Program Manager/Summer Camp Director - Job Description
Reports to the Program Director
Duties: The Program Manager/Summer Camp Director is responsible for the planning and execution of summer camp, outdoor education and ropes course programming. The Program Manager/Summer Camp Director will assist the Program Director and other Camp Leadership in the overall administration of camp operations and execution of Camp Stevens Mission and Board policy, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Represents and aligns leadership practice with the mission and values of Camp Stevens through communication, actions and professionalism including but not limited to:
- Attends and actively participates in all staff and director meetings.
- Actively participates in and provides guidance for community events and intentional community development.
- Practices and upholds the standards outlined in Making Camp Stevens a Safe Place.
- Practices and upholds the current policies and procedures of the organization.
- Participates in collaborative work environment between departments.
- Demonstrates commitment to and practice of the interpersonal skills outlined in the staff handbook and staff training.
- Assists Program Director in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of resident intern staff, summer staff and counselors, and program volunteers.
- Assists Program Director with the training, mentoring and evaluation of resident intern staff, and program volunteers.
- Trains, mentors, supports, evaluates, and provides direct supervision to summer camp staff, summer counselors, and summer leadership team.
- Assists Program Director in creation of schedules for relevant staff and facility calendars.
- Trains, mentors, supports, and evaluates all staff who assist with climbing wall or ropes courses.
- Trains other staff to assume all responsibilities in the Program Manager’s absence.
- Ensures appropriate records are kept in Camp Brain, Google Suite, and other organizational systems including paper filing for summer camp, outdoor education, and ropes course programs.
- Assists with development of summer camp and program calendars.
- Ensures camp program procedures current with pertinent laws, American Camp Association, ACCT, and Health Department standards.
- Supports the creation of effective marketing materials such as brochures, flyers and newsletters.
- Assists in the development of the camp future visioning and the ongoing process of improving the operation, programs and facilities of the camp.
- Develops a working knowledge of the Program Director duties to be able to cover if needed.
- Works with food service staff to ensure outdoor education, summer camp, and ropes group dietary and meal needs are communicated.
- Assists in the dining hall during summer camp and outdoor education as needed.
- All staff share responsibility for dishwashing, cleaning and assisting with food preparation.
- Assists in planning, scheduling, and staffing of all non-summer programs.
- Plans, prepares, and executes all summer camp program.
- Supervises, plans, leads, and evaluates Outdoor Education Programs in collaboration with Program Director.
- Supervises, leads, administers, and develops program for climbing wall and ropes course programming.
- Ensures that all programming is in line with ACA, ACCT, legislative and regulatory guidelines.
- Assist in the overall administration, staff training, staffing, marketing, program development and evaluation of all programs offered by Camp Stevens.
- Responsible for camp program equipment and supplies including ordering, care of, use of and staff training in the use of all equipment and supplies, especially specialized equipment.
- Ensures high quality of care for campers, counselors, staff, and volunteer chaplains throughout the summer camp.
Facilities and Maintenance
- Inventories and reports damage/loss of any program-related supplies and equipment.
- Communicates needs, tasks, and concerns regarding upkeep of facilities and grounds including but not limited to lawns, landscaping, pool, minor improvement projects, and vehicles to the appropriate maintenance staff.
- Assists with minor maintenance, repairs, and housekeeping as needed and ensures proper use of tools and equipment by self and staff.
- Assists with the supervision of camp health care including nurses, first aid, medical supplies, and procedures.
- Assists Program Director with the ACA Accreditation process.
- Nurtures the body, mind and soul of the staff as well as building a positive staff community.
- Fill in for or assist other employees as necessary.
Salary is subject to Diocesan policy and annual review.
Housing, utilities, food and hospital/medical insurance is provided.
The normal workweek is 5 days per week except during the summer camp program when it is 6 days per week.
Additional personnel policies are to be followed as stated in the Camp Stevens Staff Handbook.
The Program Manager needs to be physically fit and able to hike 5 miles at a time over rough terrain, carry loads of up to 50 pounds, provide safety for the rigorous ropes course programs, feel relatively comfortable at heights of up to 50 feet. Clean driving record and ability to qualify to drive camp vehicles is preferred.
Employee Signature: _______________________________________________ Date: ____________
Hiring Director Signature: ___________________________________________ Date: ____________
C:\USERS\GABBY\DOWNLOADS\PROGRAM MANAGER 2017 (1).DOCX 12/14/18