Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – March 14, 2018
Mike Beachy Keith Loutzenhiser Jim Phillips Tom Vanderputten Lee Troyer Rick Weidow Penny Myers Bill Myers Dion Scott John Hollister
The minutes from the last meeting (February 14, 2018) were approved.
- On March 10 Mike caught 2 browns on streamers
- Water conditions were still high (off color slightly)
- The bottom in many places scoured to gravel, with many sand deposits on land
- Care should be taken when wading as the river has changed (new deeper areas)
- Mike presented the Indiana stocking program for 2018 (same as in previous years)
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report. The total summary for all accounts
was $ 27,160.53.
- LECTU received an additional donation from DR. Burns totaling $ 50. We also received $ 5 for a river guide.
- LECTU has received $ 742.50 from TU National for our 2017 membership rebate.
- Mike reported various items purchased for the May outing.
- The winter newsletter has been sent to members. Not yet posted to the web site.
- An abbreviated version will be sent in April. This will focus primarily on the May Outing.
- List of work days and the date of the casting class will be included.
- Another new member has requested the LECTU river fishing guide.
C.I.T.U. Film Festival
- March 18th at Jazz Kitchen in Broad Ripple
- Steve Mack and Mike Beachy will attend with LECTU Booth and sell raffle tickets.
- Cabela’s: Mack had booth for 2 days, sold $ 100 in tickets and signed up 3 new members.
- Midwest Fly Fishing show was on March 10 and 11. LECTU missed the show.
New County Park
- No Additional Information regarding the New County Park. Still waiting for County acquisition.
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
LECTU Fly Tying Dates
- Keith’s Home on March 17th and April 21st
- Please respond directly to Keith if you plan to attend.
Adopt A Trout
- Ticket Sales to Date $2,050 of returned tickets
- Grand Total with ticket sales from shows $ 3,800 to date.
Down by the River
- This is a recently published (Dave Weiner) children’s book. LECTU has purchased two each to be donated to both the Goshen and Middlebury libraries.
- An autographed copy has been purchased for a prize at the May Outing.
Summer Work Days
- March 31 (remove fallen logs), June 16 (cut trail),
- The following days for stream restoration: July 14 & 28, August 4 & 18, September 15
- Wilbur Yoder has requested we work on debris under his old bridge.
Annual Spring Outing
- Outing is Saturday May 5th. George Daniels has been confirmed as Guest Speaker
- Prizes: Received purchase from Sierra Trading Post mainly bags. Received 14 dozen flies from Half Buck Flies (put with leftover flies from 2017). In addition we have flies from LECTU fly tying.
- LECTU decided not to purchase a Headwaters Bamboo Fly Rod
- Keith reported that deposit has been sent for tent, tables, and chairs. Keith will follow up with the Parks Dept. (Tom Enright) regarding authorization needed.
- John Hollister will prepare the food this year (he has the secret recipe from Penny & Bill). In addition Dion Scott and Rick Weidow have volunteered to assist John.
- Keith will arrange the hotel accommodations for George Daniels on Friday May 4th.
- Responsibilities for the other Outing activities were reviewed and will be finalized at the April meeting.
- Mike has given check to Chris Miller
- Keith will arrange title and license
- Bob Roth will customize the interior after LECTU has the trailer
- Keith will meet with Chris Miller to get specs needed to apply for title and license.
- Nick has meeting schedule and will represent LECTU at the planning meetings.
- Advanced and Intermediate fly casting class will be held on June 9th.
- Lee Troyer has been attempting to set up a meeting with Larry Koza from the state regarding the stocking of brown trout in the Little Elkhart.
- Lee has continued to maintain contact with Richard Kesler of Seven Pines Hatchery. We are investigating the possibility of 1,000 brown trout (8” size) for either May or September of 2019. In addition we would request that Seven Pines holdover another 1,000 trout for stocking May 2020. These brown trout would then be in the 12’’ range.
Next Meeting - April 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary