Cristina for Texas - Communications Director
Cristina Tzintzún Ramirez’s campaign for U.S. Senate is hiring a communications director.
Our campaign’s most important advantage is Cristina’s compelling progressive message. Our pathway to victory depends on breaking through the noise of the Democratic presidential primary and introducing Democratic primary voters and small-dollar donors to Cristina.
Your job will be to deliver Cristina’s message to leverage traditional and digital media to deliver Cristina’s message to as many Texas Democratic primary voters as possible.
This position is based in Austin, Texas and starts as soon as possible.
You will join the campaign’s senior leadership team in a key strategic role. We will expect you to develop the campaign’s communications strategy and be fully responsible for delivering on all communications projects.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead the campaign’s communications team as it develops and grows
- Act as a spokesperson for the campaign
- Review and approve digital content produced by the campaign’s digital team
- Develop and execute plans to pitch national and Texas media on covering the election and Cristina’s candidacy, including booking Cristina and campaign surrogates for TV, radio and podcasts
- Respond to all press inquiries as well as seeking, building, and maintaining relationships with key state and national reporters
- Manage the campaign’s social media accounts and produce content to post each day
- Write talking points and compile background information in order to prepare Cristina and campaign surrogates for interviews
- Carefully monitor social media and reporting on the election as well tracking national headlines – especially the Democratic presidential primary – for issues that are likely to affect the Texas senate race
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteer teams to assist with the above tasks – our campaign believes in and invests in volunteer leadership, and you should expect volunteers to play an essential role in your work
- Staff Cristina or campaign surrogates at events (this may require extensive travel)
- Do whatever else it takes to win – this role will change and evolve over time, and you’ll need to be flexible and willing to take on the work we need to do to win
The person hired into this role will need to be able to work independently on aggressive deadlines; identify and seize strategic opportunities; churn out impeccably-written communications materials that don’t require extensive editing or review; use excellent, independent judgement in every area of their work; and bring a figure-it-out attitude to their work.
Some skills, experience and attitudes we value include:
- Excellent, disciplined verbal communication, especially written communication
- In-depth knowledge of key progressive policy issues
- Familiarity with the Texas, national, and progressive media landscapes
- Past experience, whether in a volunteer or staff role, on a political campaign, especially on the campaign’s communications and/or digital team
- Past experience in any communications or digital job
- Creativity and artistic vision
- Experience with video editing and/or graphic design software
- A not-about-me attitude and willingness to pitch in on any project at any time in order to help Cristina win
- Enthusiasm for using and learning to use productivity and remote work software like Slack, Zoom and Google Apps
- Enthusiasm for hard work, long hours, and making the personal sacrifices it takes to be successful on an electoral campaign
Salary for this position ranges from $5,500 - $7,000/month, commensurate with experience.
How to apply
To apply, fill out this form: https://forms.gle/6UZpJfTRsA18FtDG7