Position: High School Counselor
Reports to: High School Principal
The high school counselors at SkyView Academy work as team to ensure the success and growth of students in the following areas:
- Social/emotional health and wellbeing
- College planning
- Academic planning
- Event planning (graduation, awards ceremonies, orientation, informational meetings, etc…)
- Admissions and enrollment
- Support services (504, MTSS, ALP/GT)
With an approximate student-to-counselor ratio of 160:1, our counselors have a powerful and essential role in the lives of SkyView students. We are looking for an energetic and teachable counselor who is excited about our counseling model and desires to grow and develop their skills in our community.
Desired Qualifications and Attributes:
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in School Counseling (K-12), CDE license preferred but not required.
- Holistic approach to educating and counseling students.
- Possess the ability to collaborate with teachers/staff/team to meet the needs of students.
- Possess the ability to manage crisis assessment and intervention.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be patient and resilient in any and all circumstances.
- Must be able to multitask.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Willingness to ask questions, and consult team members on a regular basis.
- Willingness to grow with the position and needs of the school.
- Proficient with technology such as Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Publisher, Excel).
- Knowledge of MTSS/RTI, ALP/GT, 504 preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with Naviance preferred but not required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provides individual and group counseling to students which may include: academic concerns, behavioral issues, social concerns, and emotional support.
- Works with students on an individual basis regarding personal problems related to home and family relations, health, school, and emotional adjustments.
- Creates and updates confidential, accurate, and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Creates and maintains connections with parents/guardians, teachers, other counselors, and administrators regarding students' behavioral, academic, and other problems.
- Meets with parents/guardians to discuss their children's progress, to determine their priorities for their children, and to serve as a resource for understanding student development and behavior.
- Encourages students and/or parents to seek additional assistance from community providers when necessary.
- Advocates for students with parents, teachers, community resources, school administrators, and other governmental agencies using a working knowledge of human development.
- Serves as a resource within the building and school district that responds to academic/social and emotional needs of students including crisis intervention.
- Advocates for and assist in the planning, development, scheduling, enrolling, and implementation of programs that enhance a student’s educational experience, career & vocational opportunities, and social & emotional well-being.
- Advises and participates in the development and enhancement of a school-wide culture that promotes professional growth, cultural proficiency, and excellence in student learning.
- Specific responsibilities may include scheduling, workshops, parent meetings, event planning, crisis management, etc. Other duties as assigned
To learn more about SkyView Academy, visit our website: http://skyviewacademy.org/
SkyView prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.