School Council Minutes
Meeting, February 1, 2018
In Attendance: Carla Roberts, Hugo McCarthy, Luke Bartlett, Verna Hancock, Krissy Reardon, Tanya Jarvis-Sala, Janet Bartlett, Michelle Best, Sheri Hopkins, Lynette Samuelson
1. Welcome to new members and acceptance of minutes:
Verna moved to accept the minutes of the last school council meeting. Seconded by Janet. A warm welcome was extended to new council members Tanya Jarvis-Sala and Krissy Reardon.
2. Standing Business:
a) Principal’s Update:
- For the benefit of new members, Carla gave a short explanation of the school development process.
- Midterm exam period has been moving along without interruptions. The last day of exams will be tomorrow and teachers are busy getting corrections done and marks entered. Parent-teacher meetings will be held on February 22.
b) Fund Development Committee:
- Several meetings have been held by the committee to discuss fund development and look at a sustainable, long-term project, the goal of which will become a legacy fund for Prince of Wales Collegiate.
- Prince of Wales has an Archives Room which can be used to tap into alumni attachment to PWC as well as the nostalgia and history of the school. There are many PWC alumni social media pages which indicate that there are people who have a sentimental connection with the school. The 60th anniversary of PWC will happen in 2020 which could be a special event worth working towards in terms of raising funds.
- The terms of reference for the fund development committee are flexible but the goal is to have a long-term source of funds for school needs. The committee will do some research into how other schools have done this.
- Teachers are welcome to help out with this process when they can. A website will also be developed by the committee.
c) Prom/Safe Grad Committee update:
- Prom Committee this year is comprised of parents with a teacher representative. The last meeting was held in January and the committee is now in the process of getting quotes for a decorator for the Remax Centre. The committee is also looking at a sit-down meal. Students have voted on the meal type as well as the theme of prom.
- The Safe Grad concluded their 50/50 fundraiser before Christmas. Approximately $4000 was raised. The committee is hoping to continue raising funds with an upcoming bottle drive as well as through continued recycling efforts.
d) Student Council Update:
- The student council surveyed student opinions on school needs: desks & lockers, parking/potholes, technology, and sports were some areas of concern.
- The date for the ski trip to White Hills has not been determined.
- The date for the semi-formal is March 22.
3. New Business:
- Teacher Appreciation Lunch prepared by school council members will be held on March 12, PD day here at PWC.
- Carla is looking ahead to updating criteria for The Honor Roll and Principal’s List.
- Request to change the March 1 School Council meeting to March 8 approved.
Meeting adjourned at 5:40. Date of next meeting is March 8, 2018.