MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Regular Meetings

10.22.18 @  5:30 pm – Children’s House Preschool: 1204 E Empire

BOD Approved on 11.26.18

  1. Work Session
  1. Grievance Policy / Procedure
  1. Tamia suggested that we use Re1’s Policy regarding grievances.
  2. Question: how do we make our community aware of the grievance policy/procedure?
  3. Board Development: review grievance policy/procedure and develop a plan for communicating this with our Kiva Community.
  1. Re1 Documents
  1. Kiva annual report, contract, and charter handbook (provided by Carol Mehesy via email to the BOD on October 17, 2018)
  1. All board members and administration have reviewed the above listed documents as submitted by Re1.
  1. UIP - steps to completion:
  1. Send a letter to parents notifying them of our accreditation status - completed on 09.28.18 via email by Susan Likes.
  2. Board present school’s data and improvement plan at board meeting - completed on 10.22.18 at a regular board meeting.
  3. SAC: Begin work on UIP and have draft to the district by November 15, 2018.
  4. SAC / HOS: Present UIP to Re1 Board in December.
  5. HOS / BOD: Submit to CDE by January 15, 2019.
  1. Annual Compliance Assurances - (forwarded to all board members on October 22, 2018, originally sent from Carol Mehesy on October 17, 2018 to Kelli)
  1. All: complete Annual Compliance Assurances assignments prior to a special board meeting on Friday, October 26, 2018 at 3:30 pm.
  1. Statute and Regulation - Kelli
  2. Safety and Discipline - Stacey / Alexia / Kelli
  3. Educational Accountability - Alexia
  4. Curriculum, Instruction, and Extra-Curricular Activities - Alexia will take to the staff meeting
  5. School Policies - Board Development Committee
  6. Exceptional Students - Alexia
  7. Finance - Urulu / Finance Committee
  1. School structure
  1. Alexia was able to get the ESS position filled.
  2. Alexia feels strongly that even though our budget is very thin, it is imperative to provide as much continuity as possible for the students.
  3. We need to take administrative duties off the teaching staff as their focus needs to shift to academic performance.
  1. Budget
  1. Staffing structure.
  2. Cayce: email Finance committee to set up a meeting prior to Friday, October 26, 2018.
  1. 2018-2019 Board, Committee, PTO
  1. Updated the document via Google Drive.
  2. Cayce: follow up with a potential Fundraising Committee Member.
  3. Kelli: follow up with a potential Finance Committee member.
  4. SAC: discuss the best meeting day / time to allow others to participate.

  1. Call to Order - Regular Meeting 7:00
  1. Kelli called the meeting to order at 7 pm.

  1. Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasure; Holley Christensen, Member; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member

Absent from BOD: None

Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD

Community Members: Carter Pape, Andrew Campo (CH BOD member), Angie Seeley

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Stacey

Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Kelli

  1. Approval of the Previous Minutes
  1. 09.24.18 - Regular Meeting
  2. 09.27.18 - Special Meeting
  3. 09.28.18 - Special Meeting
  4. 10.02.18 - Special Meeting
  5. 10.09.18 - Special Meeting
  6. 10.15.18 - Special Meeting

Stacey moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, Discussion: Melissa will abstain from voting.  No further discussion.  Motion approved unanimously by voting members.  Motion carried.

        

  1. Approval of Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda as presented.  Motion seconded.  No discussion.  All in favor of the motion.  Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. Carter Pape - Urulu stated in the last meeting that he would have the audit completed by last Thursday, including the MD&A.  Carter would like the board to speak to this task.
  2. Angie Seeley - expressed concern regarding our school, the ongoing building construction, and the building security.  She appreciates the Kiva newsletter that was distributed and asked that the board include building updates on a weekly basis.

  1. Staff Comments
  1. No additional staff present.

  1. Reports:

  1. BOD President
  1. Annual Review of Charter by Re1 (submitted via email)
  1. All board members have reviewed the Annual Review of Charter by Re1.
  2. Kelli: sign and submit to Re1 the ‘Acknowledge of Accreditation and Annual Report October 1, 2018’.
  1. Update Committee List
  1. Completed during the work session.

  1. Financial Committee - Cayce
  1. Report

  1. Interim Head of School - Alexia
  1. Report, verbal
  1. Alexia is working with our staff and the district to bring everything up to speed and in compliance.
  2. Linda Whitehead will be providing contracted services for ESS.
  3. Alexia will focus on safety at the next staff meetings.
  4. Sue, with health services, will be providing a training to all staff at 7:15 am on Tuesday, October 23, 2018.
  1. MOU - IHOS / BOD
  1. All board members have reviewed the MOU - IHOS / BOD.
  2. Stacey moved to approve the MOU between our temporary IHOS and the BOD.  Motion seconded.  No discussion.  All in favor. Motion carried.
  3. Kelli, Andrew, Alexia: sign the MOU - IHOS / BOD.
  4. Tamia: scan, upload, and file the MOU - IHOS / BOD.

  1. Finance Director - Urulu
  1. Report, verbal
  1. Audit - Urulu reports that it is 95 percent complete.  If everything goes well, it should be complete by tomorrow.  He will call Carla with Re1 tomorrow to make sure everything is ready to go.
  2. Kelli reported on two items that need to be finalized concerning the audit: (1) MD&A, (2) Independent auditor's opinion, which will be rendered after the audit is complete.
  3. Urulu recommended hiring a local auditor to save money and provide quicker feedback.  The district will provide a few names for Urulu to consider.
  1. Urulu: provide names and costs of local auditors to the Finance Committee.
  1. We will need to hold a special board meeting to approve the audit.
  1. Updated Budget with October Count - Postponed until next committee meeting.

  1. Hiring and Evaluation Committee - Cayce
  1. Report
  2. Ongoing evaluation efforts
  1. As a board, we need to be evaluating our two employees: HOS (or IHOS) and FD.  We need them to set goals with measurable accountability.

  1. Building & Location Committee - Stacey
  1. Report, verbal
  1. Considering moving the Middle School into one of the previously designated Upper El rooms.  This will allow the ‘reception area’ to be  completely closed off for construction.
  2. The kitchen was not originally part of Phase 1, but they might be able to complete it.  This will provide access to a fridge, dishwasher, and washer and dryer.
  3. Construction crews continue to fight with the glass blocks; clips were supposed to arrive today.
  1. Zircons
  1. We are spending money every month on the rental of the zircons and a storage until.  We could move everything into the basement of school to save on this cost.
  2. Discussion: pay for help vs. volunteers.  Melissa volunteered to organize a group of volunteers to move everything into the school’s basement.
  3. Melissa: organize the move of all storage items to the basement of the school.
  1. Reach out to our community via Kiva Konnect (Mr. Morgan) and Just Serve (Erin Tanner).
  1. Urulu: email Kelli the specifics (cost, billing date, location) on our storage units.

  1. Fundraising Committee - Alexia
  1. Report - no report
  1. No one currently sits on this committee besides Alexia and therefore, no meeting has been held.
  2. Upcoming fundraiser on Thursday, October 25, 2018.
  1. Annual Appeal
  1. Needs to be started ASAP.

  1. SAC - Alexia
  1. Report
  1. John Whitehead is the chair of SAC.
  2. Lyndi Spears will provide a Montessori math training for teachers at Children’s House.
  3. Next meeting is on November 6th.
  1. Status of UIP
  1. The CDE/CLC is offering a UIP training in Denver on November 12, 2018, cost of $75.  Alexia would like to attend if possible.

  1. Board Development Committee - Tamia
  1. Report
  2. Onboarding of New Board Members: Jordan Meyers, Melissa Gould, and Holley Christensen
  1. Oath of Office - Jordan, Melissa, and Holley took the Oath of Office as read by Kelli, Board President.
  2. Board Agreement - Jordan, Melissa, and Holley all signed.
  3. Conflict of Interest - Jordan, Melissa, and Holley all signed.
  4. Tamia: scan and file the Board Agreement and Conflict of Interest documents.
  1. Bylaws
  1. A set of bylaws have been placed in the Board Packet - E/M S on the Drive for review, suggestions, edits, etc.  Please track all edits.
  1. Attendance at Staff Meetings
  1. The staff have asked that a board member attend their staff meetings at 1:45 pm on Wednesdays for the first 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. Melissa: attend staff meeting on 10.24.18.
  3. Tamia: develop a calendar for rotation of staff meetings.

  1. BOD Report to Kiva Kids Newsletter or Community
  1. Kelli: submit to Morgan a need for Fundraising Committee and SAC members.
  2. Stacey: submit to Morgan a building report, including fire safety walk throughs, plans for Phase 1, and hold up on glass blocks.

  1. Shared Board Information
  1. Children’s House - Andrew, CH BOD President, expressed support for E/M S by sharing Children's House greatest resource: Alexia.
  2. E/M S -  Appreciates the support they are receiving from Children’s House.

  1. Master Calendar
  1. November
  1. Star Testing Review (moved from October)
  2. PD Plan to BOD (HOS)
  3. Annual Appeal (HOS)
  4. Presentation on Final Current Year Budget (FD)
  5. Auditor Presentation of Audit/990 (FD)
  6. Stone Soup / Gallery (Staff)
  7. Approve UIP (SAC)
  1. December
  1. Approve UIP (HOS / BOD)
  2. Register for CLC (FD)
  3. Review Mid Year Date (Staff)
  4. Mid Year Reporting to Parents (Staff)
  5. Mid Year Notes home to Parents (Staff)

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. Angie Seeley - commented that she hears rumors and therefore feels that communications aren’t open about staff members leaving, building security, and other items.  She would like to see updates sent to the community every single week.

  1. New Business
  1. None

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s) – BOD President
  1. Next work session
  1. Presentation of audit and development of 990 (approximately 1 hour)
  1. Urulu: coordinate with Lori Hendrick to present to our board on 11.26.18 at 5:30 pm.
  1. Review Budget, if time allows (30 minutes)
  1. Master Calendar
  1. November, incorporated into the agenda
  2. December
  3. January
  1. Annual Compliance Assurances

  1. Calendaring
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Fundraising Event: Our Magical MoCo - Family Fun Night, October 25th at 5 pm at 601 N Mildred
  2. Stone Soup, November
  1. Next BOD meeting(s)
  1. Children’s House Board meeting - 5 pm (Work Session), 5:30 pm (Regular Meeting) on Monday, November 12, 2018 at 1204 E Empire
  2. Regular Board Meeting - 5:30 pm (Work Session), 7 pm (Regular Meeting) on Monday, November 26, 2018 at 601 N Mildred
  3. Special Board Meeting - Friday, October 26th at 3:30 pm at Children's House
  1. Annual Compliances Assurance
  2. Finance Committee
  1. Budget
  2. Audit

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items - Tamia
  1. Stacey: provide the board with an email address for Crow Canyon. (09.28.18)
  2. Urulu: finalize MD&A by Friday, October 12, 2018. (10.09.18)
  3. Cayce: provide responses to all inquiries we received regarding IHOS proposal. (10.05.18)
  4. Cayce: draft a letter to reach out to former families. (10.05.18)

  1. Review all Action Items - Tamia
  1. Next Montessori Moment: Kelli
  2. Board Development: review grievance policy/procedure and develop a plan for communicating this with our Kiva Community.
  3. SAC: Begin work on UIP and have draft to the district by November 15, 2018.
  4. SAC / HOS: Present UIP to Re1 Board in December.
  5. HOS / BOD: Submit to CDE by January 15, 2019.
  6. All: complete Annual Compliance Assurances assignments prior to a special board meeting on Friday, October 26, 2018 at 3:30 pm.
  1. Statute and Regulation - Kelli
  2. Safety and Discipline - Stacey / Alexia / Kelli
  3. Educational Accountability - Alexia
  4. Curriculum, Instruction, and Extra-Curricular Activities - Alexia will take to the staff meeting
  5. School Policies - Board Development Committee
  6. Exceptional Students - Alexia
  7. Finance - Urulu / Finance Committee
  1. Cayce: email Finance committee to set up a meeting prior to Friday, October 26, 2018.
  2. Cayce: follow up with a potential Fundraising Committee Member.
  3. Kelli: follow up with a potential Finance Committee member.
  4. SAC: discuss the best meeting day / time to allow others to participate.
  5. Kelli: sign and submit to Re1 the ‘Acknowledge of Accreditation and Annual Report October 1, 2018’.
  6. Kelli, Andrew, Alexia: sign the MOU - IHOS / BOD.
  7. Tamia: scan, upload, and file the MOU - IHOS / BOD.
  8. Urulu: provide names and costs of local auditors to the Finance Committee.
  9. Melissa: organize the move of all storage items to the basement of the school.
  10. Urulu: email Kelli the specifics (cost, billing date, location) on our storage units.
  11. Tamia: scan and file the Board Agreement and Conflict of Interest documents.
  12. Melissa: attend staff meeting on 10.24.18.
  13. Tamia: develop a calendar for rotation of staff meetings.
  14. Kelli: submit to Morgan a need for Fundraising Committee and SAC members.
  15. Stacey: submit to Morgan a building report, including fire safety walk throughs, plans for Phase 1, and hold up on glass blocks.
  16. Urulu: coordinate with Lori Hendrick to present to our board on 11.26.18 at 5:30 pm.

  1. Adjournment: Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 8:05 pm.

Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of