Tairangi School Procedure Statement
TE REO MAORI - TIKANGA MAORI NAG 1 Curriculum
The following procedures will be in place:
- Liaise where appropriate with local Iwi (which will include primarily Te Whanau O Tairangi, Maraeroa Marae and Horouta Marae).
- Implement Te Reo Maori and Tikanga Maori in the school programme by:
- Teachers giving instruction and commands in Maori 5% of the time (a total of 15 minutes a day).
- Having Maori labels around the school.
- Having reading/whanau books and Te Reo Maori available in various levels in the school’s library stock and instructional reading inventory.
- Supplying Maori dictionaries and other relevant texts to each class.
- Having school powhiri/poroporoaki at relevant times during the year. This to follow the school protocol.
- By providing specialist teaching to Maori students who have an existing interest and strength in Te Reo Maori. Provision of specialist assistance will be derived from Maori funding allocated to the school annually.
- Developing a student Kapa Haka group at the school.
- Periodic professional development with skills of Maori staff.
File:maori1.doc Procedure Statement - Te Reo Maori - Tikanga Maori