Concurrent Learning Expectations for Parents and Families
A student participating in a remote learning environment is just as much a family commitment as it is a commitment by the student participating in the classes. The entire household will likely be impacted when a student is engaged in a remote class because the camera can see and the microphone can hear so much of what is around the student. We ask that family members work with each student as he/she is engaged in the remote learning environment to adhere to these expectations to better ensure a student’s success.
- Help your student identify a suitable workspace to participate in remote learning and to complete assignments.
- Remind and help your student log in 5 minutes before the remote class session begins.
- Remind your student to have materials ready daily when he/she checks into class, to be respectful, to listen actively, to actively participate when appropriate, and to complete and submit assignments on time.
- No one other than the student is allowed to use chat features or engage in the remote learning class.
- Audio or video-recording with any technology (i.e., cellphones, cameras, recorders, and/or computers) is prohibited unless there is prior approval.
- Do not enter a remote class you have not been given permission to enter by the teacher or school administrator.
- If you need to speak with your child during a class session, first mute your child’s microphone.
- If a parent/guardian has a question or concern, please email your child’s teacher. Please do not disrupt the class with a question.
- Contact technical support if your student experiences problems with his/her video, microphone, or speakers.
- Families are to provide and be mindful of a positive learning space and what is displayed in the video background. All remote learning spaces should be safe, respectful, and inclusive for all students. Student backgrounds should be appropriate while sharing video.
- Ensure background noises are minimized. Examples of noises that can disrupt your student’s learning and the learning of the class are music, television, video games, pets, conversations, other children, etc.
- Check with your student to ensure he/she completes assignments and turns in the work on time.
- Remind your student not to share his/her login information for the remote classes.
- Ensure that your student is dressed properly for participating in remote classrooms. Students should not be in their pajamas/sleepwear during remote class settings. Students should wear appropriate clothing as they would for a regular school setting.
- Please review and remind your students to adhere to all expectations identified in the district’s Personal Mobile Computing Guide. The Personal Mobile Computing Guide can be found on the district’s website.
Remind your student of these Unacceptable Behaviors:
- Vulgarity (no cursing, vulgar language, or inappropriate gestures, memes, etc.)
- Negative feedback on other’s work and/or comments
- Posting negativity or bullying others in chats
- Unacceptable noises in background, including loud music and noisy pets
- Smoking, vaping, drinking alcoholic beverages, or using drugs as well as pretending to participate in these activities
- Brandishing weapons or look-a-like weapons
- Sending discriminatory or harassing digital communications
- Disrupting a remote class where the student is a member
- Trespassing into and/or disrupting another remote class session where the student is not a member
These inappropriate behaviors and others will receive appropriate consequences in accordance with School Board Policy JICDA and Administrative Rule JICDA-R Student Code of Conduct. Consequences may result in temporary or permanent loss of synchronous learning opportunities.
Parents/guardians should email your child’s assistant principal, school counselor, or the child’s teachers with any questions or concerns regarding privacy or remote classroom expectations.
Source: Detroit Public Schools Community District, SMSS Virtual Classroom Expectations, and Garden Grove Unified School District