Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School – Board of Directors, Special Meeting
02.11.19 at 6:00 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 02.25.19
- Call to Order
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 6:02 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Jordan Meyers, Treasurer; Cayce Hamerschlag, Member; Melissa Gould, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Jon Orris, IHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD, Caitlin Monroe
Community Members: Lindrith Wall, Cara Wall, Crescent Rossiter, Ondrea Whited, Rebecca Milholland, Angie Seeley, Angel Morris, Haley Randall, Jesse Parks, Cassidy Parks
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Acknowledgement of staff and volunteers
- Building and Location - Stacey
- Update, verbal
- Cleaning continues at Mildred, but it is unlikely to be ready by Spring Break.
- Conditional Use Permit for Beech and Linden were approved by Planning and Zoning and will go to City Council on February 26, 2019.
- Lease, if applicable
- Tamia moved to approve the CKBC CKMS Lease Amendment 020819. Motion seconded. No discussion. Vote: Kelli - aye, Stacey - aye, Tamia - aye, Jordan - aye, Cayce - aye, Melissa - aye. Motion carried.
- Cayce moved to approve the Lease CKMS CCAC. Motion seconded. Kelli - aye, Stacey - aye, Tamia - aye, Jordan - aye, Cayce - aye, Melissa - aye. Motion carried.
- Status of Notice of Material Breach from RE-1 - December 13, 2018
- Facilities Stabilization
- We have not obtained a certificate of occupancy for the Mildred location.
- We can stay at Crow Canyon until Spring Break.
- We have submitted a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for Beech and Linden locations.
- Planning and Zoning approved CUP on February 5, 2019 and will go to City Council on February 26, 2019.
- Discussion of logistics of space, drop off / pick up, testing, lunches, etc.
- Facilities Sustainability
- Amended lease (currently written, but unsigned) will be submitted to RE-1 upon completion.
- CKBC has provided E/M S with a long-term financial plan.
- We sustained a loss of enrollment greater than 5 percent after December 12, 2018.
- We currently have 55 1st through 8ths graders and 21 Kindergartners.
- RE-1 requested 98 FTE Open Enrollment Requests, we currently have 68.3 FTE.
- It is not feasible to run our school next year on the current enrollment. We need 77 1st through 8th graders and 83 FTE in order to make our budget balance.
- The budget for 83 FTE is only relevant if the District will allow us to renegotiate our Contract number of 98 FTE.
- Discussion of the appeal process, options before us, rebuilding of the school through providing authentic Montessori educational environment for our students, challenge of recruitment of staff and students, budget, etc.
- Balance between being responsible with taxpayer dollars vs. loyalty to staff, students, and our community.
- Community Member Forum: Please note that issues concerning personnel matters need to follow the Communication Pathway and Grievance Procedure.
- Keep going.
- Our school is a great asset to our community.
- Some residence of Towaoc are still willing to submit District Open Enrollment Request forms and want to be involved. There is a recruiting opportunity for five families in Towaoc. Education is so important and the people of Towaoc need the support.
- Spring is a key time for recruiting and we hope the District will allow us to get to that point.
- 2 pieces: first, we need to let the District know that we can make it to May and second, our school is good for this community. Our community needs this, we need this, we don’t want another empty building here.
- Desire to hear from teachers on how they think the relocation and new locations will be tolerated by students.
- Can we re-negotiate with RE-1 to prove ourselves next year?
- If they truly want our students to achieve, they will allow us to move forward.
- No one knows our children better than us.
- The system is supposed to support us when we need support. We need support.
- The current parents are willing to continue forward.
- If we can just make it through this year, we are going to be okay.
- Discussion of our lawyer.
- Expressed concern for the students having to transition to a traditional setting and then begin testing.
- We all knew another move coming and therefore aren’t going to quit now.
- Our Montessori students are resilient and will shine through this transitions. They see the bigger picture.
- Extra efforts are being made at home to bring up academics.
- The reason we haven’t left, is not because of academics, but rather concern for the loss of confidence in the students. The abrupt adjustment could be devastating.
- We need to have good quality classrooms and teachers.
- Concerns of safety in new locations; especially two campuses.
- Everyone likes to cheer for the underdog.
- Appreciation for all the time the Board has put in.
- Next Steps regarding Notice of Material Breach from RE-1
- Jon / Stacey: provide detailed plans of both locations within the next two weeks.
- Finalize response to RE-1.
- Kelli: submit letter and attachments to RE-1 by February 13, 2019 (information has to be finalized by the 12th).
- BOD Report to Kiva Konnect Newsletter or Community
- E/M S Response to Notice of Material Breach 02.12.19.
- Community Member Forum
- No additional comments.
- New Business
- Approval of the Letter of Hire IHOS
- Stacey moved to approve the Letter of Hire for Jon Orris as IHOS. Motion seconded. No discussion. All approved. Motion carried.
- Upcoming Events
- RE-1 Board Meeting on February 19, 2019
- Next BOD meeting(s)
- E/M S Regular Board Meeting - 5:30 pm (Work Session), 7 pm (Regular Meeting) on Monday, February 25, 2019 at Children’s House
- Adjournment: Kelli moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:46 pm.
Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary