What Does The Research Say?
Social Reasons to Wear Uniforms
A safe, encouraging school environment is a much better place to learn than a school full of conflict and discipline problems. Proponents believe school uniforms can help make the school environment more student friendly.
- School uniforms level the playing field. When all students have to wear the same thing, none of them can brag about wearing the latest, most expensive fashions. Whether they're from the upper, middle or lower class, all students dress the same.
- School uniforms can also increase student safety. Even something as simple as a teacher being easily able to spot his/her students on a field trip is an important benefit of school uniforms.
- School uniforms make it easier on families to shop for school clothes. Uniforms are usually less expensive than other clothing, and not having to decide what to wear saves time.
- Uniforms can increase self-confidence when students don't feel pressured to wear certain types of clothing.
- School uniforms can foster school spirit. When students are wearing their uniforms, they are representing their school.
Academic Reasons to Wear Uniforms
School uniforms might also help students academically.
- Uniforms save teachers and administrators valuable time. Schools that have dress codes in place rather than uniform policies often struggle with gray areas: How short is too short? Is a shirt appropriate for school: Does it cross a line? Instead of dealing with more important, academic issues, administrators are left making judgment calls -- and calls home to parents to bring a change of clothing.
- School uniforms lessen distractions in the classroom. No one is sidetracked by someone's T-shirt message. Instead, students are concentrating on the work at hand.
- Schools that implement school uniform policies tend to experience a reduction in discipline referrals.
- Some studies have even shown an increase in academic test scores in schools that have implemented uniform policies.
*based on information from :http://classroom.synonym.com/ten-children-should-wear-uniforms-8231075.html