Position Overview: The Business Manager is responsible for the financial, and some operational and administrative aspects of this early childhood through 8th grade Waldorf School, including the execution of financial, personnel, and operational policies and procedures for the school. The Business Manager reports to the school’s Administrator, with a dotted line to the Board Treasurer. The nature of this working environment requires an appreciation of the principles behind the Waldorf curriculum, and an orientation toward service and collaboration to nurture and support a healthy and vital Waldorf school community.
• Previous business management experience within a private school environment, including budgeting, accounting, tuition and tuition adjustment (financial aid), personnel policies and procedures, employee benefits, and insurance.
• Ideal candidates will also have an understanding of, and experience with, the Waldorf school philosophy, including administrative and educational principles, techniques and methods.
• Must have demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a community of administrative staff, teachers and parents.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Warm customer service approach especially valued.
• Exceptional skills in resource management, and management of personnel and operational processes.
• Master’s degree in education, administration, or business preferred. Bachelor’s degree required.
ESSENTIAL QUALITIES & ATTRIBUTES
• Ability to work within a collaborative, team-oriented environment to set, meet and exceed organizational and functional goals.
• Work in alignment with Waldorf education and its underlying principles.
• Ability to perform QuickBooks financial transactions for a non-profit, and ability to produce, analyze and verify financial reports and statements from QuickBooks.
• Ability to manage the big picture as well as attend to bookkeeping details.
• Ability to follow defined procedures, revise them when and if necessary and create new ones when applicable.
• Facility with analyzing financial, personnel and enrollment data, and making effective reports to Administration and the Board.
• Ability to make decisions regarding financial aid for qualified families. Having familiarity with the SMART Financial Aid & Tuition Payments system would be ideal.
• Clear track record and experience in creating budgets, setting financial targets, and achieving or exceeding financial goals.
• Ideal candidates will also have experience handling the entire range of human resource matters which may arise in a small private school environment.
• Discerning with sensitive and confidential matters.
• Creative problem solver and implementer of agreed-upon solutions.
• Ability to effectively manage a small team of resources.
• Proficiency with Quickbooks, Microsoft Word and Excel applications.
• Maintains accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll to produce timely and accurate payments, billings, and financial reports. Maintains good working relationship with vendors, parents, teachers.
• Prepares and manages the annual budget in collaboration with the Administrator, Management Team, and the Board of Trustees.
• Responsible for all insurance and tax matters.
• Serves as the primary liaison for communications to the school’s parent community regarding financial, legal, and business matters.
• Ensures the creation and management of contractual documents such as letters of hire, enrollment, and Tuition Adjustment (financial aid) contracts.
• Oversees human resource compliance, records, and benefits.
• Manages and oversees the work of the business office staff, including book-keeping, outsourced IT and site/facilities.