Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – June 13, 2018
Keith Loutzenhiser Tom Vanderputten Jim Phillips Lee Troyer Bob Roth Tad Dorton
Leonard Gustin Nick Christofeno Don Fiwek Mike Beachy
- The minutes from the last meeting on May 9, 2018 had a correction. Steve Mack is not resigning as Fundraising Chairman. Bob Hagin is resigning.
- The minutes from May 9, 2018 were then approved.
- High water levels have kept trout fishing very good
- Despite LECTU inability to stock brown trout – Browns remain a high percentage of trout taken in routine catches
- Nick reports fishing The Meadow with good results. Beware Wilbur now has cows and a bull roaming the meadow.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report. The total summary for all accounts
was $ 27,750.50
- Received letter from Elkhart Conservation Club as receipt for donation from LECTU
- Discussion regarding the need to prevent account funds from being comingled. Keith assured that the raffle monies are separate from other accounts.
- It was decided to discontinue all accounts at Teachers and roll them into the Interra accounts.
- TU National needs to be notified that all deposits will be made to Interra.
- Summer Newsletter will be released later this summer (July/August)
- A summer workday schedule will be sent as a reminder
New County Park
- There are no new updates on the progress of the park.
- After meeting with Larry Koza, he does not support LECTU decision to create additional Catch/Release section on The Little Elkhart – see notes below regarding LECTU plans going forward
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
Summer Work Days
- June 23rd (cut trail)(catch poison ivy). Mike, Bob, Nick will cut trail, but need helpers
- The following days for stream restoration: July 14 & 28, August 4 & 18, September 15
- This will be Phase III of the Meadow Project.
- LECTU has invited both the Chicago Chapter and Central Indiana Chapter of TU.
- Wilbur Yoder has requested we work on debris under his old bridge.
- We have not moved forward on the trailer (notes below are summary of previous discussions)
- Mike has given check to Chris Miller and LECTU needs to move quickly to have the trailer ready for this years’ work days.
- Keith will arrange title and license
- Bob Roth will customize the interior after LECTU has the trailer
- Keith will meet with Chris Miller to get specs needed to apply for title and license.
- Mike wants to purchase some new equipment (chainsaw, log roller, etc.)
- The committee would like LECTU and Dar Deegan to do a presentation, and talk about the benefits of the Little Elkhart River
- Nick and Leonard attended the last meeting and the date is set for August 25th.
Middlebury Youth Fishing Contest
- The date for this event is August 11th
- Court Walker is the LECTU contact person and Court will need additional volunteers
- There will be a June 16th Fly Fishing youth instruction (Cheryl Mast 291-651-2811)
- Keith has agreed to represent LECTU
Charlie Ray Fly Fishing Class
- Unfortunately Charlie has had some health issues and the June 9th class was cancelled.
- A) Meeting with Larry Koza IDNR Regional Fisheries Biologist on May 11th. Mike Beachy, Nick Christofeno, Lee Troyer, and Leonard Gustin attended. 400 Kentucky hatchery brown trout were stocked in the Little Elkhart at CR 43. Discussion regarding the State raising brown trout. This will not occur in the foreseeable future due the State revamping all types of fisheries and unfortunately trout are down on the list. In addition there is fear of losing revenue from less rainbows being stocked. Larry was not in favor of expanding the Catch/Release in the newly proposed County Park.
- B) Mike had a phone conversation with Ed Evans on May 22. The Elkhart Conservation Club will be stocking browns at The Meadow section of the Little Elkhart sometime in June. LECTU will receive a good share of the remaining browns in the hatchery. Ed commented that they are changing to an every other year schedule to raising browns to obtain larger trout. In addition he has reduced the feeding of those fish to three times a week in order to not build up the urea in the holding tank. Brown trout eggs are on order for this fall. Ed wants to resign as hatchery manager in January 2019 and needs a replacement because he is too busy.
Valpo Fly Casting Club
- Valpo will have a fly casting competition from July 25 to July 28
- There will be several classifications (distance, one handed, two handed, etc.)
- This will be held at Rogers Lakewood Park
Next Meeting - July 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary