Lakeport Cluster Association
Architectural Standards Committee Charter
The Lakeport Architectural Standards Committee shall work with the Board of Directors to create and update Lakeport architectural standards and serve as a resource for the Lakeport Board and owners regarding the standards.
- The Board shall appoint the chair of the Architectural Standards Committee.
- The chair shall serve as Lakeport’s liaison with Reston Association (RA) Covenants Staff and Design Review Board (DRB).
- A Board member shall be designated as the committee’s point of contact and serve as a member of the committee.
- The committee shall have at least two members, including the Board point of contact.
- The committee shall create and update Lakeport Cluster Standards to reflect current industry standards, provide alternatives to products and colors in earlier versions that are no longer available, and simplify home maintenance for Cluster owners.
- The committee shall monitor the evolving industry standards and architectural trends within Reston, using RA resources (including standards available online for other clusters) as well as other sources.
- The committee shall be familiar with Lakeport design standards and RA design guidelines and advise the Board and owners regarding questions about Lakeport standards. The RA covenants advisor for Lakeport should be the source for information about RA guidelines.
- When a new standard or an update to an existing one is needed, the committee shall
- Review the current cluster standard and examples from other clusters and consult with the Lakeport Board, RA’s designated Covenants Advisor for Lakeport, and other relevant RA staff about goals for the new/updated standard and for advice on how to proceed.
- Draft a DRB application, providing required information (e.g., reasons for the proposed changes and how the new proposal will address them, proposed language for the new standard, details about proposed products, and required photos of products proposed).
- Send the draft application to owners and survey them for their feedback, use their suggestions to update the application (including adding a copy of the survey sent to owners and elevation photos), obtain signatures of President or Vice President and two other Board officers, and submit to RA along with a copy of the current standard.
- If DRB board-level review is required, attend the DRB meeting and present the Cluster’s proposed revisions.
- After receiving the official letter from RA, update the approval date and make any needed changes, ask the webmaster to post the new standard on the web, have it announced to owners, and make sure the new standard gets posted to the RA site.
- The committee shall write content for Lakeport’s electronic newsletter and other community-wide communications about pending or recently approved standards.