1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp Clabber Girl Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Clabber Girl Baking Soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3 Tbsp milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
Coarse sugar sprinkled on top
4 pints of each different berry, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cut and hulled.
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1. In a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, Clabber Girl baking powder, Clabber Girl baking soda, and salt and mix together until well blended.
2. Add the cubed butter to the mixer bowl and mix into the flour mixture.
3. In a small bowl, add the plain yogurt, milk, egg, and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients together until well blended.
4. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour/butter mixture in the stand mixer gradually and mix together on low speed until everything is blended well together.
5. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and using a large scoop, portion out the dough for the shortbread. One scoop of dough from the large scoop, make a nice size shortbread for jelly jars.
6. Bake shortbread at 400 degrees F for 18 minutes or until golden. Remove and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
7. While the shortbread is baking, prepare the berries. Place the berries all together in a small bowl and add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir together well. Let sit until the shortbread is baked and completely cooled. The berry juices will come out.
8. When the shortbread is cooled, it is time to prepare the mixed berry shortcakes in the jelly jars.
Cut each shortcake in half. I did have to trim down each half slightly to fit better into the jar. I saved the trimmings for a middle layer of shortbread.
9. Add the whipped topping to a piping bag to add it to the mason jar easily. You can also use a Ziplock bag and cut the tip off to pipe it out of the bag.
10. Layer the shortcake, mixed berries, and whipped topping in the jelly jars and then add additional berries and whipped topping to the very top of the dessert.
Recipe makes 10 Mixed Berry Shortcakes in jelly jar size jars.