FLASHPOINT ARTISTS INITIATIVE, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

Date:            November 16, 2019        

AGENDA/Minutes

“The mission of Flashpoint Artists Initiative is to encourage growth & development of a community that promotes artistic creativity and freedom of expression.”

Meeting Location: 6475 Jimmy Carter Blvd Ste 400, Norcross, GA 30071

Meeting Time:    1:00 pm–4:00 pm

Meeting called to order at 1:13 PM.

  1. TAKE ROLL
  1. Board members present: (Mary, Chad, Luis, Ryan, Dale)
  2. Officers present:_√__ (President – Mary Robb), _√_(Vice-President – Chad Jones), _√_(Treasurer – Daniel Draven), _√__(Secretary - Dale Lyles)
  3. Board-elect members present: _√__ Alyson, _√_ Chandini, _√_ Amariah
  4. Community members present:
  1. Cat McEachern (EC)
  2. Matt Wood
  3. Daniel Labrador
  4. HBomb Jensen
  5. Tom Conrad
  6. Samantha Weinstein (remote)
  7. Gracie Hansen
  8. Melissa Mullins
  9. Chas Nabi
  10. Daniel Goodridge
  1. APPROVAL OF PAST MINUTES
  1. Approved; unanimous
  1. RECORD OF BUSINESS TAKEN IN SESSION BY BOARD SINCE LAST MEETING
  1. Board retreat
  1. Venue
  2. Budget: $2700 (rental)
  3. Dec 6–8
  1. Approve new board members
  1. Board-elect signed code of conduct
  1. OLD BUSINESS
  1. President’s Report (Mary)
  1. Thank you for your productivity and respectfulness.
  1. Action Items from last month’s BOD Meeting (Date of Last Meeting)
  1. Contact Shelli [DALE]
  2. Year-round calendar
  1. Rebecca: point on gathering/herding info
  2. Daniel: info mgt
  3. Deadline? Dale: 30-day tasks; Cat: calendar format: SmartSheet; AirTable; FreeCamp; OpenProject
  1. Remind Stabler to remind Luis to get Board input afterburn report [LUIS]
  1. Report not ready; EC working
  2. ?Recommendation from EC as to timeline?: Cat: 60 days out; so mid-December
  3. Chad: Afterburn report has to feed into year-end/annual report
  1. Look at stated policy: burner restrictions —> restricted volunteering/leadership [board]
  1. Tabled for Retreat
  1. Respond to Cat/Rebecca
  1. Daniel: working with Cat/Rebecca to incorporate the flat committee structure into the EC
  1. Canvas print of burn for art auction [CHANDINI]
  1. Chandini talked to several photogs;
  2. Alyson: no rush until Art Dept/Art fundraiser lead chosen
  3. Cat: one photo already chosen for thank you card
  1. Board code of conduct [CHAD]: done
  1. Committee Updates
  1. Public Works Committee (RYAN )
  1. [tabled for retreat]
  2. Draven: EC reviewing concept of incorporating PWC into the year-round APW
  1. Event Committee (LUIS)
  1. Cat: extended wrap-up
  1. Swag
  2. Afterburn reports: 60% team leads completed; EC/Dept Leads munge them together
  3. Thank-you cards in progress
  4. High regards for leads, etc. who stepped up
  1. Communications Committee (CHAD)
  1. TechOps: keep with Comms
  1. Home Committee (LUIS)
  1. Actual reboot in January
  2. Charter update
  1. Conduct Committee (Liaison(s))
  1. CHAD: missed deadline for updated charter
  1. NEW BUSINESS
  1. 501(c)3 status
  1. Time elapsed for filing; still possible
  2. Benefit: $30,000 saving in taxes
  3. Melissa: contact for 501(c)3 matters
  4. CPA pulling together a report on pro/con
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Org: xxx                            
  2. Alchemy Event: xxx        
  3. Euphoria Event:   xxx
  4. Art Fundraiser Event:   xxx
  5. PWC:   xxx
  6. Money Market (Op Reserves): xxx
  7. Available Credit Line: xxx
  1. Public Comment
  1. Daniel/Hotsauce: Why name EL before new board coming on? Role of Event Director as project manager was insufficient; impression that board membership was bigger role than coming up through the ranks. Need more captain. Depts/Teams tended to be siloed; Cat and Chas provided social “glue”; EC needs a captain
  2. Melissa: first meeting, thought Cat was EL; he kept everything running and afloat
  3. Chas: Depts siloed; EL as project manager doesn’t provide the overview necessary
  4. Gracie: Cat stepped up; questions how  Draven will run the burn without experience; feels that input is being ignored; need to look at what our core values are and hold board/community accountable (e.g., growth: what does it look like if we value growth)
  5. HBomb: Team lead issues are due to “working up”; can’t have autonomy without experience;
  6. Hotsauce: e.g., placement of Gate
  7. Chas: take “blame” out of the equation; want hands-on EL; social capital,
  8. Cliff: can’t depend team leads to bring volunteers; cross-training on teams;
  9. Cat: we need to nurture/train leadership; presented flat committee structure in 2014/15: BOD selects dept leads, community liaison, board liaison
  1. ACTION ITEMS
  1. Charter template to Chandini [CHAD]
  2. Committee liaisons (choose) [ALYSON, CHANDINI, AMARIAH, LUIS, DALE]
  3. Ghini to explain how Google Drive/emails/Thundertix
  4. Conduct committee [CHAD, AMARIAH, DRAVEN]
  5. CPA report on 501(c)3 [DRAVEN]
  6. Thundertix credit [DRAVEN]
  7. Timeline/calendar for contract/permit [RETREAT]
  8. Define public time/etc for Board retreat [BOARD]
  1. ADJOURN
  1. Motion to Adjourn: Ryan
  2. Second: Chad
  3. Vote: unanimous
  4. Time: 4:03