Hooked on a Design
Introduction to Wood Working
This project is an introduction to wood working. This project will have you design, plan, and build a wooden creation that has three coat wall hooks (all mounted together - NOT separate as shown in the image on the right above).
This project will cover:
- Universal Saw (and Bandsaw)
- Coping Saw (and Scroll Saw)
- Cordless Drill (and Drill Press)
- Sandpaper/Files/Rasps (and Belt/Disc Sander)
- Metric and Imperial measures.
- Plywood and Pine Board.
- Dowels (optionally)
- You need to come up with a visual prototype of your design. FIRST do some sketches on blank paper to explore your ideas and THEN do a scale drawing (1:1 scale) on a piece of graph paper of your design. You must include a FRONT view and a SIDE view with measurements.
- Your design must be NO MORE than 50 cm wide.
- No more than 50 cm wide.
- Must have three hooks (all connected together).
- Hooks can either be dowels OR shapes (animals, trees, mountains, leaves, flowers,...) OR dowels.
- IF you choose dowels for the hooks, then the backdrop must be a scene (eg. Mountain Landscape).
- Shapes which are designed to be seen from the FRONT. Must be mounted on a narrow piece of wood.
- Dowels mounted on a shaped backdrop.
- Shapes which are designed to be seen from the SIDE. Must be mounted on a wider piece of wood (1x6 or 1x4 Pine Board).