In Attendance: Stephen Wright, Randy Grant, Hal Brockman, Alan Smith, Noel Tavan, Dave Green
Excused: Margo Glass
Guest: Meg DuMez
- Call to Order, Announcement and Introductions
- Board Member Committee Reports
- Balance sheet reviewed and we had a good discussion on overall operations as well as individual events. Dave says our focus should be both on our overall fiscal status (which is good), plus reviewing any events that are anomalous.
- P & L
- Board motion introduced by Dave Green (seconded by Hal Brockman) to open an investment account for a portion of funds for ORRC as previously approved by ORRC Board. This would allow us to gain some income from our funds accumulated through operations. Motion passed.
- Dave Green wanting to transition out of Treasurer role at ORRC. Past ORRC president Dave Cook may be interested in taking over some/all of that role.
- Membership trending up slightly, 860 total members as of 8/22/18
- Past events quickly reviewed, upcoming events discussed briefly.
- Summer Solstice
- July 4th
- Dual Duel
- Garlic Festival
- Best Dam Run
- Blue Lake
- Autumn Leaves
- Turkey Trot
- Equipment and Storage - Hal
- Equipment is in good shape. New generator purchased. What can we do with the old generator?
- Marketing/Social Media - Steve
- Charissa Yang ending her great service for ORRC’s communications and marketing efforts. Thanks to her from all of the ORRC board for her service and guidance.
- Meg DuMez coming on to help with ORRC’s communications efforts including ODR author, Facebook mgmt, potential Instagram presence, and review of monthly newsletter articles, etc. Welcome Meg!
- Steve would like to step back from his large current emphasis on directing races - needs to focus more on club development, and strategy planning.
- Investment opportunities - Dave
Board motion passed - see above item
Increased social media presence (Facebook and newsletter) are showing higher prevalence among our participants as their source for information over past years as well as our events earlier in 2018. We’re getting more NEW participants overall which is very healthy.
Great data in the completed surveys including open-ended questions. Steve and Noel are working on how best to summarize the data to present to all race directors.
- RunSignUp Seminar - Randy
While visiting the East Coast for a New Hampshire marathon, Randy attended a July RunSignUp customer conference to learn more about their capabilities, etc. He provided a summary document of his takeaway items that will be linked here. Document Link
- 2019 Race Events Calendar
- 2019 ORRC Race Event Calendar
- Mark Barrett's suggestion - Add 2 races
- Mark Barrett second suggestion - go green at all ORRC events like already done at Hagg Mud.
- Good discussion about going green with reusable cups, compostable plates, etc. overall. Short summary was that going green fit better with the audiences at our ultra events.Noel Tavan, RD for Autumn Leaves, is going to use reusable cups at the upcoming event.
- Related discussion - How can we expand our “stable” of race directors by creating a training program, etc. What benefits can we offer them beyond what we do now?
- Adjust race calendar - Steve
- Are there some of our events that we should consider ending or changing?
- Discussion to continue. Mark Barrett to be invited to next Board meeting to continue this discussion.
- Monthly newsletter - Alan
- Those present liked the new newsletter look potentially starting in September.
- Randy Grant brought up a survey he may be working on to study how race participants value various aspects of events: distances, amenities, etc. He wondered about sending this survey out to our email database. We can include it in an upcoming newsletter as we have done with other running-related surveys.
- Steve - Portland Marathon group is wanting to donate a set of ALL copies of the Runners World magazine from its inception. Any takers?
- Alan - We should study and take advantage of the RunSignUp features to work with Facebook and to target audiences, etc.
- Meg - creating a thematic schedule for posting on Facebook. One day of the week talk about events, another day talk about the club, another day ..