2023-24 GHMS Chromebook Policy
Good Hope Middle School understands the importance of technology on our school campus as a tool for students to use to further their education. As we continue to allow students to use Chromebooks on campus as well as bring them home for homework completion, Good Hope will be implementing the following policy to ensure that we are effectively using technology and ensuring that it is an investment that we can sustain long-term, eliminate students missing classroom time for computer related activities, and teaching responsible device management skills for our students.
Chromebooks are the property of Good Hope Middle School and Ouachita Parish School Board.
This means that you and your student understand the following:
- Emails, documents, pictures, and websites used on this Chromebook are under school authority, even if off campus. All student activity both on or off campus is monitored by a filtering service and consequences may result from misuse. This includes profile pictures for Google for Education accounts.
- Chromebooks are issued in good, working condition and are expected to be returned as such. Each Chromebook is the responsibility of the student and family and damage may result in a fee, up to and including the cost of replacement.
- Protective cases should never be removed from the Chromebook and no other paperwork/artwork/etc. should be inserted into the protective casing except for the student ID card. Removing this casing repeatedly without proper care will result in a damaged computer and students will be responsible for paying the cost, determined by repair.
- Students are provided with one Chromebook and one charger at the beginning of the year. If the charger is damaged, lost or stolen, misplaced, etc., it is the responsibility of the student/family to provide a replacement. They may be purchased from the school for $30.00 or from an online vendor. At the end of the year, students will be required to return one Chromebook and one charger.
- Students are expected to charge their Chromebooks at home before coming on campus. If charged at home, the Chromebook will maintain battery life for the school day. Students should not expect that they can charge their computers at school due to a limited number of outlets in the classrooms.
- The following websites or types of websites are not allowed on school-issued Chromebooks. If students use a method to go around school filtering, they will be subject to a one day out of school suspension for misuse of technology.
- Spotify or other streaming music websites
Chromebook Damage Policy
- Students will be provided with one Chromebook at the beginning of the year. If a student has a damaged, lost or stolen device, they will receive a second unit.
- Any student who has a damaged, lost or stolen second device will no longer have a Chromebook issued to them. They will need to check out a Chromebook from the library and return it at the end of the day.
- A parent conference (phone call or in person) must take place with the parents upon the damage of the first and second Chromebook as well as disciplinary action for the student before being allowed to check out a device from the library.
Accidental Damage vs. Negligence/Intentional Damage
Accidents do happen. There is a difference, however, between an accident and negligence or intentional damage. The price that the District paid for the Chromebook includes: the Chromebook and charger. After investigation by school administration, if the Chromebook is deemed to be intentionally or negligently damaged by the student, the student may be subject to discipline and/or the cost of repair or replacement.
Device Repair Policy
- Devices may be dropped off for repair in the library during the following times:
- Before school until the end of morning announcements
- During the students designated lunch period
Devices are repaired in the order that they are received and at the discretion of Mrs. Wilkes. Students should not stay for their fixed/replacement device. Library/office workers will deliver devices to the classroom when they are available. This ensures that we are respecting the classroom teachers’ teaching time as well as the librarian’s teaching time.
Forgotten Chromebook/Charger Policy
- Students are required to bring their charged Chromebook to school daily. If they do not bring their computer to school, they are not allowed to call home for it as the school does not accept deliveries.
- The school will not provide a Chromebook to use during the school day. Teachers will have a spare Chromebook in their classrooms to be used at their discretion.
- The school will not provide a charger to use during the school day. Please ensure that your student’s Chromebook is charged daily.
- Students who forget Chromebooks at home are subject to losing participation points for the day in all classes as well as missing points on any assignments at the teachers’ discretion.
- If a student habitually leaves their Chromebook at home, a parent conference will be scheduled and disciplinary action will be taken.