Expectation of teachers
An RE Learn & Develop teacher is a dedicated professional who understands their role in terms of:
Safeguarding and Child protection
- The teacher is fully aware of their safeguarding and child protection responsibilities and RE Learn & Develop reporting procedures as described in the RE Learn & Develop Safeguarding Policy and associated protocols.
- The teacher participates fully in Safeguarding training and up to date background check procedures.
- The teacher carries out their designated duty.
Role Modeling RE Learn & Develop Values, Mission and Vision, respecting policies and procedures
- The teacher is an appropriate role model for all school values, the RE Learn & Develop motto, mission and our vision to produce “responsible outstanding citizens”.
- The teacher adheres to the highest ethical standards with respect to applying and interpreting school policies including academic honesty
- The teacher is punctual, honest and reliable treating all children and colleagues with respect as individuals.
- The teacher is aware of the rights of children as specified in the UNCRC
- The teacher speaks to children in an appropriate manner taking a positive attitude; rejecting racist or sexist language or stereotypes.
- The teacher dresses in a professional manner in line with the Dress Code Policy including safe, appropriate footwear.
Awareness of Local Culture and Second Language context
- The teacher has good emotional intelligence and intercultural awareness
- The teacher plans work in line with the school Language Policy in order to ensure second language learners are accommodated and encouraged.
- The teacher is sensitive to local culture and expectations with regard to language used and behaviour. This includes avoiding sarcasm or language which humiliates children.
Preparation, Classroom, and Teaching
- The teacher organises classroom/learning spaces and resources in order to facilitate learning.
- Lessons have structure and purpose and include a range of teaching methods (in line with the Teaching and Learning Policy) showing awareness of individual student needs, learning objectives and sharing success criteria.
- The teacher plans work which follows the agreed RE Learn & Develop curriculum and homework guidelines..
Pupil Assessment and Records:
- The teacher provides regular feedback appropriate to the age of the student , to improve student learning and inform their own curriculum planning. Work is returned to students in a timely manner. The teacher allows time in class for students to reflect on and respond to feedback.
- The teacher completes reporting processes accurately and punctually.
- The teacher maintains an up-to-date record of achievement and progress for all their students.
- The teacher effectively manages student behaviour in class using positive strategies, supporting school policies and initiatives.
- The teacher promotes punctuality and good attendance.
- The teacher can judge when and how to use school agreed rewards and sanctions effectively.
- The teacher provides a stimulating environment where children are encouraged to learn.
- The teacher recognises their pastoral role in all their work demonstrating an open and caring professional attitude that makes him/her approachable to children and colleagues.
- The teacher is aware of professional boundaries and does not have inappropriate social contact with children (see Safeguarding Policy)
Communication and Working Relationships:
- The teacher has good communication skills and is able to maintain a good working relationship with all members of the school community, especially when giving or receiving constructive criticism.
- The teacher is a reliable colleague and team member who carries out section and departmental responsibilities when required.
- The teacher communicates with parents and participates in parent conferences meeting reasonable demands for further individual parent appointments.
Professional Development and improvement:
- The teacher has an appropriate professional qualification in education, relevant to the subject they are teaching.
- The teacher contributes to and supports school initiatives, is receptive to new ideas and demonstrates a growth mindset.
- The teacher keeps up to date with their own professional development and participates fully in the PIMS (professional improvement management system).
- The teacher works towards functioning in both English and Spanish, as well as their ICT literacy.
School and Community Support:
- The teacher participates in the extra curricular programme, is supportive of school community events, and presents a positive image of the RE Learn & Develop.
If you would like to contact us to understand more about this Policy or wish to contact us concerning any matter relating to this policy, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us using our website communication forum.
Created: 13 January 2020
Updated: 3 February 2021
Review Date: June 2024