Gateway Regional High School
GEOMETRY CP / 9TH & 10TH GRADE / PERIOD 2
856-848-8200 ext. 575
Google Classroom Code: crlany
Khan Academy Code: HXG2SX
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Algebra I - This course is a fast-paced course that allows students opportunities to take responsibility for learning. The Geometry curriculum is composed of the following major concepts or ‘Big Ideas’: (1) patterns and geometric figures; (2) inductive/deductive reasoning; (3) measurement in the plane; (4) reasoning with triangles; (5) circles; (6) trigonometry and right triangles; (7) measurement in space; and (8) transformations, coordinates, and vectors. While knowledge of content is being developed, students are engaged in hands-on and cooperative activities that encourage mathematical reasoning, problem solving, communicating, and making connections. Through these activities students utilize technology such as graphing calculators, computers, and calculator-based lab equipment. In addition, they are encouraged to think more critically through activities that involve investigations, explorations, and discovery. Finally, evaluation appears in several formats: tests, performance tasks, and long- and short-term projects.
Course Expectations and Assessments
- Google Maps Project
- Any & all assessments (including an end of the marking period benchmark) for the lessons between sections 1.2-2.5
- Popsicle Bridge Project
- Any & all assessments (including an end of the marking period benchmark) for the lessons between sections 3.1–3.4, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 9.1-9.3, & 9.6
- Any & all assessments (including an end of the marking period benchmark) for the lessons between sections 4.1–4.3, 7.1-7.3, 8.1-8.4, 10.6, 10.7, & 12.1-12.3
- Any & all assessments (including an end of the marking period benchmark) for the lessons between sections 12.4, 12.5, 6.1, 6.2, 6.4, & 6.6
- Attendance Policy – Be On Time!
- Homework Policy - Homework will be assigned on a regular basis. All assignments will be listed on PowerSchool. Homework will receive a check mark if it is complete. Homework must be completed ON TIME to be eligible for a retest on a given assessment. *Note: 2 “freebie assignments” will be allowed per assessment; however, these assignments MUST be complete before retesting.
- Test Retake Policy - Students will be able to re-assess on tests only. Re-assessments will happen after school or during a study hall and must be taken BEFORE the next primary assessment is given. The higher of the two scores will be recorded.
- Grading Policy
- 60% - Primary Assessments - Benchmarks, Unit Tests, Major Projects/Performance Assessments
- 30% - Secondary Assessments - Quizzes, Minor Projects/Performance Assessments
- 10% - Supportive Assessments - Classwork Assignments
- Cell Phone/Chromebook Policy - Cell phones should be set on “silent” and all electronics should be invisible during class instruction, unless otherwise noted by Mrs. Flamini.
Required and Recommended Materials
- 1½ -inch 3-ring binder (for math only!)
- Scientific Calculator
- Extra help will be provided on an as-needed basis. Students may see Mrs. Flamini to arrange a time to meet.
- 1st Period
- B Lunch
- 7th Period
- After School - Thursdays until 3:30 pm
Classroom Behavioral Expectations and Rewards/Consequences
- Be Prompt - If you are late you will be expected to have a valid pass.
- Be Prepared - Students are to come to class each day with all necessary materials needed to participate in the activities of the day.
- Be Polite - Respect your teacher and fellow classmates. All persons in the classroom are to be treated with common courtesy and no words or actions intended to cause anyone harm will be tolerated.
- Be Positive - Leave all negative attitudes and profanity outside the classroom.
- Participate - Ask questions when you do not understand. Get involved in class discussions and group work
This class will be demanding, but rewarding! I will work very hard with you so that you can be successful! I look forward to sharing this rewarding experience with you! ~Mrs. Flamini