Homer School District 33C
SCHOOL CLOSING/DELAYED START GUIDELINES
Safety is a priority for all of our students and their families. Decisions regarding school closures will be based on the overall conditions of the entire District. The Superintendent is responsible for the decision as to when school is open or closed due to inclement weather or emergencies.
General Guidelines for Winter Related Issues:
- If the temperature reaches "double digit" (-10) degrees without wind chill factors, the District will strongly consider closing school or delaying the start time by one hour due to increased risk of exposure for students at the bus stops.
- If the temperature with wind chill reaches -25 degrees or below, the District will strongly consider closing school or delaying the start time by one hour due to the increased risk of exposure for students at the bus stops.
- The District Administration will generally make the decision to close by 5:30 a.m.
If the District opts to delay the start of school, school buses will pick your child up one hour later than usual. School will be in session as follows:
- Grades K-4: 10:05 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Grades 5-8: 8:48 a.m. to 2:10 p.m.
- Early Childhood/Little Learners: No AM session. The PM classes will be in session.
- OASIS: No morning program. Afternoon program will operate as usual.
- Students attending out-of-district programs: Bus pick-up times will be one hour later than usual.
Notifications will be issued as follows:
- Phone calls to households
- District Website (www.homerschools.org)
- Emergency Closing Center Website (www.EmergencyClosing.com)
- Radio Stations (WBBM 780 AM, & WGN 720 AM)
- District Twitter Account and Facebook Page
- If schools are closed, all school-related activities are cancelled.
- If schools are closed, OASIS is not in session.
- If school is delayed, no morning OASIS. Afternoon program will continue as usual.
- School Closing Related to Utility Issues: Please be advised that if power outages occur around the 5:30 a.m. notification time, notification of school closings might be anywhere from 5:30-6:45 a.m.