Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - July 2, 2018
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall

Green Committee Members:

X Jeanette DePiero  X Mica McCullough  X Amy Menzel   X Linda Esposito  
_ Kerri Patton      _ Sara Verrillo   __Courtney Volpe

Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Eric Schmehl

  1. Events and Projects:

PROJECT

STATUS/ACTIONS NEEDED:

ANJEC Pollinator Grant:

Review workdays

How to increase participation?

  • 2 additional workdays scheduled: Saturdays 7/21 & 7/28.
  • Ideas to get more volunteers: get grant write-up, calls for volunteers & before & after photos featured in the Gazette; offer “learn & do” activity featuring Galloway Twp invasive species educational talk (Amy will contact); offer GC presentation @ HHS freshman orientation; Linda will talk to Leo Club President; Victory Bible Church volunteer corps; invite Town Council & Environmental Commission for visibility, photo op.
  • Amy will invite other HGC members to Basecamp to improve communications.
  • How to reach Scouts, Campfire Girls?

EOFLS

TENTATIVELY Sept 6, 6:30 pm at Canoe Club

  • Response from Kramer (cost, reduced hours, not available the night we are seeking) led to have event at another location.
  • Mica will reach out to Canoe Club.
  • EOFLS & Garden Talk crossover about Monarch butterflies in August. Mica will show & tell monarchs she is raising this summer, & Flight of the Butterflies documentary on Netflix (~40-minute length).
  • Garden $ can be used to purchase light snacks.

Plastic Bag Ban/Fee

  • Statewide bag bill- no action
  • Educational campaign needs to be stepped up BEFORE Town Council will consider town-wide bag bill; re-present to Council in 2019.
  • Amy will get samples of Ventnor’s survey & petition
  • Ed/ survey/ petition tables at 3rd Thursday, Green Day, Fringe Fest, Recycling Central, other?

Sustainable Jersey

Green Day 2018,

Sunday Sept 23

12:00-4:00 pm

Lake Park

  • Vendors are showing interest in attending, outreach efforts continue.
  • Amy will update last year’s resolution to make sure Council recognizes it
  • Still unsure about feasibility of beer garden
  • Mica will create signage for HAC craft supply collection boxes; Amy/Linda will create the boxes .Amy- library, Mica- Casciano’s & Fermented, Jeanette - HAC, Kerri - Gym. Mica will add collection details to Facebook.

Sustainable Jersey

  • Jeanette presented Firewise materials from her town. Mica will reach out to Dan/Jerry to determine where the town is in the process of Wildfire Planning actions.

Adopt a Road Cleanups

  • Next cleanup scheduled for August 25 from 9:00-11:00 am. We’ll meet in the library parking lot.

        

2. Garden Update -

3. Open Floor