Cashmere Avenue Home and School
12 February 2018 7.00pm Staff room
Present: Vicki Chalmers, Tracy Mears, Anne-Maree Breen, Sonia Glen, Rachel Porteous, Jodie O’Doherty, Sue Morris
Apologies: Kate Christie
Minutes of the last meeting
Matters arising from last minutes
- Shade sail for swimming pool: Todd has advised that Easy Swim previously got an engineer in to investigate the possibility of a sail but the engineer had not recommended it because of the steep drive.
- Froozeballs fundraising: Committee decided against it.
Finance report (Sarah Polaschek)
Term Deposit $50,000 (matures 28 Feb 2018)
The term deposit expires on 24 February. As we don’t have sufficient funds in our account for the fair float without the term deposit we will not roll the term deposit over on 24 February. Instead we will wait until after the Fair and then decide on the amount that should be put on term deposit.
The end-of-year accounts for the AGM are completed.
School report (Anne Maree):
- Have started year well. Seniors are in classes of 25. Middles are in classes of 30 each, with help of extra teacher aides. Juniors at normal capacity. Two new entrants classes have started already with a new one starting shortly.
- Three new teachers across the school.
- Seniors gearing up for camp.
- Syndicate information evenings have been completed.
- Green team up and running again, collecting yoghurt suckies and sushi trays. Twenty children have volunteered already.
- Swimnastics is going well; the seniors will complete their sessions this week and the middles will start next week.
Principal’s report (Kate)
- Amazed at enthusiasm and drive to prepare this year’s fair.
- Teacher-only day just before the school year started. Whole staff and Board members come together to learn from Kathryn Burkett – an Educational Psychologist who specialises in the neuroscience that gives theory to the behaviour we see in children. In particular she spoke about how children develop resiliency by practising – that being in a state of tolerable stress with an attuned adult and a safe environment allows children to build this skill. There was plenty of positive feedback from her workshop and there were some thoughts banded around about making her talk available to our community, and Kathryn is keen to make herself available.
- Children seem settled in their new classes with positive feedback from parents too.
- Parent-teacher sessions coming up, focus is aspirations and goals they have (social, work habits, academic goals). Doing it this way as a result of feedback last year. Helps us understand how children make their way in the world.
- All schools are required to have a new strategic vision starting next year hence there will be consultation with the community in the latter part of the year.
- Re question about fundraising needs: the suggestion from the Board was to focus on the development of the children’s outdoor play environment. As part of this, the staff are still keen to have a new mural.
- Kathryn Burkett options: could come and talk at an event we organise. Could do a koha (with all money going to Kathryn) or could use it as a fundraiser (H&S would keep a portion of the takings). Suggested term 2 (Thursdays better for her.)
- Fundraising schedule and committee meeting schedule was discussed; see below for details.
- The school production will be in term 2.
- Tracy to draft a situations vacant advert for newsletter following the fair (AP).
Meeting closed at 7.30pm.
Next meeting: 26 March, 7.30pm.
cc CAS Office
Home and School committee 2018 meeting dates
Term and week
Food and drink roster
BOT meeting dates
31 Jan (fair)
12 February (plus fair)
26 February (fair only)
Term 1, week 1
Term 1, week 3
Term 1, week 5
5 March (fair only)
Term 1, week 6
Fair 11 March
Term 1, week 9
Term 2, week 2
Term 2, week 7
Term 3, week 3
Term 3, week 8
15 Oct (1st day back)
Term 4, week 1
Term 4, week 4
20 + 27 November
Term 4, week 9
Wed 31 January
Tue 6 Feb: Waitangi Day
Fri 30 Mar – Tue 3 Apr: Easter
Fri 13 April
Mon 30 April
Fri 1 Jun: Teacher’s only day
Mon 4 Jun: Queen’s Birthday
Fri 6 July
Mon 23 July
Fri 28 September
Mon 15 October
Fri 19 Oct: Teacher’s only day
Mon 22 Oct: Labour Day
Tue 18 December