General Body Meeting

02/17/19

8:00 PM | JMHH 370

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Budget
  4. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  2. PAVE Training
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  2. Upcoming University Council Meeting
  1. UA Report
  1. PSG Week
  2. Membership Update
  3. Member of the week
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs Board Meeting
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Outlet Audit
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Class Conflict Resolution
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Study Hall
  1. Communications

Budget



Reports


President’s Report

  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. Business Services
  1. This Friday, February 15, UA Cabinet met with Business Services to discuss the various initiatives that have been points of collaboration between us. We discussed feedback on the Penn Rides on Request app and how to improve functionality and get the word out to students. In addition, we discussed the functionality of the PennCard as it relates to SEPTA access capabilities and mobile integration, as well as the hurdles that would be associated with implementing those integrations. AVP for Business Services, Chris Brady, discussed how the chip systems work and why there would be difficulty in merging the technologies on the SEPTA end, and that we should continue the mobile integration with Information Systems and Computing as a part of their ongoing Identity and Access Management initiative. We also examined elements of Penn Dining, including where excess food waste goes and how waste is allocated. Finally, we attempted to identify elements of the dining plan that could be changed, which will prompt an ongoing conversation through focus groups as to the structure of the dining plan.
  1. PAVE Training - February 24
  1. The February step in the Anti-Violence Engagement Network (AVEN) is to undergo a Penn Anti-Violence Educators (PAVE) Training. The training will take place next Sunday, February 24 from 6-7:30pm in the VP 6th Floor Meeting Room (where GBM will be later that night). This training is mandatory for all members, and I will be more proactive about making sure everyone attends!

Vice-President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  1. This Tuesday, we will be convening for the third Steering meeting of the semester from 7:30-8:30PM at JMHH 365. We will be joined by Student Registration and Financial Services and then will be breaking into small groups.
  1. Upcoming University Council Meeting
  1. This Wednesday, we will be convening for University Council at 4:00PM. The meeting is an Open Forum meeting and will feature a presentation on Penn First Plus.

UA Report

  1. PSG Week
  1. PSG Week starts tomorrow! It is way for PSG to showcase what we do to the school. The NEC has organized a series of very exciting events for us and the student body to learn about student government, so be sure to attend and tell your friends. Below is a listing of the events for the week
  1. PSG Pop -Up
  1. Monday
  2. Locust Walk
  3. 12:00-3:00 PM
  1. Path to PSG
  1. Tuesday
  2. JMHH 245
  3. 7:00-8:30 PM
  1. UA SCUE Community Conversation
  1. Wednesday
  2. Hall of Flags
  3. 7:30 - 9:00 PM
  1. State of the School
  1. Thursday
  2. Hall of Flags
  3. 7:00 - 8:30 PM
  1. Membership Update
  1. This past week Maher Abdel-Samad and Sophie Lovering decided to resign from the UA. They hope to continue their work outside of the UA and would be happy to talk with any of you about your projects.
  1. Member of the week
  1. This week’s member of the member of the week is...

Secretary’s Report

  1. Penn Labs Board Meeting
  1. This past Friday, the Penn Labs Board convened to discuss Penn Labs current project progress, NGSS updates, development of PATH advisory group, and new project ideas. Please reach out to me if you have any questions regarding the details of this meeting!

Project Highlights


Dining, Housing, and Transit

Penn Outlet Audit

Authored by: Jesse Fox and Chase Serota

Recently, students have been complaining that many of the outlets on campus do not work—especially in Van Pelt. So, Chase and I met with the building manager to discuss how we could fix this issue before midterm season. After talking with Mr. Caputo for a few minutes and inspecting various locations around the Van Pelt basement, he let us know that he would have a team come by and inspect all the outlets in the basement and fix them accordingly. We also set up a monthly meeting with him, where we would check each floor of VP. Now, we can start exploring other places on campus in the meantime. Finally, after this is done, we would still like to explore the viability of outside outlets.


Completion Reports


Student and Campus  Life

Class Conflict Resolutions & Advocacy for Athletes

Authored by: Rob Klopf

 

The main goal of this project was to continue Jen Richards’ (UA College Representative) and SCUE’s work to create a systematic way to allow students with reasonable commitments outside of class to receive priority scheduling and lobby for a well outlined, tangible excused absence policy (previously for athletes, but expanded towards other student populations as well).  According to Rob Nelson, this initiative presents institutional barriers that have proven to be very difficult to overcome. As technology progresses and the NGSS system continues to be formed, this project will become more feasible in the future, but for now, this project will be put on hold until better infrastructure for identifying and resolving these conflicts is created.

Dining, Housing, and Transit

Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Study Hall

Authored by: Priya Bhirgoo

CBE Study Hall has been launched this semester! It is being held every Monday and Thursday from 7-9pm in Towne. There are 4 tutors who provide freshmen, sophomores and juniors help with CBE classes and they also get paid $15 per hour. 10 freshmen and 1 sophomore attended last Thursday and I hope to maintain attendance through regular email reminders. Hopefully, this program will prove to be a great resource to CBE students as well as contribute to building stronger bonds between upperclassmen and underclassmen.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. Armaun: SCUE
  2. Ryan : AM on EI
  3. Sarah: VP Finance CB
  4. Conor: DP Reporter
  5. Cameron: Penn Labs
  6. Alex: Mert
  7. Linda: SPEC
  8. Emily: SAC
  9. Bayley: SCUE
  10. Bryce: NEC
  1. Budget
  1. Natasha: No changed with SCUE.
  2. Jordan: Pro. We love to see a happy budget.
  3. Quinn: Pro. Second Jordan’s statement
  4. Natasha: No changes with NEC.
  5. Arjun: Pro. NEC Budget is fantastic.
  6. Michael: Pro. Had a great time with them this weekend.
  7. Natasha: No changes with SPEC budget.
  8. Ben: Pro. I trust Budget Committee’s recommendation.
  9. Kristen: Pro. They are okay with it.
  10. Natasha: No changes to SkimmerFest.
  11. Jess: Pro. It looks great.
  12. Mandi: Pro.
  13. Natasha: It is nice how it is but am open to amendments.
  14. Arjun: There is an amendment on the table.
  15. Maria: We propose an amendment to create a line-item for revenue with no change in the budget. A few of us got together to create this amendment, and this will just increase transparency.
  16. Natasha: Budget committee supports this amendment.
  17. Elena: Thanks for submitting this amendment. I would appreciate an explanation for the change in operations.
  18. Maria: $1000 is a base number for the variable revenue for Airport Shuttles.
  19. Chase: There is no actual change, but this just shows it on the budget.
  20. Jordan: Pro. Great for accountability.
  21. Arjun: Pro. After discussing with relevant parties, this makes sense.
  22. Brian: The amendment passes with a vote of 26-0-0.
  23. Natasha: No change to MERTs budget.
  24. Ben: Pro.
  25. Michael: Pro.
  26. Natasha: No change to Penn Labs.
  27. Jordan: Pro.
  28. Michael: Pro.
  29. Natasha: No change to SACs budget.
  30. Janice: Pro.
  31. Regan: Pro.
  32. Natasha: No changes in Class Board.
  33. Dante: Pro.
  34. Kristen: Where did the apparel line item go?
  35. Natasha: The amount was matched in the events fund.
  36. Sravya: I recommend having equal amounts to SkimmerFest.
  37. Natasha: This reflects the participation accurately, and Class Boards wanted this.
  38. Michael: I am happy we are endorsing non-alcoholic programming at Feb Club.
  39. Ben: Great job to Budget Committee.
  40. Emily: We are happy with this budget overall.
  41. Elena: Any left over money goes to SAC, correct?
  42. Natasha: Yes, and a small amount could go to UA Contingency.
  43. Brian: Pro/Con debate for overall budget.
  44. Simon: Pro. This has been a fantastic budget season. This has been the easiest budget I have ever seen.
  45. Jess: Pro. Great Job, Natasha.
  1. Open Forum
  1. Chase: I will be sitting with Kayla on DAB to discuss sustainability in Houston. Please let me know if you have things to bring up.
  2. Sravya: Nick and I sit on the PATH advisory board, and what we need from you guys is feedback from students at Yale and Brown. Please let us know.
  3. Regan: I am going to Brown for a weekend over spring break. I could ask some students while im there.
  4. Danny: This is a great initiative.
  5. Sravya: There are some features and will be releasing more as time goes on.
  6. Ben: The people I’ve spoken to about this likes this.
  7. Elena: What is it called?
  8. Srvaya: Ask how they like their course selection group.
  9. Michael: I am in a GC will all philly presidents so i can reach out in there.
  10. Kristen: This week marks the beginning of UMOJA Week! Please reach out and direct them to the UMOJA instagram page.
  11. Simon: Please keep the Big Idea Wellness project in mind. Please submit ideas related to the improvement of student mental health. I encourage you all to share, submit, and rate  ideas.
  12. Nick: How do we apply?
  13. Simon: Apply through the link.
  14. Maria: How much is the grant?
  15. Simon: It depends on the project itself.
  16. Stephen: The NEC was requested by Provost Pritchett to sit on the Consultative Review Committee to discuss the reappointment of the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. Interviews will be Sunday, and Kayla will drop the link in the slack.
  17. Ben: I am working on creating a sustainability committee for student governments in Philadelphia. It could be housed at the office of sustainability and have satellite locations at the partnering universities.
  18. Chase: We are looking for chairs for Model Congress. Please reach out for details.
  19. Elena: I received an email for a no-pressure networking event. Is that real?
  20. Michael: He is a work-study student in Sweeten Alumni House. It is real.
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. Michael: This Friday, Cabinet met with Business Services. Does anyone have questions?
  2. Kristen: What did you find out about excess food?
  3. Michael: Penn has a partnership with Philabundance. A lot cannot be donated as it is buffett style.
  4. Ben: They also so composting and will be publicizing this initiative.
  5. Chase: What came from the functionality of SEPTA with PennCard
  6. Michael: There are a lot of technicalities. The two cards would be difficult to merge, but there is some baseline technology that you can reach out to me about.
  1. PAVE Training
  1. Michael: Our next step in maintaining our AVEN group recognition is to undergo a PAVE Training. The training is scheduled before our next GBM on February 24 from 6:00-7:30pm in VP 6th Floor Meeting Room. This training is mandatory for all members.
  2. Brian: Could we move it closer to GBM?
  3. Michael: Yes.
  4. Dante: Is ICARE training happening on the 20th?
  5. Michael: Yes, but it overlaps with an event that we are hosting on the same day for PSG week.
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  1. Jordan: This Tuesday, Steering will meet and will be joined by SRFS. I would recommend attending.
  1. Upcoming University Council Meeting
  1. Jordan: This Wednesday, University Council will meet for an Open Forum meeting, featuring a presentation feature on Penn First Plus.
  2. Mercedes: Who will be presenting?
  3. Jordan: Marc Lo and the other directors of the program.
  1. UA Report
  1. PSG Week
  1. Brian: PSG Week starts tomorrow! Above is a listing of the events for the week.
  2. Stephen: Highly recommend attending as many events as you can! There are a lot of events that are aimed toward educating non-PSG members about what we do.
  3. Michael: Our event is a joint venture with SCUE. We will be in Hall of Flags 7:30-9 and will be asking for a few of you to “staff” the event. There will be 3 20-minute rounds of discussion. I will send this all out in an email later.
  1. Membership Update
  1. Brian: Unfortunately, Maher Abdel-Samad and Sophie Lovering decided to resign from the UA. They hope to continue their work outside of the UA.
  2. Arjun: Will there be a special election?
  3. Brian: No, it is too close to the next election.
  4. Stephen: In the first week of April. The candidates packets will be released at the end of the week.
  1. Member of the week
  1. Brian: MOTW will be moved to next week.
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs Board Meeting
  1. Mercedes: Friday, Penn Labs board met. We discussed possible restructuring for Penn Course Review to include more qualitative data, the first meeting of the PATH advisory group, as well as how the UA can help publicising Penn Labs products.
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Outlet Audit
  1. Chase: Jesse and I met with the building manager to discuss how we could fix this issue. Mr. Caputo was very helpful and receptive. He let us know that he would have a team come by and inspect all the outlets in the basement and fix them accordingly. He mentioned updating some of outlets to include USB ports. We also set up a monthly meeting with him, where we would check each floor of VP. This could be fixed in the next couple of weeks.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Class Conflict Resolution
  1. Jess: Rob was working on a continuation of Jen Richards’ and SCUE’s project last year to create a way to allow students with scheduling difficulties better opportunities to choose classes. According to Rob Nelson, this initiative presents institutional barriers that have proven to be very difficult to overcome, but that he hopes NGSS will be able to update this.
  2. Sravya: Have they talked to NGSS people?
  3. Jess: They have talked to the relevant administrators.
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Study Hall
  1. Priya: CBE Study Hall has been launched this semester and is being held every Monday and Thursday night from 7-9pm. There are 4 tutors who are paid $15 per hour and provide freshmen, sophomores and juniors help with CBE classes.
  1. Communications