Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – September 12, 2018
Tom Vanderputten Jim Phillips Leonard Gustin Nick Christofeno Mike Beachy
Lee Troyer Wayne Andrews Keith Loutzenhiser Oliver Miller
- The minutes from August 8, 2018 were approved.
- Water temperature has dropped and fishing has improved.
- Wayne Rogers and Oliver Miller both reported catching rainbows last month.
- October is the start of deer season (bow). Both County Rd 43 and The Meadow are off limits.
- Fishing is open from the Well Field downstream to Riverbend Park.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report for July 2018. The total summary for all accounts was $ 26,587.13.
- LECTU received $ 150 from Dr. Burns
- TU National has changed its fiscal year. Therefore the LECTU report is due next month. Then another report will be due in six months. Thereafter the LECTU fiscal report to TU national will once again be due annually.
- Summer Newsletter is now ready and will be sent out after proofreading.
New County Park
- The dedication announcement was in the Goshen News.
- The park will be Corson County Park (named after Tom Corson founder of Coachman).
- Mike will contact Ronda DeCaire (Parks Director) regarding the Catch/Release request. The Parks Department needs to be the entity that makes the Catch/Request to the State of Indiana.
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
Summer Work Days
- Saturday September 15th is the last scheduled work day. Need to finish for the year.
- Trailer needs to be removed from the Meadow. Wayne Rogers will take the trailer to the Middlebury Police Department for an ID check, so that LECTU can proceed with licensing.
- Need to have video or pictures of volunteers at the work project to be submitted along with volunteer hours to TU National.
Project Work Trailer
- Bob Roth will customize the interior after Wayne has the trailer checked and licensed.
- Mike has not purchased the new equipment (chainsaw, log roller, etc.).
- The day of the event was very wet (raining).
- Nick reported that the program explaining the river restoration and maintenance was well received by the attendees.
- Keith and Leonard reported a lot of interest from the kids regarding fly tying.
- The recommendation for next year is for extra equipment and having the kids tying flies.
Middlebury Youth Fishing Contest
- The event was held on August 11th. Court Walker was attending for LECTU and will report at a future meeting since he was not attending today’s meeting.
Heartland (Indy) Fly Show
- LECTU received a reminder that the date will be January 19th and 20th. The set-up will be on Friday January 18th.
- LECTU will participate with a booth.
- Since this is the first show where LECTU sells tickets for the annual raffle and outing, we discussed changing the name from Adopt-a-Trout to something more general with the emphasis on the stream work and habitat restoration.
- Need to have raffle tickets for this show. The decision was made to feature a 9’ 5wt Helios Rod and Mirage Reel from Orvis as next year’s outing prize.
- LECTU received 4 outfits for youth programs (plus 3 from last year). TU has requested some promotional video or pictures with kids using the equipment.
- Keith reported that he had three kids with him at the Camp Amigo event and this would be a good promotional opportunity.
- TU has requested updated information on LECTU (facebook, Instagram, social media)
- Mike will review and respond to the request.
Boone and Crockett Club Wiskey:
- Request from Boone and Crockett to auction items at the annual outing. We decided to decline the request.
TU Headwaters Youth Program:
- TU has requested that the local chapters consider donating to this program in the form of a Youth Scholarship to cover the cost of the camp.
- LECTU will donate $ 1,000 for this program.
- Tom Enright from the Middlebury Parks has requested assistance from LECTU to remove the blockage and logjam at the Trestle Bridge at Krieder Park.
- LECTU will assist on a future date to be determined by Tom Enright.
- Lee Troyer will contact John Law of the Elkhart Conservation Club regarding the fall stocking of the Little Elkhart. In addition he will inquire about Ed Evans retirement plans.
- Leonard Gustin visited the Curtis Creek hatchery and talked with an employee regarding brown trout stocking. He will follow up with Larry Gouza.
- Jim Phillip also related a conversation he had with Larry Gouza regarding catch/release. His opposition to further catch/release has to do with stream access restrictions on the fishing public.
Next Meeting - October 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary