Lecturer III, Department of Writing and Language Studies
Coordinator for First-Year Writing Program and HS-College Transitions
Investigating teacher engagement and professionalism; transitional reading/writing
email@example.com . www.crosspol-journal.com . (956) 802-3732
PhD Technical Communication and Rhetoric (2017 - present), ABD
Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
MFA Creative Writing (2012)
University of Texas-Pan American, Edinburg, TX
BA History (2008)
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Generalist 4-8; English 9-12; ESL
- “(Dis)similarity and Identity: On Becoming Quasi-WPA (qWPA).” WPA Journal. (forthcoming) Fall 2020.
- “Light and the Quantum Physics of WPA Work.” chapter in forthcoming edited collection, in press Dec 2, 2019.
- “Piecemeal and Timeslices.” accepted at Goliad, publication date TBD.
- "A Review of Conceding Composition: A Crooked History of Composition's Institutional Fortunes." Enculturation.net, vol. 25, 5 Apr. 2018, enculturation.net/review-of-conceding-composition.
- “You’re Going to Need This For College,” In Drew M. Loewe & Cheryl E. Ball (Eds.), Bad Ideas About Writing. Morgantown, WV: Digital Publishing Institute. 2017.
- Copy editor for re-release of Three Eight Charlie by Jerri Mock, published by Pheonix Graphix
- “Have You SEEN a Mustard Seed?” Valley Christian Magazine. Aug. 2013.
- “The Struggle Between Our Heads and Our Hearts.” Valley Christian Magazine. June 2013.
- “5 Ways to Keep Your Students Awake This Year.” Blog. National Math + Science Initiative Blog. nms.org. 2012.
- “The Value of Being Really, Really Wrong.” Blog. National Math + Science Initiative Blog. nms.org. 2012..
- One Word. Columnist, (2004-2007)
- OnTheWay. Columnist, (2003-2004)
- OnTheBrink. Columnist, (2002-2003)
Awards, Honors, and Grants
- Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award (2017)
- ADVANCE Leadership Training (2016)
- “Writing Teacher Exchange” with Mark Noe. Graduate Program Grant. UTRGV, $3000 (2016)
- “Enhancing the Multimodal Experience in Writing Program Classrooms” with Shoney Flores, Marlene Galvan. Faculty Development Program Grant, Faculty Development Council. UTPA, $1350 (May 2014)
- “Light and the Quantum Physics of WPA Work.” With Manny Piña. Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies. Austin, TX. November 2019.
- “Quitting Out Loud: Emergent Genres, Material Publics, (Re)animating Circulation.” Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies. Austin, TX. November 2019.
- “On Becoming Quasi-WPA: (Dis)similarity and Identity, Or A Name of One’s Own.” Conference of Writing Program Administrators. Baltimore, MA. July 2019.
- “Quasi-WPA.” With Manny Piña and Jessie Borgman. Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies. Austin, TX. October 2018.
- “The Ecology of Fullness: Writing Program to Student.” With Marlene Galvan and Theresa Walsh. College Composition and Communication Conference. Kansas City, Missouri. March 2018.
- “Rhetorical Ecologies and Fractals.” With Marlene Galvan and Colin Charlton. Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies. El Paso, TX. October 2017.
- “Writing for Real This Time: Authenticity Through WID in FYC Sequence Design.” With Thomas De la Cruz, Marlene Galvan, Shoney Flores. College Composition and Communications Conference. Houston, TX. April 2016.
- Tin Stars SFRA Conference. Phoenix, AZ. Summer 2010.
Regional, State, and Local Presentations
- “ROTA Prep Session.” CTE, UTRGV. December 2019.
- “State of the Program.” Roundhouse, UTRGV. May 2019.
- “All My Secrets.” RHETx, UTRGV. November 2018.
- “ROTA Pep Talk and Advice Session.” CTE, UTRGV. October 2018.
- “State of the Program.” Roundhouse, UTRGV. May 2018.
- “Plenary on Teaching,” NEXUS. UTRGV. April 2018.
- “Writing Into Community.” RHETx, UTRGV. November 2017.
- “State of the Program.” Roundhouse, UTRGV. May 2017.
- “Graduate Teaching Assistant Panel: First Days of School.” Center for Teaching Excellence, UTRGV. August 2016.
- “Finding Our Why + State of the Program.” Roundhouse, UTRGV. May 2016.
- “CompoCon and Other Info.” Bluesky: Writing Program Pre-Semester Kick-Off, UTRGV. January 2016.
- “Introduction to Suspense Creative Writing.” Co-taught with Shoney Flores. Continuing Education, UTPA. February 2015.
- “Choose Your Own Pedagogical Adventure.” Ctrl-Alt-Del: Writing Program Pre-Semester Kick-Off, UTPA. January 2015.
- House Bill 5, various presentations and workshops (2014- )
- Page One faculty workshops, various (2013-2015)
- Bronc RoundUp: Page One Session (2013 and 2014)
- “Gravity.” FESTIBA, UTPA, 2013.
- “Writing the Graduate Thesis.” FESTIBA, UTPA, 2013.
- “A Night of Plays.” FESTIBA, UTPA, 2012.
- “MFA Thesis.” Panel, Texas Association of Creative Writing Teachers, 2013.
- Creative reading. Moderator, Texas Association of Creative Writing Teachers, 2013.
- “What’s College Like?: A Q&A with HS Freshmen.” IDEA Quest High School, Edinburg, TX. August 2015.
- “English Language Arts and Reading: The First Days of School.” Project PaCE, Region One ESC (August 2014, 2015)
- “The Rigorous English Classroom: Strategies for Teaching English and AP English (four-day workshop), National Math and Science Initiative (August 2013, 2014, 2015)
- “Classroom Management for Secondary Classrooms.” Project PaCE, Region One ESC. August 2015.
- “Getting Started With Research and the Benefits of Being Wrong.” Undergraduate Research Academy, Office of Undergraduate Research and Service Learning (June 2014, July 2014)
- “Finding Your Way as an Independent Scholar (Or, Working and Writing So Your Professor Knows You’re Not Plagiarizing).” Speakers Series, UTPA (October 2013, March 2014, November 2014, March 2015, March 2016).
- “English Language Arts and Reading: Teaching Well.” Project PaCE, Region One ESC. August 2013.
- Lecturer III, First-Year Composition, UTRGV (2018- )
- Lecturer II, First-Year Composition, UTRGV (2015-2018)
- Lecturer, First-Year Composition, UTPA (2012-2015)
- Teacher, Sharyland Independent School District (2009-2012)
- Consultant, National Math and Science Initiative (2012- )
- Consultant, Hollinger Education Consultants (2016- )
- English 3333-Technical Report Writing
- English 3342-Technical Communication (face-to-face, hybrid, online)
- English 3336/3351-Creative Writing I
- English 4336/4352-Advanced Fiction Writing Workshop
- English 4343-Composition Theory and Pedagogy
- English 0101-Introduction to College Reading and Writing
- English 0301/1301-Reading and Composition I Studio (Developmental Education)
- English 1301-Rhetoric and Composition I
- English 1302-Rhetoric and Composition II (face to face, hybrid, online)
- English 1320-Basic Writing
- English 1387-Rhetoric and Composition I Honors
- English 1388-Rhetoric and Composition II Honors
Service and Development
- First Year Experience (FYE) Committee (2018- )
- Core Coordinator for WLS (2015- )
- JumpStart Developmental Writing Program Curriculum Development. Co-developer. University College, UTPA/UTRGV, 2015.
- Page One Committee, Associate Coordinator (2012-2014)
- Search Committee for Three Year, One Year, and Adjunct Lecturer Appointments (2016- )
- Coordinator for First-Year Writing, Edinburg campus (2015- )
- Policies Committee, member (2015- )
- Annual Review Committee, member (2015- )
- GED Committee
- TExES/ExCET Committee, member (2012- )
- English 1302 Assessment Sub-Committee (2013- )
- MFA listserv owner: 100+ members (2013- )
- Creative Writing Program Committee, member (2012-2013)
- FESTIBA co-coordinator, English Department (2012-2015)
- English 1301-Rhetoric and Composition I Service Learning
- English 1302-Rhetoric and Composition II Self-Directed Learning
- English 3342-Technical Communication Online
Academic Community Service
- Career Day Presentation. Co-presented with Dr. Colin Charlton and Shoney Flores, Gonzalez Elementary School, 2013.
- Editor, crosspol: a journal of transitions (2013- )
- Web Editor, RiverSedge (2014)
- Global Leadership Summit, Satellite Site: Mission, TX. 2015.
- Blackboard Learn Training: Grade Center, 2015.
- “iT3 Innovative Teaching Through Transitions: A HS-IHE Symposium on Transitional Math and English.” UTPA Writing Program and Math Departments, 2014.
- “Working with Multilingual Writers” by Dr. Cristyn Elder. Presentation/discussion through UTPA Writing Program, 2014.
- “Threshold Concepts” by Dr. Linda Adler-Kassner. Presentation/discussion through UTPA Writing Program, 2014.
- “Gravity Presentation” by Dr. Doug Downs. Presentation/discussion through UTPA Writing Program, 2014.
- Certification in Web Design (Photoshop, HTML/CSS3, Dreamweaver). Continuing Education, UTPA, 2014.
- Gravity Series: weekly meeting for teaching and curriculum development for the Writing Program, UTPA/UTRGV (2012- )
- Soup’s On: monthly meeting for curriculum development for the Writing Program, UTPA/UTRGV (2012- )
First-Year Writing Program
- Roundhouse: a South Texas Writing Symposium
- Blue Sky: Professional Development Kick-Off
- Gravity, weekly practicum professional development for UTPA/UTRGV writing program instructors and TAs (2012- )
- RHETx English 1301 TED-style conference series (2015- )
- CompoCon I, II, III, IV English 1302 six-day conference series (2013- )
- Writing Teacher Exchange (2016- )
- OpenMic, Podcast Series (launches Fall 2017)
Website Design and Management