Project page on SENSORICA


Capture.JPG

Important updates

July 9th, 2019 - followup meeting with ESDC

July 4th, 2019 - meeting with ESDC

June 4th, 2019 - Expanding partnership

May 12th, 2019 - proposal submission to DEC

March 04, 2019 - proposal to ESDC

November 5th-23rd, 2018

August 13th, 2018 - Meeting with Sylvain Lefebvre, prof at UQAM

August 07, 2018 - Meeting with MESI

July 31th, 2018 - Meeting with SDC Monk

July 06, 2018 - Meeting with David and Robert Beaudry at the City Hall, city of Montreal

July 04, 2018 - Meeting with David and George Bossé (Verdun)

May 02, 2018 - Meeting with Ville de Montréal, Développement Économique

April 17, 2018 - Meeting with Verdun

April 16, 2018 - Presenting the collaborative economy and the Verdun project to MESI

April 11, 2018 - Phone call  with PME Montréal Sud-Ouest

April 10, 2018 - Exchanges with PME Montréal centre ville

March 5 2018 - Meeting with REMODEL

Jan 25 2018 - Meeting with Samer from p2pModels project

Jan 22nd, 2018 - Phone conversation with Ministry of Families, Children and Social Development

Jan 18th, 2018 - Meeting with TATA Consultancy Services

Jan 4th, 2018 - Phone conversation with David

November 20th, 2017 - Meeting with Impak Finance

November 1st, 2017 - Phonecall with ESDC

October 25, 2017 - Meeting with MESI

September 28th, 2017 - SENSORICA meeting,

September 26th, 2017 - Meeting with Ville de Montréal, Tuesday,

Friday 22nd, September, 2017 - Phone conversation with David

September 12th 2017 - communication with Ville de Montréal

September 6th 2017 - Meeting

August 15th 2017 - MESI funding proposal

August 9th, 2017 - OuiShare & Sensorica meeting

August 3, 2017 - OuiShare & Sensorica meeting

July 28, 2007 - More funding calls

July 20, 2017 - Funding meeting with the DEC

July 10, 2017 - First funding meeting with DEC

June 23rd, 2017 - Meeting with MIS

June 15, 2017 - meeting with MIS

June 08, 2017 - meeting with David

May 30, 2017 - Ouishare meeting

May 29, 2017 - Meeting at Helios

Mai 23, 2017 - Meeting David’s new assistant

May 18, 2017 - call with La Ruche

May 16, 2017 - Call with SAJE

May 15, 2017 - Call with P2P Foundation

May , 2017 - Call with ENSPIRAL

March 22, 2017 - Budget discussions with David

February - Meeting

December 21th - Meeting

December 12 - Update

December 6th - Update

December 4th - Update

November 15th - Update

October 31th - visit 2 spaces in Verdun

October 14th - meeting / presentation

September 13, 2016

October 6th, 2016 - phone call

September 29th, 2016

August 31, 2016


July 9th, 2019 - followup meeting with ESDC

Follow up phone call with the office of Susan E. MacPhee (Directrice/Director, Division des programmes sociaux/Social Programs Division, Direction de l’innovation sociale et du développement communautaire, Social Innovation and Community Development Directorate, Emploi et Développement social Canada /Economic and Social Development Canada).

The main goal was to  align objectives between NOICE / LEVOICE and this particular ESDC’s Partnership Program for Family and Children. We used this document to support our discussions.

The meeting went well, we got the OK to produce a formal submission. Those attending the meeting from the department were very helpful.

Tibi and Tim are leading this effort of producing a formal submission, a first draft to be sent before the 12 of July for feedback.

July 4th, 2019 - meeting with ESDC

Phone call with Susan E. MacPhee, Directrice/Director, Division des programmes sociaux/Social Programs Division, Direction de l’innovation sociale et du développement communautaire, Social Innovation and Community Development Directorate, Emploi et Développement social Canada /Economic and Social Development Canada

Tibi and Tim were in the meeting to represent the NOICE project. The discussion was about how the project can meet her department's objectives, in order to prepare a formal submission for funding the project.

The scope of this department is norrie, around family and children.

Tibi explained the NOICE has mostly an indirect effect on family and children, as it constitutes a platform where local individuals and organisations can collaborate and build capacity.

On the table, Susane and her colleagues (two of her colleagues)  was our last NOICE proposal and our consultation memo to ESDC.

A follow up meeting is set up already, reporting will be published above. This follow up meeting is going to be about a list of SMART objectives if NOICE that fit with the objectives of the family and children department of EDSC.

June 4th, 2019 - Expanding partnership

Discussion with Pr. Luis Antonio Santa-Eulalia from Sherbrooke University, director of IntelliLab

Tibi discussed with Pr. Luis Antonio Santa-Eulalia from Sherbrooke University and the director of IntelliLab on open value network model, network resource planning (NRP) and other tools for resource and process management designed for networked collaboration. He brought up the case of Robco (crowdsourced R&D on demand), as well as examples of collaboration with academic labs for scientific instruments development. NOICE project was also discussed. Tibi had shared the last DEC proposal before the conversation.

The way Sensorica was presented:

An interface between the crowd and traditional institutions, also space for hybrid models to develop, and for continuous experimentation with network-type organisations 

Tibi stressed the urgent need to do more with less within our manufacturing industry, to take the digital tourn, to stay innovative, productive and efficient. He presented NOICE as a pilot project of a new kind of network/ecosystem where the crowd, the private sector and academia can engage in open innovation (form private, public and people -PPP, partnerships).  

Pr. Luis Antonio appreciated our work and told us that they are very interested in open innovation and in bringing the industry to consider these new innovation strategies and practices. He also mentioned that they encounter a lot of resistance from SMEs to engage in open innovation. The closed, siloed mentality still prevails in the region, therefore the need for education.

Tibi’s first impression is that the IntelliLab connection with the manufacturing sector is still weak and under development. It is staffed by University professors and serves mostly an academic and educational purpose. Having said that, Pr Luis Antonio is very interested in exploring with us potential pilot projects and studies. For example, the possibility of testing new IT infrastructure and governance with a group of early adopter SMEs that want to experience working collaboratively, in synergy, and perhaps integrate the crowd in some of their processes. also, the possibility of monitoring and analysing the performance of the OVN model in such pilot project.  

Concrete propositions for future collaboration

  1. Tibi promised to talk to 3 students that were named during the conversation, which might be interested in working  with Sensorica and LEVOICE / NOICE.
  2. Tibi promised to intervene during a course at Sherbrooke University or Longueuil, to speak about the Fourth Sector, open innovation strategies and models, collaborative economy and p2p (similar to presentations made at Ecole de Gestion de l’UQAM and HEC Montréal).
  3. Stay in touch for the Verdun project, if funded we sit down to think about formalizing a relationship.  

Discussion with l’Institut du nouveau monde

Tibi spoke with Stephane Dube from l’Lnstitut du Nouveau Monde. Stephane received the last DEC proposal. They explored ways for l’Institut to collaborate with LEVEOICE in the first year. they can take a role in education, participatory events, collective intelligence processes and networking LEVOICE with their own partners. A meeting will be schedules beginning of July, if the project if funded by the DEC.

May 12th, 2019 - proposal submission to DEC

After a meeting in Ville Emard, we submitted a new version of the project to DEC, as a pilot project. Tibi lead the effort.

March 04, 2019 - proposal to ESDC

After communication with David’s office in Montreal, we submitted a new version of the NOICE project, oriented social development, to the ESDC. Tibi lead the effort.

November 5th-23rd, 2018

We organized eco2FEST 2018 with Ouishare, a mini Verdun project. Agathe and Tibi lead the effort.

August 13th, 2018 - Meeting with Sylvain Lefebvre, prof at UQAM

Sylvain Lefebvre is Jeremy’s prof at the Department of Geography at UQAM

Domaines d'expertises

Jeremy arranged a meeting between Tibi and his prof at UQAM, to explore how his research team can contribute to the Verdun project. Jeremy is at the same time a contributor to eco2fest and Verdun, and a researcher assessing the social and economic impacts of such initiatives.

The Verdun project seems to fit well with the future orientation of Sylvain’s research. The meeting ended with a verbal agreement to collaborate informally on the project for the time being, and to formalize a relationship between the project and UQAM / his research group once the Consortium for LEVOICE / NOICE is created. We explored options to collaborate on research grants applications.

Relations with academia is an important aspect of the Verdun project. LEVOICE is seen as a pilot project of NOICE, a national initiative. During the 5 years of deployment of LEVOICE we will need to thoroughly assess the impact, and formulate recommendations for the provincial and federal government. Sylvain Lefebvre would join other researchers interested by the Verdun project, such as Margie Mendell (Concordia), Mai Thi (HEC Montréal), …

Éléments manquants : perspective territoriale, terrain avec les étudiants, compétences et ressources humaines.

August 07, 2018 - Meeting with MESI

Tibi and Jeremy made a presentation to MESI explaining the Verdun project and eco2fest. At the meeting:

Overall the presentation went well. Claude Levis suggested to submit for funding at the end of the summer for social innovation programs. Pierre Bisson, one of the contributors to the Groupe de travail sur l’economie collaborative intervened during the meeting stating the interest of the Government to associate with projects like Verdun and Eco2Fest.

Tibi discussed a timetable, connected with the Eco2Fest event, start the Verdun project right after the event at the end of November. The funding would be required to continue to occupy the same space set up for Eco2Fest for the first year of the Verdun project.

Pierre Bisson proposed to look into alternative funding opportunities.

At this moment we have an active channel of communication with MESI, in search for a funding source.

During the meeting Jeremy brought his experience as a researcher with similar projects around the world, including Barcelona and Paris. He made some comparisons and identifies the strong points of the Verdun project with respect to other similar initiatives. We also spent some time talking about the necessity of the first stage in the Verdun project, the public consultation and the deployment of experiential events, all that to anchor the project within the local territory.

July 31th, 2018 - Meeting with SDC Monk

Tibi met with Marie-Josée Choquette from SDC Monk to discuss about available spaces for the first year of the Verdun project and about a space for eco2fest. SDC Monk liked the Verdun project, as it fits with their development strategy. The project is represented by a non-profit organization, which does not contribute to SDC’s funding, nonprofits are exempt from being taxed. But they see it as a structuring and intermediation organization, a hub of innovation for local organizations. They liked the public and event side of the project. Their attention was mostly captured by a possibility of having a food lab on Monk, working with local shops, bars and restaurants, and bringing in local food actors. The best location for such space would be close to M Monk, where there is a high concentration of such organizations. The vocation of this section of Monk street is experiential. SDC Monk offered to play an active role to connect us with all the organizations established in this area and facilitate interactions and events.

SDC Monk provided a short list of spaces for evco2fest and for Verdun project. These are mostly commercial spaces on Monk, rented at market price. Tibi discussed the possibility to negotiate for a lower price, considering the fact that the event and the Verdun project will generate flows on Monk.

Overall we had a great meeting. SDC was very excited for the possibility of having us on Monk.

July 06, 2018 - Meeting with David and Robert Beaudry at the City Hall, city of Montreal

The topic was space for the first lab (first year) and funding. The city of Montreal wants to invest more in social innovation and the social economy. Some money will come from the federal, we could uze some of it. Tibi presented the Verdun project as an incubator and accelerator of collaborative ventures. He alluded to Eco2Fest as a temporal incubator and accelerator of collaborative ventures, organized by Ouishare Montreal. He presented some info about the reality of collaborative entrepreneurship, making distinctions between that and classical and social entrepreneurship. Tibi also discussed about public-private-crowd partnerships, interfaces between the crowd, academia+public sector and the private sector. All this was very well received. Tibi shared with Robert the memos sent to MESI (for the collaborative economy public consultation) and to Ville de Montréal (for sports and outdoors activities public consultation). Robert will get back to us as soon as he comes back from vacation.

July 04, 2018 - Meeting with David and George Bossé (Verdun)

The topic was space for the first lab, first year. M. Bosse (ex. mayor of Verdun) works for the Church in front of the Verdun Metro, to find a new vocation for the church and the Presbytere, adjacent to the church. The church wants to maintain its vocation and operations, but activities are low, so they want to invite other activities in their buildings. They are considering public/community-based or a more private vocation for the available space (the church basement and some parts of the Presbytere). The city of Montreal is involved in the discussion and wants to implement activities related to social innovation and social economy (the collaborative economy is still not in the vocabulary of the city). The Verdun project fits into that. The current Verdun mayor supports the project and pushed for the social orientation, with the Verdun project being part of the plan. A library would also like to take the church’s basement, but they can only move in in 3 years, and are ready to start paying rent now, in order to reserve the space. There is a possibility for us to occupy the space for them for 2 years, giving them the third year to prepare the space for the actual library. We need to talk to them (action item). We would relocate after the first year, when we will decide to implement the other 4 to 5 labs. All these discussions are expected to end by September.

Another option discussed was to contact http://www.destinationtravail.org/, a sort of incubator for young entrepreneurs. They are buying a building in Lachine (pretty far from the Metro) and we can share the space. Tibi already established contract with them.

May 02, 2018 - Meeting with Ville de Montréal, Développement Économique

Tibi and Pierre-Laurent met with Cécile Vergier from Ville de Montréal, Développement Économique. They went to the same presentation created for Verdun, see update below. The Verdun project and the economic model proposed, our way of understanding and practicing the collaborative economy were very well received. Cecile knows Ouishare, is connected to some Ouishare members and is generally aware of our model.

The main goal of the meeting was to secure a space in Verdun for the project and ask for funding for the first year, the City’s part along MESI and the DEC.

Cécile told them that her department at the City is in the midst of a strategy and planning process that will determine their priorities for the next 4 years. There is no budget available at this particular moment, but this will change in a month from now, when the Ville de Montreal will publish their plans. Tibi understood that our intervention was timely, as our project can influence the City’s strategy. Since MESI has opened a process to institutionalize the collaborative economy (see taskforce on the collaborative economy), the city might follow.

Cécile is already talking to the City’s department that manages buildings about our project. This department is also in a process of redefining their strategy and priorities for allocation of vacant spaces, which might take 2 to 3 months to be completed. The situation is not so simple. Most empty buildings require renovation. Most vacant buildings have asbestos problems. We will engage this department with her help, before their process of redefining their strategy and priorities is over.

April 17, 2018 - Meeting with Verdun

Tibi and Agathe met with Gabriel Begin and Etienne Brunet from Arrondissement de Verdun to presented the Verdun project (open presentation). The project was well received. In the past, the Verdun project has received the support of Jean-François Parenteau (mayor of Verdun) - see meeting with Jean-François Parenteau below.

Gabriel will initiate a discussion with Ville de Montréal Développement Économique to discuss immédiate possibilities for finding a space for the first open lab and for funding (¼ from the budget of the first year in kind and/or in funding). Gabriel and Etienne and Gabriel also urged us to continue to work with PME Montreal Sud-West for the space, they offer services to facilitate the process and have an inventory of available spaces.

Verdun will be in contact with Ville de Montréal to negotiate how to share their contributions. Verdun has a budget for this type of projects. Getting the OK from MESI is an important step for the city to move, once MESI has accepted to support the project for the first year the City will follow.  

April 16, 2018 - Presenting the collaborative economy and the Verdun project to MESI

MESI has created a task force to frame the collaborative economy. Tibi was invited to present the collaborative economy as practiced by Sensorica (open presentation). The model was very well received. The Verdun project was also briefly presented as an example, and placed in continuity to the development of Sensorica’s OVN model. Tibi invited MESI to collaborate on this project, a living lab of new collaborative practices that can inform future policies in Quebec, knowing that Dominique Anglade (the minister) already knows about the project and has manifested her support. He also presented our current needs for Verdun.

This is an effort to introduce new language about the collaborative economy and to frame the collaborative economy in  a way that will facilitate access to resources for Sensorica and similar projects, in the future. Currently, in our discourse with the Government we need to create associations with the social economy, which has already been institutionalized in Quebec. The social economy and the collaborative economy are distinct and we hope that our efforts/intervention will lead to a greater recognition of our model and to its legitimization.

See past interactions with MESI below.

April 11, 2018 - Phone call  with PME Montréal Sud-Ouest

Tibi had a phone conversation with Stephane Dupupet (Conseiller aux entreprises,| Économie sociale PME MTL Grand Sud-Ouest) to discuss about their support for the Verdun project. for the most part, Tibi described the project and the collaborative economy - the context. They also discussed immediate needs: finding a space for the first open lab, and potential funding for the first year. Stephane found the project interesting and they agreed to set up a meeting in two weeks.

April 10, 2018 - Exchanges with PME Montréal centre ville

Tibi exchanged with Jason Prince from PME Montréal centre ville about the Verdun project and the collaborative economy at large. They arranged a meeting to explore a collaboration for the development of new services that PME Montreal could offer, designed specifically for collaborative entrepreneurs and collaborative enterprises. The idea was well received and they set up a meeting on April 19, also involving the director of PME Montréal centre ville. Jason suggested that we engage Stephane Dupupet from PME Montréal Sud-Ouest for their support for finding a space for the first open lab, the first year.

March 5 2018 - Meeting with REMODEL

Tibi, Tim and Charles met with REMODEL to discuss possible collaboration.   

Jan 25 2018 - Meeting with Samer from p2pModels project

Tibi met with Samer Hassan, PI of the p2pModels project, funded by the European Commission. Tibi and Samer met previously during the p2pValue project.

Tibi presented the Verdun project and SENSORICA. Samer and Tibi believe that the Verdun project can be a very good candidate for the p2pModels study, building a framework and templates for DAOs (distributed autonomous organizations) on p2p technology. In other words, this is an attempt to collaborate on IT infrastructure development. The Verdun project can serve as a testing ground for the p2pModels project, testing new tools to sustain networks and open innovation ecosystems with activities that deploy well into the material world (i.e. comanaging physical spaces and equipment, undergoing R&D and prototyping of material goods, production and distribution of material goods). The benefit for Verdun project is to mutualize this IT infrastructure development effort with p2pModels project.

Next steps, p2pModels is hiring stuff. Right after that, they will select 2 to 4 communities to collaborate tightly and become first adopters of the tools that p2pModels project will build. The selection process will start by identifying best candidates. The advantage of the Verdun project is its real/physical world deployment, its complexity, but also the maturity of the SENSORICA community behind it, in terms of pure p2p practices, a community which has pushed the boundaries and stayed on the edge of the p2p development, and is always willing to test new tools and improve its infrastructure and model. The chance that the Verdun project becomes part of the 3-4 communities to work tightly with the p2pModels project is pretty high.

NOTE: The description of the p2pModels project is very Blockchain-centred, but Samer, the PI of the project, told Tibi that there is room for other p2p technologies. For example, Holochain can become a candidate, if we discover that it is the best suited for our purpose.

Jan 22nd, 2018 - Phone conversation with Ministry of Families, Children and Social Development

Phone conversation between Tibi and Marc-Etienne Vien Director, Issues management, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development.

Tibi presented the NOICE / LEVOICE / Verdun project and spoke about the distinction between the social economy and the collaborative economy. Tibi also presented the intersection between the two: open innovation spaces host entrepreneurial / commercial activities as well as activities with high social value (education, socially oriented projects, etc.)

One angle of approach with this ministry is to see this cluster of open spaces as springboards for students (they practice their newly acquired technical knowledge and build professional networks), and as springboards for highly educated immigrants (develop canadian experience, build professional networks, ...).

Marc-Ethuienne connected Tibi with M. Blair McMurren, from ESDC. A meeting is being scheduled between Tibi and M. Blair McMurren.

Jan 18th, 2018 - Meeting with TATA Consultancy Services

Some individuals from TATA Consultancy Services are interested in collaborating with SENSORICA and the Verdun project. They are actively seeking support within their organization. Tibi is arranging a phone call with David, they want to better understand the support we are getting from the federal and provincial government. In parallel, TATA Consultancy Services agreed to provide a template of a collaborative agreement between TATA and CAKE (The Custodian of SENSORICA), based on which we can formalize a relationship.

We also need to think about the formal relation between different stakeholders in the Verdun project and the Consortium. TATA is interested in the type of benefits they could get from this type of relation.

TATA consultancy group is interested in:

SENSORICA and Ouishare is moving forward with the Governance of the Verdun project. Part of this effort is the creation of the Consortium. TATA Consultancy Services will be included in this effort.

Jan 4th, 2018 - Phone conversation with David

Tibi updated David on recent work/initiatives related to the Verdun project. They discussed next steps and generated a few action items

November 20th, 2017 - Meeting with Impak Finance

Tibi met with Francois Le Bel from Impak Finance, and with Marguerite Mandel from Concordia University to explore possible interfaces between Impak and LEVOICE.

The LEVOICE project was presented in its native context of the social and collaborative economy. Tibi presented the types of projects the LEVOICE ecosystem will host, and the links with the public and the private sectors. He also explained how the economic activity will be structured and recorded using the NRP-CAS, which will provide real time feedback.

When it comes to sourcing projects within the ecosystem, Tibi explained the actual reality. Projects are sourced through crowdsourcing activity (which are mostly sweat equity based), crowdfunding, and donations. These mechanisms are effective to take an idea to the proof of concept or minimal viable product (MVP) level. But they are not very effective in scaling solutions. If we take as an example a plastic recycling system based on open source equipment that is placed in local makerspaces, once we master the processes of building the equipment, operating and servicing it, we might want to deploy it throughout Québec, scale it up according to our participatory economy models before someone “uberises” it. That requires a large injection of funding, and since this plastic recycling system comes with a benefit generation mechanism (including revenue generation), we can think of investment in a more classical sense, with a promise of returns (ROI). This kind of investment is subject to securities regulations, which are not our domain nor expertise. The role of Impak Financing would be to translate these new types of ventures to investors and match investors with collaborative ventures that have a social good component. The added value LEVOICE would provide is metrics to evaluate the potential of projects (based on the problem they solve, on their structure and track record, etc), and real time monitoring of activity.

There is a strong desire to collaborate on both sides. Impak wants to learn more about the participatory economy and about new types of collaborative ventures, and wants to learn how to translate that to investors. LEVOICE wants to partner with an entity that deals with securities and help collaborative projects scale.

November 1st, 2017 - Phonecall with ESDC

Tibi had a phone call about the Verdun project with Corinne Baggley and Katrine Scott from:  

Emploi et Développement Social Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

Employment and Social Development Canada / Government of Canada

The purpose of this meeting was to prepare the terrain for the funding of the second stage of the Verdun project, the implementation phase.

Corinne and Katrine had already read a project description before the phone call. They really appreciate our efforts and agree that this is the direction our country should take in social innovation. During the conversation it was also agreed that such project is still misunderstood, that there is confusion between the traditional social economy and the collaborative / participatory economy.

Their ministry is in the midst of a strategy process for the 2018 budget. We were invited to contribute to this strategy process. We need to build on the documents you find here.

October 25, 2017 - Meeting with MESI

Jacques Lambert, (Conseiller en innovation, Direction des maillages et des partenariats industriels, Ministère de l’Économie, de la Science et de l’Innovation) contacted Alex and Tibi for a meeting to discuss more about the NOICE / LEVOICE project. Tibi had a meeting with Jacques and Geneviève Drolet at their office in the old port, Montreal.  

Our first application to Startup Québec, a program run by MESI has been rejected by the selection committee, mainly because the members of the committee did not understand our project and did not feel secure enough to approve it. The committee is made of different stakeholders from the private and the public sector, not just of government employees. This is normal, since we are presenting a new economic model that is still poorly understood by the general population (part of our experience). Jacques and Genevieve do understand and appreciate the project and expressed their desire to help us find other sources of funding in the following weeks. They will work closely with us to formulate our funding proposals to meet their requirements. This help is part of their coaching program for projects that show good potential.

On possibility would be a social innovation grant. Jacques suggested that we write it in collaboration with Margie Mandell (Concordia University) and Le Chantier de l’Economie Sociale came up too.

September 28th, 2017 - SENSORICA meeting,

Building alignment meeting with SENSORICA affiliates on the Verdun project.

In attendance: Hadi, Bruce, Michael, Adi, Benedicte.

We mostly worked on the extensive project description doc. Michael had been reading the documentation on the project and making suggestions, we went over some of his comments. Adi wanted to nail down the numbers and work on the economic plan; we discussed around the project Budget. We also discussed the social value component in parallel with the economic component of the project. Benedicte nailed some social value points.

At the end of the meeting the focus was the MESI presentation (if the MESI proposal is accepted, somewhere in October, we will be called to do a presentation in front of the committee). Tibi created a Google presentation for creating the slides for this presentation. Tibi also explained the methodology to collaboratively produce this presentation.

September 26th, 2017 - Meeting with Ville de Montréal, Tuesday,

Tibi met with Valérie St-Jean (Commissaire en développement économique Service du développement économique Ville de Montréal). Valerie had already received the MESI proposal and was referred to us by the DEC. She had a lot of questions about SENSORICA, some about OuiShare, which she had already heard about. Valérie was also interested in the process, the project development plan. Trying to understand the “collaborative economy cluster” concept, put forward in the MESI proposal, she was also very interested in our larger partnership and asked to see the support letters that we have already received. Tibi also mentioned the prior work of SENSORICA and OuiShare to build more coherence in the local collaborative economy, to connect different open initiatives. SENSORICA’s work is documented here. OuiShare’s work is exemplified by Eco2Fest.

Valérie asked why we are not joining forces with Batiment 7 and la Maison de l’Innovation Sociale. Tibi told her that we are already extending our offer of collaboration to many organizations in Montreal, we are in contact with some groups from Building 7 and we have already discussed with Maison de l’Innovation Sociale. Tibi also told Valerie that the first year of the project will be about relations building (throughout Montreal), public consultation and analysis of needs and wants of people in Verdun in terms of collaborative spaces and practices.  

One interesting question was why in Verdun, and why all 5 open spaces (CELLS) in Montreal South West? Tibi explained that in order to seed a collaborative economy cluster we need to build critical mass concentrated in an area, which will become visible and known. This is also the case with the startup scene in downtown Montreal, and the social economy cluster in Villeray, Rosemont and Petite Patrie.

The Ville de Montréal is in a process of redefining their strategies for economic development, which is also probably linked to the municipal election period. We can see this as an opportunity to help the Ville de Montreal to include the collaborative economy, which is still very poorly understood, in their vision for the city.

Tibi will send more information to Valérie and will continue exchanges by email. 

Friday 22nd, September, 2017 - Phone conversation with David

Tibi was in a phone conversation with David for updates on the project. He announced David about the meeting with the City of Montreal, the third funding partner, meeting that was about to take place a few days later, on September 26th.

David told Tibi that Dominique Anglade has been informed about the Verdun project.

David also told Tibi that we should contact another Federal Government branch in order to start negotiations for funding for years 2 to 5. They have also been informed about the Verdun project and his assistant will make the introductions.

September 12th 2017 - communication with Ville de Montréal

Tibi sent email to Ville de Montréal as part of the funding gathering for the first year, after we received a suggestion to do so from the DEC. He attached the MESI proposal to the message and copied Alex.

September 6th 2017 - Meeting

OuiShare Big Wednesday meeting to discuss about the Verdun project. Tibi presented the project in more details to OuiShare members. The goal was to build support for the project. This presentation was used.

August 15th 2017 - MESI funding proposal

Submission of funding proposal to MESI. See document.

August 9th, 2017 - OuiShare & Sensorica meeting

Objectif : préparer la demande de financement pour le provincial (deadline = 15/8, 16h)

August 3, 2017 - OuiShare & Sensorica meeting

Rencontre avec Alex, Tibi, Marc-André et Estelle pour mettre en place un plan d’action pour la demande de financement au provincial.

Etat des lieux du financement :

=> transformer les relations avec le DEC et le MESI, engagement sur 90K (possibilité d’avoir 120K?) conditionné au financement total du projet, obtenir une lettre d’engagement

Plan d’action pour la préparation de la demande de financement :

A faire :

July 28, 2007 - More funding calls

Phone call with David 

McConnell Foundation likes the project but are not ready to fund it at this early stage of development. They also suggested that we establish partnerships with academia (Universities better, CGEPs OK). They have funding for education and we can get some from their program, part to the academic institution part to Verdun project. The idea is to establish educational programs in partnership with academia, students would attend at their University / CEGEP and at the LE VOICE locations. [action items] Tibi will contact Francois prof at ETS, he collaborates with SENSORICA on IoT. He will also contact the CEGEP Andre Laurendeau, they are favorable to the Verdun project and want to get the involved. Tibi will also contact Margie (Concordia) and Mai (HEC Montreal). Marc-Andre can speak with Concordia. Alex can speak to Fabien from UQAM. 

We need to contact Saputo Foundation to ask for 20 - 25K for setting up the legal structure, accounting and finances of the LE VOICE project.

Phone call with MESI (contact provided by the DEC)

They have a program with Startup Quebec where we fit perfectly, according to Genevieve, adviser at MESI. They can give up to 150,000$/year for 3 years. We need to apply before the 15th of August. If we have questions, we can get back to Genevieve after the 7th of August. Tibi already received the instructions for this proposal and created a document to start working on the proposal. [action item] Tibi, Alex, Marc-Andre will start working on it - need to structure this work, Tibi already proposed a methodology.

July 20, 2017 - Funding meeting with the DEC

This morning Alex, Marc-Andre (OuiShare) and Tibi met with the regional manager, Jean-Philippe Brassard from DEC / Montreal and discussed the project.

Jean-Philippe understood what we are trying to do. The key to his understanding was that we want to federate open spaces in Montreal and throughout Canada, not just build more fab labs. Verdun's 5 CELLs (open spaces) are to build that critical mass to show other open spaces the power of federation through a common p2p IT infrastructure for resource and process management and a layer of federation Governance. Alex and Marc-Andre just came back from Europe where they met people from FabCity and other similar initiatives, and they spoke during our meeting about these efforts, putting the LE VOICE project into a global movement/process perspective.

They offered $90K (up from 75K last week), but they said can do more, up to ⅓ of the total $500k. This is part of their normal procedures when they work with a non-profit and projects like ours.

They promised to give us other contacts, example Quebec Innovation Ministry (MESI), Development Economique Montreal, and Emploi et Development Social Canada.  

Next steps.

  1. Set up meeting with Sarah Gagnon Turcotte again to get access to Montreal Mayor's office through Jean-François Parenteau (mayor in Verdun).
  2. Set up meeting with Quebec's ministry of Innovation
  3. Set up meeting with one of the foundations, McConnell or Saputo
  4. Set up meeting with Emploi et Development Social Canada, we have a case for them, they could be interested in funding... I don't know how and what they fund, but since we want to develop a structure to involve SAJE (ecole des entrepreneurs de Montréal), PEM Montréal and Grandir sans Frontieres, they can see that LE VOICE will have an influence on unemployment (tech reeducation, entrepreneurship education and help to entrepreneurs to launch collaborative ventures).

So I think we have the first stone, we need to get the other 3 or 4.

July 10, 2017 - First funding meeting with DEC

Meeting with Stephen Canty from DEC (Montreal)

M. Canty has received the project proposal from his colleagues at the DEC and Tibi set up a meeting with him to discuss the funding for the first stage of the project, close to $500K.

Tibi presented the Verdun project and its context. Tibi also brought paper prints of Horizon 2020 CAPS initiative from the European Commission to establish a parallel between the LE VOICE / NOICE / Verdun project and similar projects in Europe.

M. Canty said that he can release $75K immediately, but in order to gain access to more, we would need to meet with some of his superiors. M. Canty is setting up this meeting, Tibi will be informed as soon as an availability will present itself. Vacation time will probably slow down the process a bit.

June 23rd, 2017 - Meeting with MIS

Alex had a call with David, its team, and Hugo Steben from the MIS (Maison de l’Innovation Sociale)

Purpose of the meeting : weaving a link between LE VOICE and “Ville d’avenir”, a project of the MIS, financed by the McConnell foundation and related to the “future city” network that has similarities with LE VOICE

David begun the meeting explaining that he was confident in a launch for the project in automne 2017. Therefore, he needs to withdraw from the process, as he is the MP of Verdun and ask to Tibi and Alex to take the role of promotion of LE VOICE.

Then Hugo introduced itself and the “Ville d’Avenir” project (see here in french)

June 15, 2017 - meeting with MIS

Alex met Hugo Steben and Patrick Dube from Maison de l’Innovation Sociale. They are launching the project “Ville d’Avenir”, beginning in automn 2017. They are in partnership with Entremise, who identifies non-occupied owned-by-the-city places, where temporary residences can be done. There will is to empower the citizens in their neighborhoods. At the end of the 6-months residences, a “leg” could be done in the place, like a makerspace or a livinglab.

Their purpose is close from LE VOICE and the financial partners are similar (McConnell foundation). So, Verdun could be one of their place, in order to mix the projects.  

June 08, 2017 - meeting with David

Tibi had a call with David.

We'll arrange a meeting with McConnell Foundation and perhaps Saputo foundation at the beginning of July, to discuss initial seed funding.

We'll get back to the Verdun administration.  

No precise date for when the Fed Gov will release the funding that is already there for initiatives like Verdun project.

I informed David about our ecosystem building activities, meaning to bring partners into the game with us, to provide some essential services. This relationship building takes time, and this is why we do it ahead of the funding release, which is OK, because David is very confident and he blesses this activity. Creating the seed of this ecosystem by bringing in initial partners is important because our story during the outreach / consultation phase will be composed around this initial seed.

In other words, our approach is not to build 5 labs, but to build potential around this physical infrastructure by putting a platform for the collaborative economy on top of it, and branching out + adding more potential through our partners.  

May 30, 2017 - Ouishare meeting

Nouvelle rencontre le 30 mai avec Alex et Laurence pour explorer des pistes de collaboration :

Introduction : la MIS (Maison d’innovation sociale) n'est plus un projet immobilier mais une démarche de terrain dont la volonté est de faire le lien entre les démarche citoyennes qui se rendent souvent jusqu'au stade de protypage et l'écosystème d'incudation/accélération qui démarre souvent sans impliquer les citoyens.

1/ le projet Ville d'avenir

Projet d'occupation temporaire (a priori 6 mois) de lieux inoccupés, fournis par la ville. L'objectif est d'avoir 4 résidences citoyennes sur les thèmes suivants :

- démocratie participative avec le Bureau de la ville Intelligente de MTL

- financement de l'innovation sociale - Desjardins et la caisse d'ES est approché

- infrastructures (pépinière + Solon)

- Gouvernance : pas de partenaires confirmés à date

Les premiers territoires concernés (dès septembre 2017) sont le plateau et NDG.

2/ lien avec le projet Verdun

Une réunion peut-être envisagée avec l'ensemble des acteurs de Ville d'avenir et de LEVOICE pour voir si une mutualisation des efforts est souhaitable

L'idée est de montrer aux acteurs de financement que les acteurs de Montréal sont capables de travailler en écosystème.

Possibilité d'amener une vision Fabcity

Pistes envisagées :

- Verdun peut être un des lieux de ville d'avenir?

- Penser à connecter les espaces dans un ecosystèmes d'innovation ouvert cohérent?

May 29, 2017 - Meeting at Helios

Tibi assisted at Helios [a sustainable makerspace in Montreal, St. Henry] assembly and presented the Verdun project. Ross Hodess [Council Member & Community Manager], knew already about the project through OuiShare activities, and introduced it to Helios. the goal of the meeting was to see how Helios can contribute to the Verdun project and benefit from it. Their participation would be very interesting, since they have a lot of experience running a community-based and sustainable makerspace. The message was very well received. After our presentation, we left them to continue the discussions and formulate propositions about their involvement. They are considering writing a support letter.

Mai 23, 2017 - Meeting David’s new assistant

[Tibi] Met with Alicia and Stacey in Verdun, to bring Alicia up to speed with the Verdun project. Alicia will replace Stacey, she is new, and wanted to meet with us and learn more about the project. Stacey was very helpful and is also coaching Alicia. I let them know about my calls for support letters (previously shared this doc with Alicia). Stacey told me that they are working on a improved version of the project proposal. Stacey also told me that the proposal is still in the hands of the Ministry, but no meeting has been set yet to discuss it in details. For the next 2-3 weeks they will be very busy in Ottawa. July and August is when the project will be accelerated, because the House of Commons is not sitting. We could not get more details on timing for the funding…

May 18, 2017 - call with La Ruche

Tibi spoke to Sophie from La Ruche. She likes the Verdun project, they see it as a source of ventures that can use their services. Tibi proposed that La Ruche participates in the first phase of public consultation to better understand the project and define their role. At the same time, we can also better understand where and how they can fit. Tibi used the metaphor of “dating” for this first year, where we learn about each others and understand how we can work together.

Tibi sent them the document that describes the project. She is going to Québec for a meeting of their organisations in a few days, where they are going to discuss about it. Sophie also told Tibi that there is a girl based in Verdun, who is an ambassador for La Ruche, who can be the bridge between us and La Ruche.

Sophie offered to write a letter of support for the project.

May 16, 2017 - Call with SAJE

Tibi had a conversation with SAJE, Hugo and Jean-Benoit. He explained the project and presented how SAJE can play a role in it. Essentially, SAJE could take on educational services for collaborative entrepreneurs operating from the LE VOICE ecosystem. SAJE doesn’t understand the demand for collaborative entrepreneurship and doesn’t have experience with it. Hugo asked for statistics to evaluate the demand for services to collaborative entrepreneurs and ventures, in order to assess the risks and advantages of SAJE to start a collaborative entrepreneurship program. Tibi told them that such data has not been compiled and that the Quebec Government is just starting to map the collaborative economy activity. He also told them that Sensorica and OuiShare get a lot of requests and are already involved in education, but that the education approach that we are using are not well formalized. SAJE has a lot of experience in delivering educational programs with a high rate of success and a good degree of efficiency. So we need to put in place a mechanism through which Sensorica and OuiShare transfers their knowledge and experience to SAJE and SAJE picks us the role of providing education to collaborative entrepreneurs.

Tibi proposed that during the first year SAJE allocates some resources to follow the public consultation process, to get acquainted with the collaborative economy and to assess the demand for education programs. Jean-Benoit asked if there are financial resources available for developing educational programs tailored for the collaborative economy. Tibi told them that there are no funds in the budget specifically for this.

NOTE: we could work with SAJE to formulate a funding proposal once they manifest increased interest in such programs, I. E . after some time into the first year of the project. We also need to keep our options open and if SAJE decides not to persue this path with us, to find other partners or to develop our own programs.

Todo: Tibi will share with them the document describing the project. Tibi will work with them to produce a letter of support. He will create a document and share it with Hugo and Jean-Benoit, and they can refine it an pass it through their administration.

May 15, 2017 - Call with P2P Foundation

Tibi had a conversation with Michel Bauwens, Vasilis and Alex from the p2p Foundation. We have their full support, Vasilis will write a letter of support and run it through Michel Bauwens for approval.

Tibi proposed the p2p Foundation to contribute to the report scheduled in the budget after the second year of the project, 65K allocated to it. They liked the proposition.

Tibi also proposed to have one or two people from the p2p Foundation to come to Montreal to work on the project for a few weeks. They liked the proposition.

The p2p Foundation has a similar project in Europe and are very eager to follow the example of Verdun project.

Michel has a City  Commons initiative in Europe and would like to bring it to the attention of David, to illustrate that the Verdun initiative is not the only one of its kind.

May , 2017 - Call with ENSPIRAL

Tibi had a conversation with Joshua, founder of ENSPIRAL. He presented the project, which was very well received. ENSPIRAL is in the middle of some governance work and expressed the desire to exchange notes.

Tibi proposed to have one or two ENSPIRAL individuals to come to Montreal to work with us on the project.  This proposition was well received.

March 22, 2017 - Budget discussions with David

Alex and Tibi met with Stacey, David’s assistant, to discuss budget, project deliverables and legal structure. We will continue to work on these things the week after. This is putting the final touch on the proposal before the funding.

February - Meeting

Alex and Tibi met with Stacey. She replaces Gillian as assistant for David. Tracey needed to get more acquainted with the project. We met at David’s office.

December 21th - Meeting

Tibi, Marguerite, David and Gillian will meet at David’s riding office in Verdun.

The main goal of this meeting was to connect Marguerite Mendell with David and his team. This went very well, great alignment in values and great personal connection.

In terms of funding, we discussed some road bumps, which are not road blocks, according to David. This is about communicating the difference between the Verdun project and the other projects in Montreal, for the social economy and the collaborative economy. Our specificity is the OVN model and SENSORICA’s commons-based peer production implementation, which is important to turn open innovation into growth of the local collaborative economy (instead of having traditional corporations capture that value). The reality is that many initiatives and buzzwords are competing for attention today, in a time of profound socio-economic change, marked by a huge proliferation of initiatives and languages. Decision makers are confused and the commons-based p2p model is still poorly understood. Our challenge and mission is to explain the specificity and the originality of our approach, while tying it to other similar initiatives around the world, to its own global context. My [Tibi] opinion is that this is not just a communication issue, we need to do some education, because very few understand commons-based peer production.

It turns out that Margie knows some people in the ecosystem and can help us make our model stand out. Margie needs some more understanding about how open innovation in the Verdun project is connected to our implementation of commons-based peer production to stimulate the development of the local collaborative economy. Tibi will help with that.

Margie reiterated her commitment to involve students in the Verdun project, to produce description and analysis as the project evolves.

After our meeting, David was meeting with Claude Pinard (Saputo), Nicolina Farrella (McConnell), Lyndsay Daudier (Amplifier) and Patrick Dubé (Maison de l'innovation sociale). They already reported back a ‘’good meeting’’.

They felt there was a good synergy with NOICE and the current landscape of similar projects across Montreal and were very supportive. We look forward to following up with everyone in the new year

December 12 - Update

Meeting between Tibi and Marguerite Mendell from Concordia

We discussed the Verdun project in more details to understand where Margueritte can contribute. To my [Tibi] understanding, she is interested in gathering data for the ecosystem that this Verdun pilot project will generate around it, through our education activities (ex. Grandir sans Frontieres), services to the private sector (ex. Robco), relations with the Arrondissement of Verdun and City of Montreal, and the collaborative relations that we will generate with other open and collaborative initiatives in Montreal. She would work with students to provide descriptions, understanding, analysis, and recommendations. since this is a pilot project, we need a body of academic papers behind it, in order to prepare the second phase, which is the deployment of similar methods throughout Canada. We see here a change in scope of the Verdun project, initiated by David’s funding proposal that presents the project as a pilot for a broader, Canadian initiative for open innovation and collaborative economy.  I [Tibi] brought some more clarity into the academic needs with respect to open innovation, commons-based peer production and the collaborative economy. We are moving past the description of these phenomena that started to emerge 20 years ago. The movement has reached a certain maturity, and the academic focus is now shifting to detection of problems, problems analysis and design of solutions. In other words, there is enough history and a sufficient number of organizations operating in this space that a patterns of problems can be observed, analyzed and put into a theoretical framework that allows us to design solutions.

Marguerite sees this as a social innovation project. She mentioned someone that she wants to share the project with, which would be a great vehicle to spread the project throughout Canada. She also mentioned other social innovation and social economy projects that she can bring closer to the Verdun project.

We discussed the position of the Federal Government with respect to the collaborative economy (what we understand), and the position of Montreal’s mayor. Marguerite knows the mayor, she helped him polish his understanding about the social economy and social innovation. We are trying to understand how she can intervene at the level of the City of Montreal.

Marguerite used the metaphor of bumping cars to describe the current situation in the social economy and social innovation space. These are becoming buzzwords, and everyone and their uncle wants to get it to capture something from the hype. As different organizations go at it, sometimes they create friction among themselves. We agreed that we need to increase the level of coherence in this space. I [Tibi] proposed the idea of the creation of a think tank, a pole of wisdom and experience that will exert some influence on the ecosystem. This would not be a formal umbrella organization or an institution that will impose a structure and at the same time regulate or impose restrictions or act as a filter. This would rather be a collective, occupying a space for discussion and coordination, a visible body, with social media outreach. Can OuiShare host this space?

December 6th - Update

We received a document from David’s office for us to review, to be used for funding. This is still a draft, not too far from being completed. Attached to it, they are proposing this budget. The document itself looks good.

December 4th - Update

Marguerite Mendell from Concordia wants to collaborate on the project.

From Margie:

As for how I can contribute to your project, we need to talk if you want this to be clearly outlined, but my quick answer is by fully supporting it and documenting it as it evolves. Also, by getting students involved as participant observers, though this would have to be developed and may be on an “ad hoc” basis, at least initially. As I told you, I am very interested in the city as commons, the co-city, and this project is certainly a flagship illustration of collaborative governance in a municipality. I would like to learn more. So let me know how precise my answer to your question needs to be at this stage.

As for D3, let’s see…There will be a “social innovation zone” set up soon at Concordia and what I find is that your project cuts across D3 and social innovation, demonstrating the need for both or at least the need to integrate these processes that are too often separated as social innovation is on everyone’s mind these days, leaving it vague in most cases and a way to get government off the hook in other cases.

November 15th - Update

We are still meeting with Ministerial offices: Tourism and Small Business, Social Development, Innovation, and Finance. We are working on identifying champions, designing a brief that takes the right approach to presenting this project to the federal government, and strategizing how and to whom to present the project to ensure success.

 

We are setting up a meeting with the Quebec provincial government: trying to get a meeting with Minister of Innovation, Dominique Anglade, and with the new provincial MNA for the riding (election will be on December 5).

 

We are also working on potential foundation funding. Having some non-governmental financial support will help the ask. We have talked with Trottier Foundation and have an upcoming meeting with the McConnell Foundation.

 

I can’t give you precise information on timelines at this time. Budget 2017 will come out in spring 2017 and we are essentially working to pitch a federal program to support initiatives like LE VOICE. That is not to say we will not secure financing before then, however. I believe there are a couple of existing programs that could fund this initiative as well.

 

In brief, we are working on multiple threads on our side but it is, by nature, moving more slowly than you are likely used to.

Gillian

October 31th - visit 2 spaces in Verdun

Gillian (Federal) was at this visit meeting, along with Diane Vallée and Sarah Gagnon-Turcotte (Verdun). From OuiShare (Alex), Tibi and Francois-Eric King (SENSORICA).

We started with a visit of the church and another space that belongs to Arrondissement Verdun. We took pictures and videos that you will find here.

[Tibi]

The Church

There is a general feeling that the Church (see on the map) is better suited for the first phase of the project. The location, the history, the wood, the garden and the large event space under the church are the strongest points. We could deploy our activities for the first phase without major work on the building, just some painting job and very small repairs.

Longer term, the Church requires very large investments. There is asbestos in the walls, so anything that requires moving a wall requires lots of care and must be done by certified professionals. the estimate is 3M$ to renovate the entire building.

The Church admin is open to different possibilities. We believe that the best option for us, now, is cohabitation with the landlord and other tenants. We would take the first floor. The building can be separated into sections. Values between collaborative communities and the church are compatibles. We would have access to the garden and small park and to the large hall in the basement of the church for large events.

The 4400

The 4400 building (see on maps) is not very well located. There is no history, the building is all in cement, the interior layout is one large lobby and small rooms all around. The divisions are not conducive of collaboration, the space could be opened more, but it is would require larger investment.

There is also a large basement that can also be used for machines, with a large garage door. This space would be perfect for on of the open spaces to be opened in the future, but not suitable for the first phase of the project.  

October 14th - meeting / presentation

Date :                              Vendredi, le 14 octobre 2016

Heure :                            14h à 16h

Lieu :                                   4555 rue de Verdun, suite 202

Participants :              

David, Député de LaSalle-Émard-Verdun

Jean-François Parenteau, Maire de l’arrondissement Verdun

Pierre L’Heureux, Conseiller d'arrondissement à Verdun

Diane Vallée, Directrice de projet collaboratif à Verdun

Nicole Ollivier, Directrice de la culture, des sports, des loisirs, et de la dévelopment social chez Ville de Montréal

Alexandre Bigot, OuiShare

Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Sensorica

Sarah Gagnon-Turcotte, Directrice de cabinet du maire de l’arrondissement Verdun

Janine Lam, Directrice du bureau de circonscription pour David

Gillian Nycum, Adjointe spéciale pour David

Christian Bélanger, PME Montréal

Billy Walsh, Directeur général, Societé de Développement commercial Wellington

Ordre du jour :

1)     Mot de bienvenue et introduction des participants

1)     Discussion de la proposition d’un réseau « Fab Lab » pour Verdun / LaSalle-Émard-Verdun.

2)     Discussion : Comment pouvons-nous travailler ensemble pour réaliser ces projets?

3)     Discussion : Prochaines étapes

We will bring with us this presentation.

[Tibi]

Outcomes:

The mayor of Verdun is onboard.

Next week we are going to visit 2 spaces, where the project can start. One is the Church, the other one is not too far from there, near the St Laurent river.

 PEM Montreal would be onboard.

I presented also the possibility of SAJE Montréal / École des entrepreneurs, as an added service, which was received pretty well. PME Montreal and Ecole des entrepreneurs are already partners.

Some questions about the budget, but I have a feeling that they trust our experience (perhaps we should add  comparison with similar projects and their budget, for example Bibliotheque St Sulpice, $17,000,000).

The plan / methodology for the Phase 1 was not questioned, and even got supported by the cabinet of Verdun’s mayor.  

In general, the presentation went well. Some questions about the budget for launching a new space, but it was understood that we do have experience in this field, and I think we inspired confidence. I linked the open innovation ecosystem (the project) to the participatory economy, trying to communicate the idea that what we are doing is in tune with important new economic development, but this message was not really understood during the presentation. Some questions came back later, to link this project to real economic development. I went in more detail, showing how 3D printing and Drones and Blockchain is supported by open source development and open communities. These facts were poorly understood in the room, apart from David, who reinforced our message. I also presented SENSORICA cases, how eVision came to find blockchain experts within the SENSORICA network, and Robco, who outsources its R&D (R&D on demand)  through SENSORICA. This last intervention was an effort to demonstrate how open spaces like SENSORICA are already contributing to the local economy. To reinforce the idea that open spaces do contribute to the local economy, I also mentioned Robco’s willingness to open a Techshop at its facility, which shows that companies are already interested in such open structures, for various reasons. I have a sense that these examples brought more clarity and confidence in the room. They also asked questions about SENSORICA, how it functions… I was avoiding this discussion, because it is not The presentation was forked into a new version. Tibi added what has been achieved until now, and what we expect from the next meeting.

September 13, 2016

See previous meeting.

Présents :

October 6th, 2016 - phone call

September 29th, 2016

Endroit: bureau de David

Compte rendu

[Alex]

JFP était déjà très au courant de l'intérêt des Fablabs et des espaces de coworking. Il a particulièrement apprécié que nous amenions un côté “réseau” et une structure pour organiser tout ça.

Cependant, JFP aimerait porter le projet en cohérence avec le développement du sud-ouest de Montréal : Quartier de l’innovation, La Fabrique, etc.

Selon lui, avec les berges, Verdun pourrait être un centre d'expérimentation d’agriculture urbaine et d’auto-suffisance alimentaire. C’est un des axes à travailler

Il avait aussi l’idée de faire un projet dans l’église ND des sept douleurs que le presbytère veut valoriser.

Donc, il préconise de faire une réunion avec PME-MTL pour lancer une initiative sud-ouest qui partirait de Verdun pour rayonner sur le sud ouest de Montréal. L’objectif est de leur proposer un projet plus concret, voir ce qu’il en sort et David pourra le supporter avec de l’argent fédéral. Il pense qu’on peut aussi aller chercher de l’argent provincial via Anglade qui a sa circonscription ici aussi.

Une nouvelle réunion va être planifiée d’ici 1 mois (mi-octobre) pour continuer à avancer.

La prochain étape est de rencontrer PME-MTL (site web??)

[Tibi]

I understood that the added value that we bring, which is really our strength, is the ecosystem thinking and the big picture view, including strategies that we have sketched for setting up relations between open and collaborative initiatives. This is in the DNA of OuiShare Montreal and a long-time concern of SENSORICA (see Open Alliance project). Moreover, we are not only theorizing about this, but we are acting on the ground, building relations with other open initiatives in Montreal, with the potential of bringing them together into a coherent open platform.

David was very kind to edify our reputation in front of city officials, mentioning our visit to Ottawa and alluding to the important work SENSORICA has done over the years and the relevance of OuiShare.

There was a lot of excitement around the table. I heard “the time is right” many times. JFP also manifested his gratitude for David for having presented us to him.

They want more meat on the presentation. In other words, they want to see something more concrete more plans, more numbers. The idea to start with a space as soon as possible (at the church), and create something tangible that politicians can run with.

Still unclear who is going to drop the first coin in the bucket for this project. I think David and JFP are sorting this out.

As Alex said, it is still not clear who is our client… As more parties are brought into the equation there is the risk of having a dynamic of throwing the hot potato to the other, and we’ll end up exhausted from doing presentations. At some point we need to take lead and make things clear. All this process is work for us and attention driven away from other projects, not to mention that I think we are doing a great job, and we merit some monetary compensation.

August 31, 2016

See next meeting

In attendance: alex, Tibi, Jim, David, Gillian

Commentaire sur le projet :

D’après David, il est important de lancer rapidement la création d’au moins un espace ouvert qui servirait de “Flagship” au projet. Il a déjà en tête 2 endroits (1 anglo et 1 franco) qui pourraient convenir (une église et un centre communautaire).

La phase d’étude pourrait être lancée en parallèle pour définir comment seront utilisés les espaces - voire faire des événements directement à l’intérieur de ces espaces.

Il pense qu’il faut commencer avec la municipalité de Verdun dont les élus seront les plus faciles à convaincre et les autres suivront.

Il faut que l’arrondissement s’engage un minimum pour que le dossier passe bien à Ottawa. Donc, il faut isoler une partie du budget qu’ils prendront en charge.

Commentaires généraux sur la présentation :

Prochaines étapes :

[Tibi]

Pour la semaine du 12 Sept nous allons faire essentiellement la même présentation. Just après cette rencontre avec les élus David propose une démarche à Ottawa, et pour cela il aura besoin d'un résumé très court avec surtout des chiffres. Donc, $75,000 pour la phase 1 nous allons détailler ca, avec un plan. David put trouver $50,000, on va essayer de faire Verdun supporter $25,000, en partie cash en partie ''in kind''. Nous aurons $50,000 pour mettre en place cet espace flagship, dont la vocation se définit au fur et à mesure. Mais David a aussi besoin des budgets plus détaillés pour tous les types d'espaces ouvertes, incluant infrastructure et la mise en place des services, initiation et fonds de roulement pour la première année. Pour cela, je propose d'impliquer des communautés existantes pour nous donner des chiffres basés sur leur réalité: La remise, L'esplanade, Ramy pour un espace éventuel d'artistes, P3Permaculture pour un espace ouvert vert, ...

Des chiffres, des chiffres et des plans  plus détaillés.