ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2019-09-17 17:00 UTC (11:00 AM MDT and 19:00 CEST)

Where

Topic: Polar Semantics

Time: Sep 17, 2019 11:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/373253331

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,373253331# US (San Jose)

+16465588656,,373253331# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 373 253 331

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeih4mbzSw

Join by SIP

373253331@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

221.122.88.195 (China)

115.114.131.7 (India)

213.19.144.110 (EMEA)

103.122.166.55 (Australia)

209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)

64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

69.174.57.160 (Canada)

207.226.132.110 (Japan)

Meeting ID: 373 253 331

Agenda and minutes

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Shannon, Peter P., Bill Manley, Ruth Duerr, Pier Luigi, Siri Jodha
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2019-08-20
  1. Approved
  1. Review of action items
  1. Ruth action item once Pip is done with matrix to assess to see what info can gleaned - provide to Peter/Øystein when complete.  Hard deadline of Oct. 15
  1. Ruth has a presentation with a bit of a summary of the matrix 
  2. Bill also had a presentation at that IARPC meeting; direct link to PDF.
  3. Ruth has been on vacation or on travel since the last meeting, so hasn’t completed the work and won’t be able to until next month.
  1. Peter/Øystein to review results of the previous step and add anything from their work.
  1. Still pending.
  1. Peter to talk to  Peter Fox re students to do this (modelling/visualisation the matrix from 4b) work
  1. Preliminary discussions, but nothing concrete yet.
  2. Still pending, but part of broader discussion and related to a proposal in preparation.
  3. Update
  1. Mark hasn’t students to help. Still pending.
  2. Brendan Billingsley is be funded to help with this.  Needs two or more weeks lead time - given Oct. 15 as start date
  1. Ruth/Øystein to look at the vocabulary repositories for ANDS (Australia National Data Service) RVA
  1. Ruth has looked at this. Keeping this open.
  2. Update
  1. Ruth is done - Doesn’t have all the capabilities she needed but she submitted tickets re those capabilities.  Might be worth looking at if they are fixing them.
  1. Closing
  1. Øystein to push review of the TPDF semantic training and guided hackathon information material. Should be reviewed by slack announcements and full draft available early June for posting in TPDF website (can be amended later).
  1. The information material was updated.
  2. Keeping task open until the material is agreed.
  3. Update
  1. Comments by Siri Jodha should be mostly accepted.
  1. Closed
  1. Pier Luigi to keep this group informed the MOSAIC folks start moving on this.
  1. Keeping this open.
  2. Pier Luigi informed the group that he will be meeting with MOSAiC data team on August 27th. The meeting agenda is here:
  1. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uBpUTjTQAvHrH1jCy_lXy9ak-iqCEFI9848FNaKro5k/edit
  2. He has already had two meetings with PANGAEA staff to warm up the issue and there is general acknowledgement of the need for improved interoperability
  1. Siri Jodha mentioned that YOPP and MOSAiC are coordinating on data policy and procedures, including semantics. He will check whether the MOSAiC draft data policy document can be shared. He hasn’t asked but the primary MOSAiC data wrangler, Michael Gallagher (NOAA), is here at the YOPPSiteMIP workshop, and I’ll ask him tomorrow
  1. The YOPPSiteMIP group has a google doc with all the variables, by forecast center and observatory with columns for name in code, CF standard name, Long Name. will check on when this will be made public
  2. MIchael has code to generate MODFs (Merged Observatory Data Files) from this spreadsheet, will make public on github soon
  1. Shannon to follow up on the Polar Semantic Questionnaire with the Polar Libraries Colloquy.
  1. Pending report - doesn’t think that many people responded, will prod next Thursday
  1. TPDF sessions discussion.
  1. New task in last meeting.
  2. Øystein to inform Peter on this discussion and how semantics crosses the federated search boundary with schema.org.
  3. Everybody to review the session description again. Last chance for changes before it is published on the TPDF website.
  4. Closed - It’s published
  1. Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire.
  1. New task in last meeting.
  2. Ruth to glean from matrix any semantic info and add to questionnaire
  1. Ruth - Schedule a 2-3 hour telecon try for next week - doodle poll
  1. Make sure outputs are CC0 or PDM
  1. Third Polar Data Forum (TPDF)
  1. One pager on semantics.
  2. Addressing a more detailed agenda and the logistics aspects of the hackathon.
  1. Linkage with federated search session? Yes
  2. It might be good to have an introductory package sent out before the hackathon - Shannon to help prepping a package of docs for the semantics session
  3. Half day Intro session
  4. Half day joint federated and semantics focused on schema.org (including the Arctic Spatial Data Infrastructure (ASDI) group)
  5. Half day data interoperability session - ENVO/SWEET, etc.
  1. Status of responses to the Polar Vocabularies questionnaire
  1. Survey is available here:  https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs
  1. Results are here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1623mpRjWQcIIDY_zWp_cBOCpFEaADhs4GwoJOMHS-gg/edit#gid=2003460971
  1. Potential input could also be provided by the community Shannon is contacting.
  1. Pending report - she will ping them this week
  1. Potential input could also be gleaned from the EarthCube Resource Registry once it is in operation
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Pier -
  1. Interacting with Mosaic/Pangaea - how to link with the data streams that are coming out.  Are using parts of ENVO - have shared their list of parameters, so we can map to it.  Looking inward mostly - but trying to broaden their perspective.  
  2. Asked to contribute to several proposals
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1700 UTC.
  2. Next meeting will be October 15, at 11 am MDT = 1700 UTC = 19:00 CEST.
  3. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.