Suburban Acres Civic League
Minutes for General Meeting Held on: July 8, 2019
Prepared by: Peter Beznoska
Meeting called to order by Louis Gabriel, President, at 6:30 PM, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
1 new neighbor/first-time attendee was introduced
Community Resource Officer Report: Given by Officer William Old, Norfolk PD
- Vehicle larcenies down from last month
- Robbery at 7100 Galveston - $60 and and iphone taken
- Burglary at the 100 block of Granby Park - laptop, tablet and pistol taken
- Survey from the Chief’s office on nextdoor.com for neighbors to participate in.
- Less incidents at Harris Teeter than last month
- Officer Old has been running radar on Suburban Parkway at stop sign
Special Guest Speaker - Michael Brooks - Acting Chief, Norfolk Fire & Rescue
Chief Brooks ran the members and guests through a presentation outlining the plan for some renovation work at the Fire Station and Training Center on the corner of Thole and Granby. Highlights from the presentation include:
- Due to the lack of a tower training facility in Norfolk, the Norfolk Fire & Rescue trainees have had to be bussed to other cities to practice ladder and tower exercises.
- A new training tower will be completed that will allow 95% of the training needs of the department to be done at the new facility.
- The new building will be a high rise & technical rescue facility and will be 4 stories tall
- There will be no active burning at the facility.
- Savings expected to be the equivalent of a $75k salary per each training academy
- Training will be done in normal business hours during the week.
- Project should start in the fall of 2019 and take about 12 months.
- Proposal to completely renovate and replace Fire Station 9 was not approved for next cycle but will be resubmitted for 2022-2023.
- Funding for the tower project comes from VA Aid to Localities program from the State. Total cost = $1.1 million
- As a reminder to members, the Fire Department will come to homes and install 1 new smoke alarm per level of each home.
- Citizens can also stop by for tours of the Fire Station anytime during normal working hours.
Main Guest Speaker - Sherry Johnson - Division Head, Neighborhood Quality, City of Norfolk
Ms. Johnson briefed the members and guests on the functions of her department with the City of Norfolk and answered numerous questions. Ms. Johnson kept the presentation light and informal, yet provided helpful information on how members and guests can contribute to maintaining an orderly neighborhood. Topics covered included:
- Discussion of Norfolk Cares Center
- Breakdown of structure of neighborhood quality department - 15 inspectors divided by census tracts
- Detailed discussion of property next to wetlands across from Tinee Giant. What can be done to improve property
- Landscaping and Grass Codes - timeline from notice to enforcement from City is approximately 21 days.
- Fence repairs
- Commercial vehicle parking, parking on non-driveway areas
- Paper streets - city or homeowner responsibilities.
Treasurer: Treasurer not present
Membership: 3 renewal memberships at 4th of July parade
Neighborhood Watch: No Updates
Wards Corner Task Force: No Updates
- Honda of Norfolk accepts electronics, motor oil, anti-freeze, old tires for recycling.
- The Civic League urges members to sign up for nextdoor.com to stay connected to things happening in the neighborhood.
- Wards Corner Business Association meeting at Guads on July 9th - “Branding Wards Corner”
- Adopt-a-Spot scheduled for August 17th at 9AM
- Thank you to Carlos and Gabriel for bringing food to the meeting (Pizza)
- The Better Business Bureau is impressed with our community newsletter and wants to partner with us in some capacity.
- Next meeting is August 12th at Norfolk Collegiate.
- Louis Gabriel thanked all the Board Members and members who helped with logistics of the 4th of July parade.
- Karen Mayne presented a poster created by Mrs. D’ Luc from Suburban Park Elementary for our efforts in raising money for their class field trip to Nauticus
Old Business: None
New Business: None
MEETING ADJOURNED, 8:00 pm