• Conmy, T. & Roman, S., (2019, March). Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Running DnD with Students. Panel Session presented at PAX East, Boston, MA
• Conmy, T (2019, January). Examining Using Tabletop Role-Playing Games in the Classroom. Poster Session presented at the Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, HI
• Conmy, T. (2017, February). In Defense of Teacher Wellbeing. Poster session presented at the Symposium on Engaged Scholarship, University of San Francisco, CA
Current Purpose Statement:
The purpose of my study is to explore the usage of non digital tabletop role-playing games as an instructional method. Specifically, the idea is to identify any correlations between student reported experiences playing tabletop games over a long period of time compared to teacher observations of student participants.
Applied Educational Statistics
- Learned to use STATA for data analysis
- Conducted a small survey, interpreted the data and presented findings
- Focused on knowledge involving different kinds of statistical tests such as: one-sample t test, two-sample t tests, one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA), repeated measures ANOVA, multiple regression, etc.
- Learned how to examine research articles for:
- types of research design, types of test statistics, error rate, statistical significance, practical importance, and how to meet the research design assumptions and interpret results
Research Methods in Ed
- Focused on interpreting quantitative and qualitative articles
- Looked for contradiction between across the parts of the articles
- Focused on correlational research
- Learned how to conduct simple and multiple regression, analysis of covariance, structural regression modeling, and hierarchical linear modeling
Educ & Psych Measurements
- Learned how to measure learning assessment such as reliability and validity
Psyc Founds of Edu
- Focused on different learning theories involving behaviorism and situated cognition
- Converted research work into poster session
- Focused on how learning occurs including long/short term memory and schema creation
- Practiced writing research critiques
- Learned different instructional strategies using mix-media
- Researched across multiple education databases seeking evidence to create a sample of the Literature Review section (Chapter 2) for my dissertation.
- Learned how to create instructional units based on using the Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation (ADDIE) model
- Focused on the theory of assessment and how to build assessment with learning goals in mind
Models of Teaching/Instruction
- Examined teaching styles and the trends from traditional instruction over the past 200 years
Special Topics: Program Evaluation
- Created a sample of work regarding the process of brainstorming, implementing and assessing academic programs in a K-12 classroom setting
Special Topics: Longitudinal Analysis
- Gained additional experience running data with SPSS
Made to Stick: Teaching with the Brain in Mind
- Reviewed current research on instructional practices for instructional development involving planning around empathy and human stories.
Dissertation Proposal Seminar
- Practical experience writing Chapters 1-4 of my dissertation
- Focused on different aspects of learning in regards to how a learner accepts information
Problem-, Project-, & Inquiry-based Learning
- Studied and assessed the above listed three styles of instructional design for appropriate implementation purposes.