Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings
12.03.18 at 6:00 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 12.17.18
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Melissa Gould, Member (via phone); Jordan Meyers, Member (via phone)
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: Caitlin Munroe, Rebecca Milholand, Sherri Wright, Lori Haukeness, Rebecca Gardner, Angel Morris, Trena Yazzie, Ricky Lightfoot, Carol Mehesy, Jeremy Gardner
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Motion to Adopt Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Update on meeting with Re1 - Kelli
- Shared Kiva Community Update 12.03.18
- IHOS - Alexia
- Staff Comments: three minute time cap please. For discussion(s) that may take more time please email the board at email@example.com.
- Kristin Croker (via Caitlin) - staff only received this information today, so it is a lot to process. Currently we have good things that are happening and we finally have a stable home for our students. She doesn’t want to give up. Also, she is uncomfortable with the abruptness of it all and feels that the employees should be employed through January so they don’t have to seek employment during break or worry about it while trying to teach our students.
- Caitlin Munroe - has been a Montessorian in Cortez since 2013 and taught in the Montessori program at Manaugh. She expressed she is heart sick because the children deserve better. Staff has said since the beginning that we can’t grow so quickly and the Board and HOS did not heed their words. Students have to be the #1 priority - Re-1 has said “Kid’s First” - yet for our students, neither the break in January or March are adequate. However, transition over the break is probably better, but why not let the students finish the year and transition at summer like other children do. Would Re-1 consider letting our students complete the year? Testing issues will carry over into the district if we transition now.
- Community Member Forum: Community members may use this time to speak to the board; three minute time cap please. For discussion(s) that may take more time please email the board at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that issues concerning personnel matters need to follow the Communication Pathway and Grievance Procedure.
- Ricky Lightfoot - a longtime Kiva community member, mentioned that this board has dealt with a school leader and board members that have been misleading. He does not want to see the board give up. He believes in this board and this school.
- Rebecca Milholand - this program has been her daughter’s whole education. What is this going to look like for her moving forward? How are we going to know what to expect?
- Angel Morris - thanked the Board for all they have done. She has remained positive. If we surrender the Charter now, are we ever able to come back? What are we looking at to pull it together?
- Trena Yazzie - the Board has stated there are several options on the table - what are all the options? She would like more in writing from Re-1.
- Rebecca Milholand - agreed that all parents need to be informed of options.
- Ricky Lightfoot - recognizes the concerns are valid, but we were dealt such a bad hand with the prior school leader and board leaders. Plus, The Journal published so much negativity. He believes that a beautiful building in the park will bring people in. The budgets we had to submit to Re1 were restrictive and didn’t allow for potential donors to be considered.
- Rebecca Gardner - they brought their son to our program after the public school he was attending didn’t want to serve him. Through his experience in the program he has learned intrinsic motivation, which is a huge step for him. She is terrified for him to go back to public school. His teachers have taken time to get to know him, for which she is grateful.
- New Business
- No new business.
- BOD Report to Kiva Kids Newsletter or Community, if applicable
- Kiva Community Update 12.03.18 as presented by Kelli.
- Meeting minutes.
- Clear contact information for parents.
- Next Meeting(s)
- Wednesday, December 5, 2018 with a Work Session at 5:30 pm and a Special Board Meeting at 6:30 pm.
- Executive Session: CRS 24-6-402(4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of potential charter adviser contractual compensation.
- Recorded on Stacey’s IPhone.
- At 6:46 pm Cayce moved to enter into Executive Session pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of potential IHOS compensation. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried. Cayce stipulated that all current E/M S BOD members, Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS, Urulu Yazzie, FD, and Jon Orris (via phone) be in attendance with no other persons invited to attend.
- Cayce moved to exit out of Executive Session at 7:11 pm. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Note: no action was taken during the Executive Session.
- Adjournment - Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:17 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary