9PM October 11, 2018 UFT Solidarity Contract discussion uftcontract.com
- Local instead of Step 2 at Office of Labor Relations (OLR)
- OLR was a Kangaroo Court where over 93% of grievances were denied. Process proposed keeps it local to school.
- Will this consultation committee avenue have a paper trail?
- What happens if principal denies and then superintendent denies? Arbitration an option?
- All grievances go through consultation or just building?
- Not happy about the lack of raises. Still very below livable wage.
- Longevity - One time? Matches teacher 5, 10, 15, 20? Not clear.
- $36,000 salary para will see approximately $27 increase per check. Not enough.
- Principals are over extending para grouping for up to three similar IEP students.
- Will they backtrack longevity?
- A bit higher than the pattern bargaining set by DC 37 union, BUT if you factor extension for parental leave and other extension we have zero months with no raises.
- From ICE UFT blog
Dates Salary Increases
- October 31, 2018 - Feb13, 2019 (3.5 months) 0% *
- Feb 14, 2019 -Feb 13, 2020 2%
- Feb 14, 2020 - May 13, 2020 (3 months) 0%
- May 14, 2020 - May 13, 2021 2.5%
- May 14, 2021 - May 13, 2022 3%
- May 14, 2022 - Sept 13, 2022 (4 Months) 0%
- 7.5% compounded will be a little more. The increases amount to about 1.94% annually.
- Option - leave this union and shop for another - Marie
- Temporary dues withholding for leverage?
- Members think they will lose benefits like vision, dental etc. if they do not pay dues.
- Para Chair stated that if you do not pay dues, they will not answer. Mara Mary T. Leone, terminated by abusive principal doesn't get calls any
- Article 19D states a small window to opt out of union.
19D. Exclusive Check-Off
“The Board will honor, in accordance with their terms, only such written authorizations as are properly executed by employees in the unit covered by this Agreement for the deduction of their dues in behalf of the Union.
The Board will honor individual written authorizations for the deduction of Union dues in accordance with their terms, including authorizations stating that they are irrevocable until the following June 30 and automatically renewable for another year unless written notice is given to the Board between June 15 and June 30.
- Proposed Chapter Leader have access to school’s Online Occurrence Reporting System (OORS)
- Air quality for old buildings is a problem.
- Safety committee has to have teeth in building
- Class Size max has not been changed. Only time limit to fix current max numbers.
- Healthcare savings
- New teachers would use HIPP. Piloting new program.
- City Municipal unions get together to decide on healthcare.
WHAT IS NEXT?
Continue speaking to members, social media, leaflets….Vote No. Contract falls short.
Postcards to every chapter leader?