Call for Research & Innovation Papers
SEMANTiCS 2020 EU
16th International Conference on Semantic Systems
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Deadline Extension: Important Dates
- Abstract Submission Deadline: April 18, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- New Abstract Submission Deadline: April 25, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- Paper Submission Deadline: April 25, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- New Paper Submission Deadline: May 8, 2020 (11:59 pm,Hawaii time)
- Notification of Acceptance: June 08, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- New Notification of Acceptance: June 12, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- Camera-Ready Paper: July 01, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- New Camera-Ready Deadline: July 13, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
- Video Upload: August 30, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
Submission via Easychair on https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=sem20eu#
Proceedings of SEMANTiCS 2020 EU will be published open access by Springer LNCS.
Research and Innovation Track
The Research and Innovation track at SEMANTiCS 2020 EU welcomes papers on novel scientific research and/or innovations relevant to the topics of the conference. Submissions must be original and must not have been submitted for publication elsewhere. Papers must follow the guidelines given in the author instructions, including references and optional appendices. Each submission will be reviewed by several PC members who will judge it based on its innovativeness, technical merits, and effectiveness at solving real problems.
Topics of Interest
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Web Semantics & Linked (Open) Data
- Enterprise Knowledge Graphs, Graph Data Management, and Deep Semantics
- Machine Learning & Deep Learning Techniques
- Semantic Information Management & Knowledge Integration
- Terminology, Thesaurus & Ontology Management
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
- Reasoning, Rules, and Policies
- Natural Language Processing
- Data Quality Management and Assurance
- Explainable Artificial Intelligence
- Semantics in Data Science
- Trust, Data Privacy, and Security with Semantic Technologies
- Economics of Data, Data Services, and Data Ecosystems
- Special Sub-Topic: Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage
- Special Sub-Topic: LegalTech
- Special Sub-Topic: Blockchain and Semantics
Author Guidelines and Submission
- The Research and Innovation Track welcomes long and short papers. Long papers should have a maximum length of 15 pages (including references) and short papers of 6 pages (including references).
- Submissions should follow the guidelines of the Springer LNCS format. Details are available here.
- Abstract submission for all papers is a strict requirement.
- All papers and abstracts have to be submitted electronically via Easychair: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=sem20eu#
- Submissions must be in English.
- Submissions are not anonymous.
- Accepted papers will be published by a well indexed open access publisher.
- To get the paper published in the proceedings at least one author of an accepted paper needs to register for the conference and pay the article processing charge. (We are currently setting up a fund to partially or - at best - completely subsidize the APC of Euro 300.- per paper.)
- The Research and Innovation Track will not accept papers that, at the time of submission, are under review or have already been published in or accepted for publication in a journal or another conference.
- Due to the cancellation of the on-site event, authors of accepted papers are expected to record a video of 5 - 10 minutes in which they present their paper. The video will be published on the conference’s YouTube channel and prominently referenced via the conference website and its social media channels. The video shall be uploaded to Easychair by August 30, 2020 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time).
Review and Evaluation Criteria
Each submission will be reviewed by several PC members. The reviewing process is single-blind. Papers submitted to this track will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Originality, novelty, and innovativeness
- Impact of results
- Soundness of the evaluation
- Proper comparison to related work
- Clarity and quality of writing
We are looking forward to your contribution!
Eva Blomqist, Linköping University & Paul Groth, University of Amsterdam
Research and Innovation Track Chairs
About the SEMANTiCS 2020 Conference
As it becomes more evident day by day, the COVID-19 pandemic is shaking up the conference calendars all over Europe. We expect the current situation and the corresponding restrictions on travel and social life to stay in place for a couple of months, obviously affecting our conference planned for September this year. Even if this crisis will be resolved by summer, most of the SEMANTiCS community might still be busy in autumn, dealing with the cancellations the pandemic caused in 2020.
As full virtualization of the conference is beyond our organizational and financial capabilities, the SEMANTiCS organizing committee decided to cancel the Poster & Demo Track, the Workshop & Tutorial Track as well as the Industry Track but keeps the Scientific Tracks open (including the special tracks).
This is to ensure a minimum level of continuity for the scientific community. All submissions will undergo high-quality reviews and accepted papers will be published open-access, in case a sufficient amount of high-quality papers gets accepted.
Besides the proceedings, authors of accepted papers will be asked to submit presentation videos (5-10 minutes) which will be collected on a web page together with a recorded welcome and introduction statements from the chairs. This shall replace the obligatory paper presentation and will contribute to a good documentation of the authors’ work.
Finally, SEMANTiCS will come back strong in 2021. We look forward to seeing you face-to-face on September 6-9, 2021 in Amsterdam.
Stay safe! Stay healthy!
Victor de Boer, Tassilo Pellegrini & Thomas Thurner
on behalf of the SEMANTiCS EU organizers.