DICKINSON AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY
Library Board Meeting
November 13, 2018
Present: Rita Ennen, Johnna Douthit, April Frank, Paula Martin, Nikki Wolla, and special guest Carl F. W. Larson.
Carl F. W. Larson made a presentation to the board of his extensive automotive history archives.
- He is offering to donate his automobile archive collection consisting of magazines, pamphlets and books (no repair manuals) with a total shelf space requirement of at least 295 feet.
- His donation would be bound by a legal agreement (to be drawn up) with the following collection provisions: non-circulating (would prefer it to be housed in an ‘archives’ room) and the collection is permanent (library could not sell or dispose of in the future).
- Mr. Larson is not asking for an immediate decision but wanted the board to keep it in mind as it moved forward with a library expansion.
- The board asked if he approached any other group. He said ‘no’ as the Detroit car museum has been closed due to funding issues and he would like the DPL to house the collection.
- The board complimented his collection and appreciated his time. Mr. Larson exited.
- The board tabled making any decisions on pursuing the collection donation.
Review of Minutes: Motion to Approve by Johnna and seconded by April
Approval of Expenditures: Motion to approve by April and seconded by Johnna
Financial Report: Actual expenses thru October were presented for review
- The two part-time staff positions have been filled.
- Full-time position (to cover community outreach, advertising, etc.) will be posted in December and hopefully filled in January.
- The current office space is no longer adequate for the staffing level. Converting the study room to another office was discussed and supported by Paula.
- Rita is on the ODIN System Review Committee for the state and will be in Grand Forks the first week of December.
- Architect drafts and progress
- Updated library renderings were distributed with two different concepts on the greenspace outside the building.
- Public forums for comment may be scheduled for as soon as January.
- The library expansion is on the City Commission agenda for the December 4th meeting at City Hall at 4:30 p.m. Board member support at the meeting would be welcome.
- Peanut Free Policy
- Legal review of the policy brought to the board by library staff member Jade last meeting was completed and presented to the board.
- After a lengthy discussion of the merit of the policy, impact to library staff, public use of the space and burden of enforcement on the public by staff the board suggested a peanut/ tree nut free policy for children’s programs only but not for the rest of the library events, staff lunches or public use of the space.
- The board wants to ensure the suggested change would be positively received by the staff and asked Rita to present the board’s suggestion at the next staff meeting for comment.
- The board will table voting on the policy until Rita is able to report back.
- Water billing issues
- The large increase in the water bill was determined to be due to the sprinkler system on the parking lot across the street from the library.
- The sprinkler system has been shut-off and will not be turned on next year because the vegetation is mature enough to not require watering.
- Old Fashioned Christmas
- The Library Foundation’s 5th Annual Old Fashioned Christmas will be held December 7th at 6 pm- 9 pm.
- Tickets are on sale now for $20 each.
- Posters were distributed to board members to publicize.
- Friends Meet ‘n Greet
- The Friends of the Library are hosting a Meet ‘n Greet event on November 15th from 6-7 p.m.
Motion to adjourn meeting made by April and seconded by Johnna. Meeting adjourned.
Minutes submitted by April Frank.