Tairangi School Procedure Statement
APPOINTMENT OF STAFF NAG 3 Personnel
NAG 6 Legislation & Regulations
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- Appointments will be in accord with the good employer requirements of the State Sector Act 1988 and will be fair and impartial. The over-riding principle for any appointment shall be “the best person for the position”.
- The Board of Trustees endeavours to be an Equal Opportunities employer. Staff selections will take regard of any relevant EEO factors.
- For each appointment an appointments committee shall consist of:
- For fixed-term relieving positions (and ancillary staff) – the Principal and one or two members of the management team depending on the area of the school.
- For all permanent positions (except Principal position) – the Principal, 1-2 members of the management team.
- For the Principal’s position – BOT Chairperson, a delegated staff member, usually from the management team, an appropriate educational professional and at least two other BOT members.
- Assistance may be sought from outside education professionals if considered desirable by an appointments committee.
- All permanent positions will be advertised nationally.
- Prospective applicants will be sent a package consisting of a job description for the position, an application form, a school information sheet, and a person specification.
A covering letter listing application details, closing dates and interview dates will also be sent. (see attached documentation)
- All applications will be acknowledged.
- Wherever practical referees will be asked for written statements on applicants. Referees will also be contacted to provide a verbal statement. The convenor of the appointments committee will speak to referees.
- After the closing date the appointments committee will meet to short list applicants. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
- The appointments committee will determine the questions to be asked at the interview. All candidates will be asked the same questions.
- Once an appointments decision has been made the successful candidate will be contacted by phone by the committee convenor. On his/her acceptance, unsuccessful candidates will be contacted. All candidates interviewed will be contacted by telephone. When CV’s are returned to applicants they will be accompanied by a letter.
- A letter detailing employment arrangements ie employment agreements and starting dates will be sent to the successful applicant following the above process.
- The full Board of Trustees shall ratify the appointments committee’s decision at its next meeting.
Reviewed 25 February 2008
File:appointstaff36.doc Procedure Statement – Appointment of Staff