7 North Cottenet St, Irvington, NY 10533
Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) -- New York, NY 8/2012 – Present
Associate Professor – Visual Storytelling for Evolving Media
- Appointed as part of the “Faculty of the Future” initiative with the mandate of adopting creative technology and forging stronger connections with global creative industry.
- Supervise a team of faculty in writing of new curriculum to broaden the scope of the Illustration major to include an animation concentration.
- Designed six new creative technology labs integrating creative technology with traditional equipment.
- Write and teach courses in animation design and story, animation history and capstone thesis.
- Supervising FIT’s new CG Animation Certificate progam in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment.
- Founding Director #ChalkFIT. Supervise a collaboration of 60 student and faculty artists in creating a mural on 7th Avenue which now features augmented reality animation.
- Supervise the annual Graduating Students Exhibition. Re-created the content criteria to incorporate new creative technology and a wider range of media and subject matter.
- Co-Chair FIT 2020 Strategic Plan Think Tank. Managed a group of 30 faculty in developing 24 initiatives including research, industry collaborations and interdisciplinary curricula.
- Organize screenings and moderate panel discussions with guests including Mark Osborne (The Little Prince), Chris Prynoski (Titmouse) and Chris Butler (Paranorman).
Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME) -- New York, NY 1/2017 -- Present
Animation Industry Advisory Council Member
- Advise the Made in NY Animation Project which runs CG animation classes throughout NYC for 1,800 at risk and court involved youth. Funded by MOME and the NYC Department of Probation -- the program is designed to create opportunities for local students to pursue careers in animation.
- Board member of The Animation Project (TAP) which is contracted by MOME to run the Made in NY program. Supervise the expansion of the non-profit from $300,000 to $1.8 million annual revenue. Developing partnerships with NYC animation schools and studios to create educational and employment opportunities for the students.
Dan Shefelman Studio -- Irvington, NY1/1999 – Present
Designer / Director
Create, write and develop film, TV, print and online animation. Projects include animated features and series for MTV, Adult Swim, CNN, Blue Sky Studios and Cartoon Network. Other clients include ReelFX, Hornet, SXSW Interactive, Disney TV, NY State Division of Human Rights, Samsung, MAD Magazine, Rollman Entertainment, DQ Entertainment, L’Occitane, Optimum, VH1, Volkswagen, Tyco Toys, Purina and New York Life.
Digimax Studio -- Taipei, Taiwan 1/2009 – 12/2011
Director / Writer / Art Director
Co-wrote the script for an animated feature in development. Managed a team of 25 story artists, character and concept artists to create visual development, animation test and 90 minute story reel.
Cartoon Network / World Leaders – New York, NY 12/2008 – 12/2009
Storyboarded Venture Brothers and Robotomy series for Cartoon Network.
CNN -- Atlanta, GA 1/2008 – 1/2009
Creator / Writer / Director
Created, produced and directed Red and Blue – an animated political cartoon featured on the home page of CNNPolitics.com during the 2008 Presidential Election.
NYU Kanbar Institute of Film & Television -- New York, NY 8/2006 – 5/2010
Taught Animation Design and Storyboarding for film and animation majors.
Blue Sky Studios / Fox Animation – White Plains, NY 11/1999 – 9/2007
Writer / Senior Story Artist
Developed characters and story structure and drew storyboards for Blue Sky’s first feature Ice Age with director Chris Wedge. Co-wrote (with Carlos Saldanha) Gone Nutty. Storyboarded Robots and Ice Age: The Meltdown. Storyboarded Epic in development (formerly titled Leaf Men).
MTV Animation – New York, NY 3/1995 – 10/1999
Design Director / Story Artist
Storyboarded special creature effects sequences for MTV’s first theatrical feature, Joe’s Apartment. Visual development, storyboarding and layout for the first MTV animated feature Beavis and Butt-Head. Worked as a designer and story artist on The Head, Celebrity Deathmatch, Downtown and several development projects.
Jumbo Pictures / Nickelodeon – New York, NY 3/1990 – 3/1992
Supervised a team of 12 artists designing sets, props and characters for Nickelodeon's popular, award winning animated series, Doug.
New York Newsday -- New York, NY 5/1986 – 3/1992
Wrote and illustrated editorial cartoons satirizing New York City, US and World politics. Syndicated worldwide by Copley News Service. In 1990, created a business comic strip, Funny Money, which was syndicated by King Features in 50 newspapers nationwide.
- 2013 Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year. Published as title page.
- 2006 One Show Interactive Bronze Award for interactive Samsung Anyfilms.
- 2006 Art Directors Club merit award for Samsung Anyfilms.
- 2003 Oscar Nomination for Animated Short Film – Gone Nutty (co-writer).
- 2002 Oscar Nominated Animated Feature – Ice Age (Storyboards).
- 1999 ASIFA Award for Excellence in Humor – Jeffersons’ Starship Nick-at-Nite on-air promo (designer/director).
- 1999 ASIFA Hollywood Annie Award nomination for Jeffersons’ Starship.
- 1999 Promax Gold Award for Jeffersons’ Starship.