Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - July 2, 2018
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
_ Kerri Patton _ Sara Verrillo __Courtney Volpe
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Eric Schmehl
- Events and Projects:
ANJEC Pollinator Grant:
How to increase participation?
- 2 additional workdays scheduled: Saturdays 7/21 & 7/28.
- Ideas to get more volunteers: get grant write-up, calls for volunteers & before & after photos featured in the Gazette; offer “learn & do” activity featuring Galloway Twp invasive species educational talk (Amy will contact); offer GC presentation @ HHS freshman orientation; Linda will talk to Leo Club President; Victory Bible Church volunteer corps; invite Town Council & Environmental Commission for visibility, photo op.
- Amy will invite other HGC members to Basecamp to improve communications.
- How to reach Scouts, Campfire Girls?
TENTATIVELY Sept 6, 6:30 pm at Canoe Club
- Response from Kramer (cost, reduced hours, not available the night we are seeking) led to have event at another location.
- Mica will reach out to Canoe Club.
- EOFLS & Garden Talk crossover about Monarch butterflies in August. Mica will show & tell monarchs she is raising this summer, & Flight of the Butterflies documentary on Netflix (~40-minute length).
- Garden $ can be used to purchase light snacks.
Plastic Bag Ban/Fee
- Statewide bag bill- no action
- Educational campaign needs to be stepped up BEFORE Town Council will consider town-wide bag bill; re-present to Council in 2019.
- Amy will get samples of Ventnor’s survey & petition
- Ed/ survey/ petition tables at 3rd Thursday, Green Day, Fringe Fest, Recycling Central, other?
Green Day 2018,
Sunday Sept 23
- Vendors are showing interest in attending, outreach efforts continue.
- Amy will update last year’s resolution to make sure Council recognizes it
- Still unsure about feasibility of beer garden
- Mica will create signage for HAC craft supply collection boxes; Amy/Linda will create the boxes .Amy- library, Mica- Casciano’s & Fermented, Jeanette - HAC, Kerri - Gym. Mica will add collection details to Facebook.
- Jeanette presented Firewise materials from her town. Mica will reach out to Dan/Jerry to determine where the town is in the process of Wildfire Planning actions.
Adopt a Road Cleanups
- Next cleanup scheduled for August 25 from 9:00-11:00 am. We’ll meet in the library parking lot.
- Next meeting Monday, August 6 at 7:00 pm in 3rd floor of Town Hall. This will occur in conjunction with the Sustainable Jersey planning meeting.
- Next Green Day Planning meeting will be Thursday, July 26th at NEXT DOOR?
2. Garden Update -
- Meeting & Garden Talk July 18th at 6:30 Medicinal Herbs with Susan Hess
- Meeting August 15 at 6:30
- Garden Talk: Hops & Beer w/ Eric Schmehl, August 29 at 6:30 pm
- Children’s Workshops have been posted on Facebook & GC website.
- Mica will reach out to Chef Matt re: late July/early August date.
- Thank you card to Ron’s Garden for donation has been mailed
3. Open Floor
- Mother’s Club Crayon Collection-- Mica will reach out to see who is in charge of Mother’s Club, how to partner groups in the future/ have 1-2 “liaisons” between 2 groups.