MEDICAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
SCMAC has developed a special program for residents who are severely allergic to mosquito bites or have a documented medical condition that warrants increased treatment for mosquitoes.
To receive benefits from this program, a resident must obtain a Medical Certification (MedCert) Request Form by either contacting the office or going online. The form must be filled out completely and the resident must obtain a doctor's stamp or prescription slip confirming that severe allergies or special medical needs are present. These forms must be completed every year to ensure accurate information. Residents meeting SCMAC requirements will typically receive yard treatment when a ULV zone sweep is conducted in their township. Sometimes yard treatment will NOT be performed due to wet ground or mosquito outbreak situations that require a more community-wide mosquito control method. Residents who request treatment that requires the technician to drive off the designated driveway are required to sign a Liability Release Form. This form states that SCMAC and the County of Saginaw are not held responsible for damages associated with treatment off of the property owner's driveway.
Medical Certification (MedCert) Policies – Revised 2017
DEADLINE to Apply for Program is July 15th for current season
- Mosquito control staff must be allowed to access the property to conduct larval, adult mosquito, and disease surveillance anytime throughout the control season (April – October).
- The MedCert form must be filled out annually including either a doctor’s prescription slip with signature or a doctor’s stamp confirming that SEVERE allergies are present or special medical need exists. Original MedCert form (no photo copies, emails, or faxed copies are accepted) must be mailed or dropped off to SCMAC.
- SCMAC staff will visit the property and determine if the following eligibility requirements are met. Residence must meet all four items listed below to become a MedCert. If requirements are met, services will begin within 7-10 business days.
- Distance between the MedCert house and the next road behind or beside MedCert house must be greater than 300 feet (measured from curb). If distance is less than 300 feet, property is receiving adequate coverage during normal zone sweeps (under this guideline many urban properties would NOT be eligible to be a MedCert).
- Distance between the road, in front of the MedCert house, must be 75 feet or greater (measured from the edge of the road) to the nearest point of the house. If distance is less than 75 feet then property is receiving adequate coverage during normal zone sweeps and is NOT eligible to be a MedCert.
- Must have green reflectorized address sign at/by drive as described in Saginaw County House Numbering Ordinance (#113).
- SCMAC staff will evaluate MedCert property to determine the most effective and efficient application. Limits by SCMAC may be placed on the size of area sprayed or the time spent at each location.
- If man-made mosquito breeding sites are found on a MedCert property the following steps will be taken:
- A letter is sent to the resident advising them they are creating a mosquito problem and they have 10 business days to correct the problem.
- SCMAC will revisit the property to inspect for breeding. If breeding is found a second time (anytime throughout the control season) another letter is sent to the resident advising them they have 5 business days to correct the problem. No service will be given to the MedCert until next inspection visit.
- SCMAC will revisit the property to inspect for breeding. If breeding is found a third time (anytime throughout the control season) the MedCert property is immediately removed from the MedCert program for the remainder of the control season.
- Resident may reapply the following control season, but if breeding is again found on the property at any time, the MedCert property is immediately removed from the MedCert program for the remainder of the control season.
- If spray route is blocked, a letter is sent to the resident asking them to correct the problem. If route map is blocked three times during the season, resident will be removed from the MedCert program for the remainder of the year.
- Business properties are not eligible to be a MedCert unless it serves as a primary residence.
- Only one address per MedCert household is eligible for treatment.
- There are times when conditions warrant this program’s specialized services to be reduced or suspended due to high mosquito populations, weather, or wet ground conditions. Please be advised that spraying of your property is NOT guaranteed.
To best deliver community-wide mosquito control, it is the Director’s discretion whether treatment is provided from the driveway or road based on the above conditions
- All requests must be postmarked no later than July 15th of current year to be eligible for MedCert program. NO MedCert requests will be accepted after this date.
Copyright 2001-2018 Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission - (989) 755-5751