________.
- This also gives evidence of a __________________________
Use the Diagram:Amino Acids Reveal Evolution Explain the role amino acids play in demonstrating a historical relationship between humans and other organisms.
Analyze the molecular evidence in the diagram above. Identify and record the differences in each section of DNA.
How many differences are there?
How closely related are these organisms?